Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DCR-150 Macro

Will this work on my film based camera lenses?

I saw mention of this gadget in another thread here but it was about using it on a digital. I assume it will work but wanted verification that it definitely will and if it will I'm buying one in a few days.

DCR-150 Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

07-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It works but it really depends on the lens. If you have one in a local store you should bring the lenses you want to use with it and check the viewfinder for vignetting.

I don't have all of the lenses you have on your signature but I can help try out the vignetting from a DCR250 if you want. The 250 does the same kind of thing but less magnification. This might or might now affect the amount of vignetting though.
07-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Physically it only fits a certain range of lens sizes unless you add a step-up/down ring. But as its basically just a high-quality closeup filter that snaps on instead of screws on, it really shouldn't care about film versus digital. I have only used mine on digital but if a closeup filter works for your film lens, this will too. But MUCH better results.
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think Film vs Digital will matter since the cropping of digital actually allows this adapter to be used with more lenses wihtout vignetting (although technically it's the same as cropping a film image...).

The adapter vignettes on my 28-75/2.8 Tamron on digital so this particular lens will vignette even worse on film. If you're comfortable with cropping your results it wont be too much of a problem, but you should check with the lenses that you plan to use for it...

07-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You got me curious, so I just tried my Raynox 150 with my M135/3.5 on my wife's K1000. No vignetting visible in viewfinder. I can't prove there was no measurable corner darkening of any kind, but definitely not the "tunnel" effect one can clarly see with other combinations filter/lens combos. Of course, the K1000 lacks DOF preview, so I guess I can't be sure vignetting wouldn't have happened stopped down, but actually, oesn't that work the other way around - vignetting more liekly wide open?

I'd assume a wider angle lens would show vignetting, as it can with APS-C too, but closeup up adapters like the Raynox acheive greatest magnification with telephoto lenses, so you wouldn't normally want to be using with anything wider.
07-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Andi, Lee and Marc.

I would be using this on the Sigma 70-300mm, and probably on the MZ-7 which I have been using lately more than the MZ-5. The 70-300mm has a filter ring of 58mm. So that adapter that they say comes with it at B&H, should be work. And if it doesn't work I can return it.
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #7

I'd say vignetting depends on the size of the front element.
While my DA 16-45, DA 50-200, M 50 f1.4 don't vignette, my Sigma 24-60 with it's large front element does vignette, getting worse the wider I get (and badly, like a circular fisheye at 24 mm). This with a DCR250 on digital, it could get worse on film, depending on the lens.

07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DCR-250 vignettes badly all through the mid-range focal lengths on my 55-300mm. The DCR-150 does not have this problem when mounted on the same lens. Much nicer working distance too.
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
zorobabel, thanks for the comments. I still won't know for sure because I don't have any of those lenses. I did at one time have a 19-35mm and vignetted even without anything attached to it. Course it was an off brand lens and I don't remember f number range. I got rid of pretty quickly.

Dan, thanks for letting me know about the DCR-150 doesn't do this on your 55-300mm. Perhaps it will work okay.

I'm going to order it next week, I think. As I said, if it doesn't work correctly, I can return it. Or if the vignetting isn't too bad, I don't mind cropping.
07-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was just reading this other thread where I got this idea for this adapter and found that the 250 version of this adapter isn't that much more expensive than the 150. I just checked with B&H and they have the 250 for $5 more than the 150.

Raynox | DCR-250, 2.5x Super Macro Lens | DCR-250 | B&H Photo

Now I also read that some use a step ring instead of the adapter that comes with this product.

Does anyone have any photos they'd like to share using the 250 or the 150? I'd like to see how accurate they are on Digital cameras. I do have plans to go digital one of these days.
07-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I was just reading this other thread where I got this idea for this adapter and found that the 250 version of this adapter isn't that much more expensive than the 150. I just checked with B&H and they have the 250 for $5 more than the 150.

Raynox | DCR-250, 2.5x Super Macro Lens | DCR-250 | B&H Photo

Now I also read that some use a step ring instead of the adapter that comes with this product.

Does anyone have any photos they'd like to share using the 250 or the 150? I'd like to see how accurate they are on Digital cameras. I do have plans to go digital one of these days.
Based on the numbers and reports of users, it seems to me the 150 with a 50-300 lens is the most useful option. The 250 is too strong, with too short a working distance for ease of use.

Dave
07-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Dave. I see the DCR-150 has five stars while the DCR-250 only has four and a half. I'll get the 150. Hope to order this Saturday.
07-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
That would be me. Personal decision, but I found the adapter big and clunky enough that I was loathe to even bring the lens with me. Whereas with a simple stepping ring, the whole thing fits in the little zipper pouch that came with my SD card. In any case, I needed a ring of some kind to use the Raynox with most my primes, since the adapter only fits 52mm rings and larger. So I could either use the clip on with a 49-52, or just use the 49-43 and skip the clip on. The latter made more sense to me.

QuoteQuote:
Does anyone have any photos they'd like to share using the 250 or the 150?
Sure! Here's one (digital) from the 150 on my DA70, which gives about 1:2 magnification. It's f/11, so DOF is OK, although not deep enough to have everything in focus. But check out the lower left to see a corner of the image that is in focus, so you can judge see IQ in the corners, at least on APS-C.

Here's a shot from the 150 with the M135/3.5, which yields around 1:1:

07-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
WOW!! Marc, these are awesome photos. If this adapter does anywhere close to what's done for you, I got to have it!!

I'll check for some step up rings also. I will probably use this with the 70-300mm until I can get a small zoom or prime lens.

Thanks for the help and uploading the photos.
07-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks! Yes, the quality of these Raynox lenses is pretty incredible - especially when one considers how *terribly* the cheap single-element close up lenses perform, and the fact that the Raynox lenses are pretty inexpensive too.