Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Paul,

You are absolutely right, and i did get the "bias" on the review. And to be honest, the discussion was changing directions so no, i did not read about the rain part.

The biggest issue for me is NOT paying $200 and the lens not resisting the desert... the biggest concern is NOT having a lens to shoot during the festival, because most likely will be the only lens i'll be taking there...

07-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Hi Paul,

You are absolutely right, and i did get the "bias" on the review. And to be honest, the discussion was changing directions so no, i did not read about the rain part.

The biggest issue for me is NOT paying $200 and the lens not resisting the desert... the biggest concern is NOT having a lens to shoot during the festival, because most likely will be the only lens i'll be taking there...
I totally get your concern, I was thinking more in terms of water resistance, whereas dust can more easily penetrate, and obviously cause more long term repercussions. Hopefully I will have the lens by the end of next week in plenty of time to give you a good idea of the build; I have the 50-135 to compare it to, so even if I don't actually put it through a gauntlet, I can at least give you a good visual inspection!

It is rather disapointing that pentax doesn't give hard details on these kinds of things (the other side to the coin - it is great they actually make lenses this durable...). Maybe they have a silent replacement warranty? The odds most people would actually take their lenses into bad enough conditions that they would get permanently damaged are probably slim enough that this may in fact be the case.
07-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Okay guys,

I am going to the desert end of next month, and I am thinking about buying the new DA WR lens to match my K10D.

(snip)

What desert are you going to? I live pretty near the Mohave desert and have been tinkering with photography there for over 15 years. I once dropped my camera in the dirt. That was the only time I've had an issue with dust. This was well before the invention of sealed lenses or even the digital slr.

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 07-25-2009 at 08:38 AM.
07-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Okay guys,

I am going to the desert end of next month, and I am thinking about buying the new DA WR lens to match my K10D.

But as I went to the Pentax Imaging website to check weights (i was concerned about them being heavy) I noticed the following:

DA* 16-50: The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions, making the DA Star 16-50mm lens a perfect companion for the weather-resistant PENTAX DSLR bodies.

DA 18-55 WR:
Weather-resistant to handle damp, inclement conditions.

Well, it seems to me that the levels of WR for these lenses are totally different. Could someone confirm if this is accurate? And if so, is it worthy to buy the new 18-55 WR for a week long trip in the middle of the desert??

Thanks in advance,

BB
I think the WR of both lenses are the same. Probably just want to make more money off the DA*.

07-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hi Paul,

Is this the festival, you're planning on going to :
I went to burning man {imgs}: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
07-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Hopefully I will have the lens by the end of next week in plenty of time to give you a good idea of the build; I have the 50-135 to compare it to, so even if I don't actually put it through a gauntlet, I can at least give you a good visual inspection.
That'd be great Paul!

Thanks a ton!
07-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
What desert are you going to? I live pretty near the Mohave desert and have been tinkering with photography there for over 15 years. I once dropped my camera in the dirt. That was the only time I've had an issue with dust. This was well before the invention of sealed lenses or even the digital slr.
I am going to Burning Man, in Nevada. I'm not sure about the desert name.

And i'll be staying for more than 7 days... so it is not a short trip.

07-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

Great find!!!!! Thanks for posting!

And yes, I am heading to Burning Man in less than a month!! Surreal!!!

I already contact that guy and asked for his opinion. Apparently, he managed to also have a K10D with kit lens working fine in there.

So it seems like the WR could be even safer!
07-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Hey! thats my post.
I wrote you back, and then after re-reading what I posted a 8 months or so ago, It still holds true. The K10/20 held up fine. 16-50 is an amazingly tightly sealed lens, no issues.

What you guys are discussing in this thread is interesting though. I'm going again this year, and have the new WR 18-55 that is making the trip. The point about it not being as tightly sealed didn't even dawn on me until reading this. But try this on: when we think about it, its not the lens that will break down, its dust getting in the camera that is worrysome. It may happen, but if ANY lens were to break, it'd probably be the higher end DA* with its internal motor. The kit lens relies on the internal camera motor for focusing and has much less moving parts than a DA*.

Just my 2c before really knowing how the WR lenses are sealed up. Lets meet on the playa and compare sensor dust!
-Cory
07-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I got me a WR lens this afternoon. and I might use it under the elements since we got a very unpredictable summer weather here this year. there was quite a rainshower this evening but I got house-arrested for buying the lens. HSBC held a fireworks display this evening as well, eventhough the weather doesn't seem to cooperate with the event. could had been the perfect time to try out the WR lens for the fireworks display with a rainy background. I could just imagine the photos might had come out great in that particular scenario.

anyway, as I had already mentioned, the WR kit lens have a nice feel to it (even for a plastic kit lens). I haven't really tried shooting too much with it yet or atleast do some in-depth IQ analysis. but basing from the initial test shots that I took, the results are moderately good. though I still have to see whether the results could be improved as I haven't really tried to use or maximize the lens' real potential.

as for the WR capability of the 18-55, basing from the lens' manual, it appears that the lens as defined, has a simplified weather resistant capability. probably because the WR DA doesn't have a SDM motor.
07-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
as for the WR capability of the 18-55, basing from the lens' manual, it appears that the lens as defined, has a simplified weather resistant capability. probably because the WR DA doesn't have a SDM motor.
I hadn't thought of that, and it makes quite alot of sense. With the screwdrive, there isn't any electronics within the lens that would require significant protection. As far as IQ goes, from everything that has been discussed the new 18-55 wr is the same optically as the 18-55 version II lens - and there are multitudes of discussions regarding that lens in existence. Thanks for the info on the new acquisition, and good luck with the house arrest
07-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Bbear, got the email from adorama that the lens is shipping...via fedex smartpost, ugh. i sent them an email asking to upgrade to next cheapest shipping method for the 3.95difference (theyve never used smartpost, it is the slowest shipping method on earth; if they dont catch it, i fear it wont get here for a month, if at all!). I hope they can catch it before its gone to smartpost tomorrow. I was expecting it would be a day or two before shipped, then the usual ups or fedex regular delivery; i am sincerely afraid it will never get here via smartpost, argh!!!!!!! we shall see what happens tomorrow.
07-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CoryV Quote
Hey! thats my post.
I wrote you back, and then after re-reading what I posted a 8 months or so ago, It still holds true. The K10/20 held up fine. 16-50 is an amazingly tightly sealed lens, no issues.

What you guys are discussing in this thread is interesting though. I'm going again this year, and have the new WR 18-55 that is making the trip. The point about it not being as tightly sealed didn't even dawn on me until reading this. But try this on: when we think about it, its not the lens that will break down, its dust getting in the camera that is worrysome. It may happen, but if ANY lens were to break, it'd probably be the higher end DA* with its internal motor. The kit lens relies on the internal camera motor for focusing and has much less moving parts than a DA*.

Just my 2c before really knowing how the WR lenses are sealed up. Lets meet on the playa and compare sensor dust!
-Cory

Right on Cory! Thanks a ton for the input! I'll be ordering the 18-55WR from Adorama as well!

I am sending you another email regarding the event!

Later man!
07-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Bbear, got the email from adorama that the lens is shipping...via fedex smartpost, ugh. i sent them an email asking to upgrade to next cheapest shipping method for the 3.95difference (theyve never used smartpost, it is the slowest shipping method on earth; if they dont catch it, i fear it wont get here for a month, if at all!). I hope they can catch it before its gone to smartpost tomorrow. I was expecting it would be a day or two before shipped, then the usual ups or fedex regular delivery; i am sincerely afraid it will never get here via smartpost, argh!!!!!!! we shall see what happens tomorrow.

Hi Paul!

I am ordering the 18-55WR as well...

Thanks for the feedback!
07-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Updates:

I received my 18-55WR!! I had actually forgotten how small and light the kit lens was. I was a bit mad for paying $200 for a lens and not even getting the pouch. I guess I am a bit spoiled.

Anyways, the manual does refer to the DA WR as a different level of sealing than the DA*. More updates after coming back from the desert!