Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
The lens cap does appear to be authentic, though; I can't say for sure, because I haven't seen many. Most "Asahi Pentax" lens caps have larger "Asahi" lettering, and date from the upper-1-million serial number range; pre-million lens caps are often just "Pentax," but low-1-million lenses are often labeled "Honeywell Pentax" in about the same size as the "Asahi" is written here. Unfortunately, lens caps are rarely sold now with the lens they were shipped with, so my information as well as any implications here are pretty vague.
From the pictures, the serial number is 1444404 (which is a fairly neat number, if you like fours). I have an early Super-Takumar 28/2.5 and the serial number is 882343, the font is different, and the order of the information around the name ring is different (the ebay lens has Super-Takumar 1:3.5/28 s/n, mine says s/n Super-Takumar 1:3.5/28). I also have an early Super-Tak 55/1.8 with similar fonts to my 28/3.5 and a serial number of 834036 (ie in the 800,000 range).

But the font on the lens cap of both lens is the same as the ebay lens lens cap. I am sure that the lens cap of my two are original because the lenses are mint. All the later Super-Taks I have, have the same name plate fonts as the ebay lens, and the same information order, but their lens caps have ASAHI PENTAX in a more squashed font. And the serial numbers are similar to the ebay lens (105/2.8 235xxxx, 150/4 194xxxx, 35/3.5 160xxxx, ie all in the over 1 million range).

I think that the lens cap and lens of that ebay lens are not contemporary.

QuoteQuote:
Anyhow, I have a Takumar 105/2.8 that has an infinitely variable aperture. It isn't a big deal. It would be a big deal if there are no indents at all--which would make aperture setting by touch alone practically impossible.
You mean that you can place the aperture ring between indents? Sure, I can do that too, but I find it more useful to count the clicks so that I know the aperture. Anyway, with my Super-Tak 28/3.5 the clicks are so assertive (I cannot think of the right word) that it is not possible to keep the aperture ring between indents, it just insists on clicking on an indent.

I have a Hanimex 135/2.5 that has infinite variable aperture, but that is because it is a junk lens and I removed the indent ball bearing to put in another lens

Richard