Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #1

Decided to choose Lenses over K7 Body...

Ok, after a lot of reading and soul searching I've decided to stick with my K10D and invest my money in a couple of lenses instead.

My current lens stock consists of the std K10D kit lens plus:

Sigma 10-20mm
Pentax K 50mm f1.7 Manual
Chinon K-Mount 50mm f1.7 Manual
Vivitar K-Mount 28mm f2.8 Manual

I take mostly urban/architecture/landscape/abstract shots, but I am keen to start experimenting in different areas (i.e candid portraits, street scenes, etc.)

I was considering the following two lenses which would come in at around the same price as the K7 Body (around £1100 here in the UK)

FA 31mm f1.8 ltd
FA 77mm f1.8 ltd

Would this seem like a good idea to you guys?
Also does anyone know where I can get a good price on these two lenses (preferably in the UK)?

Thanks a lot,
Mark Morb

07-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If i could chose, i would pick:

-FA 31mm f1.8 ltd

and some macro (you told that you do abstract shots)

-Sigma 70mm f2,8 macro (good focal length for street/portraits also)

reason why i picked sigma is, that it´s perfect for portraits and you get superb macro-lense at same time. Also you can start to take macro´s now...

(fa 77mm 1,8 ltd is great, but it´s too close for you´re 50mm)
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Not sure what the UK prices are, but the 31 and 77 seems like way more than just a body.

US prices...

31mm limited is just a tad shy of $1000
77mm limited is about $730

For about $1700 and change vs. a $1300 K7 body...

How about the DA 35mm Macro Limited and a K7 Body for about the same price
07-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote
Not sure what the UK prices are, but the 31 and 77 seems like way more than just a body.
US prices...
31mm limited is just a tad shy of $1000
77mm limited is about $730
For about $1700 and change vs. a $1300 K7 body...
How about the DA 35mm Macro Limited and a K7 Body for about the same price
Thanks for the replies so far...
Those prices are very steep...there are several places in the UK doing them for around:
31mm Ltd £600
77mm Ltd £500
Which is £1100, roughly the expected price for the K7 body here in the UK...

Some interesting recommendations for other lenses to look at though...I'd never considered a Macro lens...but now it's been mentioned....

07-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've made exactly the same decision for the time being. Lenses now that will complete a few holes and selling a few I don't need/use. The body will come either this fall or next spring.

Seems like a good lineup for your type of shooting.
07-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just got the 77mm today from BH photo. It was like 480 pounds, which is a bargain considering the current prices in England, but then I had to pay about 100 pounds in VAT and customs charges, which is still cheaper than most places round here, but not as cheap as I'd have liked.
07-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ok, after a lot of reading and soul searching I've decided to stick with my K10D and invest my money in a couple of lenses instead.
QuoteQuote:
I've made exactly the same decision for the time being. Lenses now that will complete a few holes and selling a few I don't need/use. The body will come either this fall or next spring.
I'm in the same boat. Don't think I'd duck my money on a K7 just yet. Possibly sometime in the future. I find the K200D pretty good for pretty much everything I need for now. A lens that fits my changing "style" would really help.

But if I get called to do a wedding... well, haha... that's a different story

I'd second the DA35 Macro Limited. It's a fantastic lens... and a bit of a quirky one too. If you're okay with F2.8 for the most part, you can take some amazing images with this lens.

07-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I'm in the same boat. Don't think I'd duck my money on a K7 just yet. Possibly sometime in the future. I find the K200D pretty good for pretty much everything I need for now. A lens that fits my changing "style" would really help.

But if I get called to do a wedding... well, haha... that's a different story

I'd second the DA35 Macro Limited. It's a fantastic lens... and a bit of a quirky one too. If you're okay with F2.8 for the most part, you can take some amazing images with this lens.
I'd love to get a 35mm...I'm just so confused as it's not much different than a 31mm limited as far as focal length goes and has macro (hard to justify getting both).

I may just get a flektogon 35mm macro 2.4 though instead...half price
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would also love a K-7, but I'm going to wait on a price drop and to see if these first-gen bugs (vertical lines, etc) get sorted. In the meantime, I'm stocking up on wishlist lenses before lens prices go through the roof.
07-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did something similar. I upgraded to a K20d and bought a lens. The total was less than the K-7.
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Screw it...I bought the K-7 now. Summer is busy season for our business and I don't want to wait until it's cheaper next Spring when I can begin enjoying the new body now.

c[_]

P.S. It is a great camera by the way. Quite the upgrade from the K10.
07-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Screw it...I bought the K-7 now. Summer is busy season for our business and I don't want to wait until it's cheaper next Spring when I can begin enjoying the new body now.

c[_]

P.S. It is a great camera by the way. Quite the upgrade from the K10.
One choice does not fit all. Enjoy!!
07-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

K-7 body will only come down pricewise, high end lenses most probably will only go up pricewise... especially if new Hoya's strategy for high end lenses is 1) to scare existing into buying 'em and 2) hoping that people coming from other systems for K-7 as their second-third camera will be ready to pay new prices as they should be already owners of high end glass from other camps and so are people w/ means...

so buy lenses.
07-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
K-7 body will only come down pricewise, high end lenses most probably will only go up pricewise... especially if new Hoya's strategy for high end lenses is 1) to scare existing into buying 'em and 2) hoping that people coming from other systems for K-7 as their second-third camera will be ready to pay new prices as they should be already owners of high end glass from other camps and so are people w/ means...

so buy lenses.
Although, if I read your signature correctly, you've sold your K20 and K10 and are waiting on a K-7?
07-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Morb Quote
Thanks for the replies so far...
Those prices are very steep...there are several places in the UK doing them for around:
31mm Ltd £600
77mm Ltd £500
Which is £1100, roughly the expected price for the K7 body here in the UK...

Some interesting recommendations for other lenses to look at though...I'd never considered a Macro lens...but now it's been mentioned....
I hope you bought the lenses, because these days their prices are nowhere close to what you've described (though maybe you still can find some retailers who have some sense of decency left in them...)
Anyway, if you can get 31 for £600 go for it. It'll worth around £1000 (in used condition) soon. And it's fabulous lens. I have just shot nearly all of my sister's wedding with this lens. It's seriously one great lens.
as for 77, I can't comment. Lot of people love it but it's out of reach for me...

good luck.

BR
Peter