Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Question about DA70/2.4

I'm about to buy a DA70. Or at least I think I am.

From the pictures I have seen of the lens it seems to have an inbuilt retractable lens hood. The specifications says a filter (49mm) fits. But I see no threads in the hood and behind it everything gets dark in the pictures.
Where and how do you attach any filter? Is the hood thingy detachable with the filter threads behind it somewhere?

thanks,

05-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no filter thread on the lens hood. But you can remove the lens hood and fix a filter instead (49mm).
05-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The lens itself has the 49mm filter threads. The lens hood screws into this. It is a two piece "hood" that extends to about double its collapsed length. If you want to mount a filter, you need to put it on first, then screw the hood into the filter threads.

"System" works okay. Only thing a little odd, (and all limiteds are a little bit "odd") is that you have to use the push-on lens cap. The snap-on type won't attach to the hood, (but will attach directly to the lens if you don't use the hood at all).

- - - - -

edited to add:

The push-on lens cap will affix itself to either the naked lens, a lens with any number of 49mm filters attached, or to the lens hood. The internal dimensions of the lens cap are to fit a 49mm dimension. (So, by implication, the size of the hood opening is 49mm.)

Last edited by volosong; 05-04-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add'l info
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

70 Limited

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I'm about to buy a DA70. Or at least I think I am.

From the pictures I have seen of the lens it seems to have an inbuilt retractable lens hood. The specifications says a filter (49mm) fits. But I see no threads in the hood and behind it everything gets dark in the pictures.
Where and how do you attach any filter? Is the hood thingy detachable with the filter threads behind it somewhere?

thanks,
I am not fond of the way the lens shade works. If you wish to keep it on all of the time, which I would prefer, the lens cap does not attach properly. However, if you wish to talk about the qualities of the lens in terms of contrast, color rendition, sharpness and bokeh quality, that could be more crucial in determining if you purchase the lens. The lens is "Gorgeous" on all of the above points. Focusses quickly and the AF is very accurate.

A very fine and "Brutally Sharp" lens.

Ben

05-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all. I think I understand: The retractable hood is screwed at place (in the filter threads) and I will be able to remove it thus getting a lens I can handle in the usual way. Do I get it right then?

I guess I'll just remove the hood and place an ordinary 49mm tele lens hood in it's place. I'm not at all fund of retractable hoods as I have my lenses standing up, facing down, in my bag with no lens caps attached to them. I like to have it that way for fast lens switching and no freak'n caps to loose or spend time on.

I think I know what the lens does and not does. I'm not expecting it to be free from CA or pin sharp wide open. This is for my travel kit and I want it to small and light weight, waiting in the bag for the occassional need of a longer reach than 30mm. 70 is a bit long for me and I am thinking of replacing it later to the DA*55/1.4 which should suit me better. (Then I don't mind taking the extra weight, just as i will do with the Sigma 30/1.4)

thanks again,
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B:
I think I understand: The retractable hood is screwed at place (in the filter threads) and I will be able to remove it thus getting a lens I can handle in the usual way. Do I get it right then?
Yup. Correct!

I need to make a correction to my previous post, Jonas. The OEM lens cap will fit onto the hood only. It will NOT fit over the naked lens nor over a 49mm filter. If you elect to go without the hood, you will need an "old fashioned" 49mm cap, (if you decide to "protect" the front element of your very expensive lens from damage when you "throw" it into your bag...unprotected. Just kidding. You know what you are doing.).

With the lens hood attached, I would not call the 70/2.4 a "pancake" lens. It is almost the same size as the 77/1.8 lens. However, without the lens hood, it is almost a clone (in size) as the 21/3.2 limited. Only way to tell them apart is by reading the labeling on the lens.

Personally, I'm a hood guy. Only time I use a lens without a hood is because I don't have one for that particular lens. I also use the caps. I've never lost a front element cap, but have come close many, many times to losing a rear element cap. Some of them just don't fit very tight. And, these are Pentax caps. Tamron rear caps are the worst. Sigma too. Just can't get them to stay on tight.

You'll like the 70 limited. I have only used my 77/1.8 once since I got the 70, and that was because I needed the speed (indoor volleyball).
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Steven,

Lol - no I won't use the lens without a hood. I just want to replace the retractable hood with a more oldfashinoed rigid one. Then I'l throw it into my bag, face downwards with no cap attached. I don't have time for those caps when I want to switch lens; it's enough to fiddle with the rear lens cap.

I think I'll like the size and the weight of the DA70. In the end I know it will be to long for me as I mentioned. I'm very curious about the DA*55/1.4 and hope we'll see a new optical formula in the league of the EF50/1.2L or Summilux 50/1.4. The old takumar/Pentax formula is simply outdated.

regards,

05-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just got the DA70 lens two days ago What a beauty! It's sharper than my FA77 at F2.8 (which I used the most w/ the FA77), and my FA77 is a very sharp copy. A very very fine lens. Pity it took me so long to make the decision ...

On the hood thing, actually you don't even need to pull the hood out if you don't like to do so. It is quite protective even without being pulled out imo, not like the one on FA77. Would be a pity if you don't use such a clever and beautiful design

Cheers!
05-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

glad you are enjoying it Frank.. I too like the hood design and the fact the cap fits over the hood..
05-09-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Frank. Yes, I got the lens the day before yesterday. The hood was better than I expected it to be. As you say, nothing like the FA77 hood which was to very little use.

Now that I have seen it I wouldn't hesitate using it (DA70 with standard hood) the way I usually do: without cap, standing with the nose pointing downwards in my bag. (Now I don't plan to keep the DA70 a very long time so I took it off and replaced it with a standard metal tele lens hood anyway. I guess the next owner will appreciate a good looking hood with no scratches on it.)

The lens itself is pretty much on par with the FA77. A little slower, about as sharp or maybe a tad better at some aperture openings, rougher bokeh unfortunately, manual focus override, lesss weight. Yes, I like it.

regards,
05-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Forum Member

Love my DA 70mm, but yeah the hood is a little wierd with the extension.