Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*16-50 Lens Filters - Normal or Slim?

Greetings everyone,

I'm strongly considering purchasing the Pentax DA*16-50 lens, but I'm curious about possible vignetting with filters.

If anyone can tell me (positively) whether or not a slim profile filter is required with this lens? My plan is to immediately buy the lens with a UV filter, but I'd appreciate knowing if plunking down an extra fifty dollars on a filter is absolutely necessary! Of course, this would also help in a future purchase of a polarizer.

If, by some chance, someone can tell me definitively they do/do not use a slim filter on their 16-50, could that person also kindly tell me what brand filter they use? A cursory search only shows Hoya as making (quality) slim-profile UV filters, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Cheers!

07-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use mine with the Hoya Pro1D UV on it for protection, and haven't noticed any vignetting from the filter. This isn't the widest filter out there, but it's not a super-slim model either. Incidentally, if I were to buy these filters again, I'd look at the Kenko's which I believe are the same product as the Hoyas and are available for a good price at HVStar in Hong Kong (now MaxSaver.net I guess).

Most people here will tell you you're crazy to use a filter on expensive lenses - they believe it degrades image quality in a noticable way, but I think you'd be crazy not to use a filter to protect your investment - 'course I'm tough on gear and the protection on my DA* 16-50 has already paid off - I run UV filters on all my expensive lenses and have had no trouble even when shooting into the sun which I do commonly. However, I will caution you to be sure to buy a quality Multi-Coated filter, or you will indeed see negative effects from the filter (though probably not very much honestly).
07-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the swift and detailed reply, Heliphoto!

To make a long story short, I'm not taking any risks with this lens; I'm going to protect it. While I might not leave it on when I actually make a photograph, I will certainly have it on during the setup.

I can appreciate that adding more facets to the lens change the characteristics of the image. However, I would prefer that as few things as possible come in contact with the actual glass of my lens, whether it be a finger print or an errant flying pebble!