Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
prices for used DA 35 and DA 15?

how does 280 uds for a used DA 35mm ltd
and 420 usd for a DA 15mm ltd sound?

good deal?

- I did not know their new prices, but after I saw them offered in a used camera shop for the mentioned prices I became curious. New in Europe they cost quite a bit more, I do not have access to US market, but sometimes have chance to buy in Japan -

Last edited by kuuan; 07-11-2009 at 01:37 AM.
07-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #2

No.. that is such bad price!!!

could you please help me get that from that shop? I'll send you the cash now.

haha.. for both lens, i know the cheapest I can get DA 35 is AUD 550 = US440, and DA15 is AUD 800 = US 640

Mike
07-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's a great price. Ask the shop if the lenses are in good ondition, test it out in store and ask for their return policy... If you end up wantingto sell you'll probably end up with more money than you started with.
07-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are excellent prices. The DA 35 has jumped a lot in price lately and is running around 500 dollars right now, new. The DA 15 is running around 550 dollars (these are US prices). Enjoy and post some photos!

07-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's fantastic. I got my DA 35 used before the lenses jumped in price for $330 and that was a pretty excellent deal.
07-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, that's fantastic. I got my DA 35 used before the lenses jumped in price for $330 and that was a pretty excellent deal.
the DA 35 costs at around 400 brand new. the pancake 35 was at 300. and that was just 4 months ago. I should've bought them when I got that itch. too bad, I needed the money more during that time.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-11-2009 at 03:16 PM.
07-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow...so these prices ARE good, now I am really tempted!

Sure will go back to the store and test out the lenses, but if they will have any return policy? - this is in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
And how well will I be able to test them? Very likely I can just take some shots around the shop, mounted on my *istDs, and it's AF pretty much sucks. - So far I almost exclusively have been using manual lenses, the *istDs was the camera of choice for using M42 lenses - this is why I am blissfully unaware of prices of 'new' lenses.

But now checking I see that there also is the FA 35mm f2, and I do like low light photography and fast lenses. And the FA 35mm f2 is..cheaper? Excuse my innocence, but is the DA 35 so much better? Or is it above all it's smaller size and macro capability which make it dear?

07-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
But now checking I see that there also is the FA 35mm f2, and I do like low light photography and fast lenses. And the FA 35mm f2 is..cheaper? Excuse my innocence, but is the DA 35 so much better? Or is it above all it's smaller size and macro capability which make it dear?
If you try out and it autofocuses at close range and infinity, manual focuses fine, no significant marks on glass when held up to light, no BF, FF, aperture reading shows, apreture blades closing properly (check on different values), and no marks on the body, I think you should be good to go.... (anything I forgot to mention?)

Case for FA 35:
Full frame (FA 35 + MZ-7 + Panorama Mode = Love)
f/2 (resolution and contrast at f2 is great, the only problem with f2 is PF)
Faster focusing (DA 35 is slooow)
Smoother Bokeh
FA colors (more neutral?)
Hood with polarizer hole

Case for DA 35:
True Macro
Virtually No PF
Better flare control
Interesting Bokeh
Quick Shift (important for macro)
Metal Build
DA colors (red and blue saturation)

I have the FA and I love it If you don't shoot film I'd say just go with whatever you find a good deal on first since they're both good lenses.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 07-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.
07-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned both lenses - I gave my daughter my FA 35/2 when I bought a DA 35 Limited for myself as a retirement present.

Picking a lens is a personal thing, since what looks "good" is quite subjective. However, having owned both lenses, I'd say if macro is not a key requirement, go with an FA 35/2. It's a lens that is sharp wide open and focuses very quickly - it's even a little bit lighter than the DA 35. On the other hand, if close focusing is a critical requirement, the DA 35 offers a small versatile package that will do it all - although more slowly both in lens and focusing "speed".

Jer
07-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

wow...so these prices ARE good, now I am really tempted!

Sure will go back to the store and test out the lenses, but if they will have any return policy? - this is in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
And how well will I be able to test them? Very likely I can just take some shots around the shop, mounted on my *istDs, and it's AF pretty much sucks. - So far I almost exclusively have been using manual lenses, the *istDs was the camera of choice for using M42 lenses - this is why I am blissfully unaware of prices of 'new' lenses.

I can't say which is better nor cheaper. some sell the lens cheaper over the other, on other occasions, it's the opposite. both lens have certain appeal which makes them distinct over the other. both lenses are sharp though in their own right. and depends upon the photographer which suits him better.
07-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how does 280 uds for a used DA 35mm ltd
and 420 usd for a DA 15mm ltd sound?

good deal?

Isn't it strange to find a used DA 15mm Ltd already?

I'd be very suspicious about that one.
07-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

From Ho Chi Min city... hmm,
Friends who go to HCM for work tell me that it is possible to get some Pentax DA lenses cheap but they usually are not boxed nor have the lens pouches or warranty, in other words it is not clear if there are any QC nor clear indication if the lenses went thru the proper distribution channels. Actually some of these DA lenses (I consider them grey products) have been sold locally where I am. Some friends have bought and used them with no issues but like all lens purchases, it is best to check before buying, especially if there is no indication of any warranty.