Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I've been debating whether to get a K-7 or complete the lens kit with the best I can afford. Today I made that decision on a lens Ebay 85mm about 30 seconds ago.

The one on auction closing today is going too high (made no sense to me at all because of the box??) and this one was $19.00 more than the other one listed but the front glass is blemish free.

Still in a bit of shock. But it will fill a significant hole in my kit which is much smaller than many here but pretty much the best you can have at each respective length.

I've shot with this lens before (loaner) and it's stunning. The A* might be a bit better but only a tiny bit.

Can't wait to clamp it on the K20D.

Next will be to get another 31mm..... I think Silver would look nice.

What's the difference between the two 85 1.4s? FA* and A*???

07-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #17

That's a very sweet piece of glass - nice one sir!
07-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote
What's the difference between the two 85 1.4s? FA* and A*???
Autofocus on FA, and FA is silver, A is black. I'm blind guessing that the A has the better build but feel free to correct me here...

I haven't heard much of optical difference but according to Peter above the A is slightly better.

Congrats on the lens Peter!
07-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have fun, it's an amazing lens. I just took mine out on my K-7 to shoot a free outdoor concert down the street. It's amazing to say the least.

As for the differences between the A* and FA*, the have different optical formulas as well as the other differences listed. Both are stellar, but I slightly prefer my FA* to the A*. I made a thread a while back comparing the two.

07-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peter,

I will personally guarantee you have made a great purchase and will not regret putting down the dollars on that lens.

Congrats on your win!

I wish I could find my original purchase receipt to verify what I paid for mine back in the day!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I've been debating whether to get a K-7 or complete the lens kit with the best I can afford. Today I made that decision on a lens Ebay 85mm about 30 seconds ago.
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. It was just a bit of instant sticker shock when I hit the Pay button. But I know this is one of the top 2-3 lenses ever produced and will be a great tool in the kit.

Dave, maybe I can get the plane to stop in Edmonton on the way east from Japan Salty, the 31mm is next on the list. It'll have to wait for a bit. But I sold one in my big sell off 18 months ago and I miss that lens. The debate will be FA35mm f2 or the 31mm, probably the latter but the FA is a fine lens in every respect.

As for he mentioned differences between the FA* and A* 85mm's it's slight but I've used both at the same time and there's another member here that has both who seemed to feel as I do. The A* is a bit sharper at 1.4 and renders a slightly different image. Hard to describe but a bit like the 3D look of the 31mm. But again the differences are so slight as to be no issue. It's the AF which was the factor in favour of the FA*
07-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I doubt you'll ever 2nd guess buying this lens. I guess it depends on who you talk to as far as which is better, the FA or the A. It goes both ways. It's a shame photodo never rated the FA, like they did the A. Since manual focus is so easy and precise on the FA, it's a no brainer to have the best of both worlds and get the autofocus. Although I must admit, I probably manual focus with it 85% of the time!

It's funny but I never knew about the little star designation on my FA until I came to these forums. I never knew that asterisk meant anything!
07-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Nice lens Peter. Looking forward to seeing some of the East coast in all the 85's glory!

c[_]

07-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

what's the difference b/n A* and FA*? they're different lenses all together
Two Brothers and a Cousin - the A* 85/1.4, FA 77, and FA* 85/1.4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #25

Congrat to you! As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing special about the K7 besides it's new, thousands upon thousands will own one of it, but only a very few could possess a FA* 85
07-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
Congrat to you! As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing special about the K7 besides it's new, thousands upon thousands will own one of it, but only a very few could possess a FA* 85
Choosing the FA* over a body is always a good choice, as lenses will always outlast bodies, however the K-7 is an excellent camera and a major improvement over the K10/K20. Don't kid yourself that it isn't special.

c[_]
07-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I will agree with Coffee on this. there are a couple of 'bugs' with the new camera (AF selection, AE-L timeout etc) but I've had some time with it and it's an improvment over past models.

I'll get one but Chocolar is also correct, a lens like this is getting harder to find and I suspect will become increasingly rarer as we have more shooters migrating to Pentaxville. Thats why I wanted to do it now. I can't wait to give it a go. It's one of those lenses that you can see the maximum your camera is capable of.

I'm hunting for some unexpired K64 and K25 as well to try this lens out on the PZ-1. That should be a treat too.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-17-2009 at 10:37 AM.
07-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ANOTHER 31mm?
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Yes, I sold the one I had before. Some family issues popped up 18 months ago and I sold off most of my kit. The only things that I wanted to replace from then are the 31mm and the 43mm. Also a DA16-45mm to back up the DA*16-50mm.
07-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

consider your self lucky!!!