Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photong Quote
Thanks for all the helpful information guys. I'll try the above adaptor. I actually saw the green sleeve genuine one with "Pentax" on top (no Asahi, although they make good beer) and "Japan" on the bottom. I'll give that a shot if the Taiwanese fake genuine Japanese one fails.

I still have the Zenit-E with the Helios attached. I'm not sure if I'll take it to Poland (I can't afford film processing). I haven't tried taking the lens off yet, but the camera doesn't seem to have a lens release button. Is it just a matter of brute force?

Adam
Yep, just twist anti clockwise... Might have been on there a long time however...

07-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Long time = 30 years

I'll give it a good yank and hope nothing explodes.

Adam
07-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
Igilligan

The Helios is one of my favorite lenses...

If you want to have lots of fun, look for a Tair 11A 135mm F2.8 and a Jupiter 9 85mm F2.0.

But the Helios 44M lives on my camera....

Which version of the Helios do you have? 44-?
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long time = 30 years

I'll give it a good yank and hope nothing explodes.

Adam
So did your hand explode? By all accounts the Russian stuff is built to take a beating!

07-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello Adam, (long text but...)

if you haven't undone the lens already please try to leave the focus ring on infinity and not use force on it while unscrewing. Reason for this, all the force on the focus ring will go into the two guiding rails inside, not good, and the further out the worse.

Depending on your Helios version there are a few things you might find useful.

The first version is very narrow on the back and will sit just on the adapter. In this case it could be beneficial not to have the genuine Asahi Optical Co. adapter cause this one has been reported to wobble with this lens. Another thing is the two holes in the adapter, which I would tape close with the lens mounted to avoid dust entry.

With the later versions of the lens you have a fatter back which will cover those holes. However, some later versions do not have an A-M switch. In this case there is an easy modification to the lens to get it stopped down on a DSLR.

Regardless of the lens please have a look also at the clip on your adapter from time to time. If it comes loose (the little screw), it might be easier to remove it and fix the lens with tape on the cam (sounds silly but I have excellent non-sticking webbing tape :-)

Here's some of those Helios and you might point out the one you have,

I think with any of these you have a very fine portrait lens on the DSLR. Your story with this lens is priceless.
Best, Georg (the other)
07-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I see lots of MF lens posts on this forum, but it seems as if most lenses require adapters and many don't automagically meter properly (I mostly shoot Manual so this is not a problem).
Jus to be clear, "most" lenses don't require adapters. Just lenses that are not K-mount. No K-mount lenses require adapters, and there are *tons* of K-mount lenses out there (K series, M series, A series, and zillions of third party versions).

Also, metering issues with manual lenses are camera-specific - or more particular, focus-screen-specific. As far as I know, only the K10D and K20D among Pentax models have significant issues.

QuoteQuote:
My question: Given my current lenses, what portrait MF lens would be a good place to start?
If I didn't know what you had already, I'd be looking at the M85/2, easily found for under $300. Check out jsherman's images using this lens in the "M Club" thread. But given that you already have the DA70, I guess your first question should be, what is it you are looking for that the DA70 does not already do?
07-13-2009, 01:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Buy all the genuine adapters you can. I think Hoya is scrapping them. Last year I bought genuine adapters at about 15$. Yesterday I surfed to the same place and they cost 100$. A phonecall to the place that sells them. The guy in the other end got all quiet and after a while he said he was as surprised as me, but he got it confirmed, Pentax had rised the price, so it just reflected Pentax rise.

Seriously. 100$ aprx for that little piece of metal.

07-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I haven't tried taking the lens off yet because I'm still waiting for the fake genuine adaptor and lens/body caps. If the adaptor is wobbly, I'll try to order the real fake one before I fly off next week.

It's a Helios 44-2 (bottom left on above picture). I'll be sure to heed Georg's advice when taking it off. Thanks. As for taping the lens to the camera, I don't mind looking ghetto but this K-7 is barely a week old. I'd like to preserve its diginity for a while longer

"The most lenses require an adaptor" statement is just me writing before thinking.

QuoteQuote:
I guess your first question should be, what is it you are looking for that the DA70 does not already do?
Why do men who have smoking hot wives sleep with ugly hookers (eg, Hugh Grant)? The answer to these questions is the cure for LBA.

Adam
07-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Buy all the genuine adapters you can. I think Hoya is scrapping them. Last year I bought genuine adapters at about 15$. Yesterday I surfed to the same place and they cost 100$. A phonecall to the place that sells them. The guy in the other end got all quiet and after a while he said he was as surprised as me, but he got it confirmed, Pentax had rised the price, so it just reflected Pentax rise.

Seriously. 100$ aprx for that little piece of metal.
They seem to be selling on Ebay lately between $40 - $50.
07-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, adaptor got here. Thanks to all your help, here's my first image with the Helios 44-2.

My 3-month old daughter surprised by dad's new lens.

Adam
07-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

She's a little sweetie and a lovely pic. Enjoy using the Helios.