Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Likely these fit partly the criteria (half body) you mentioned
Not bad (looks nice), but still no 3D pop like the images I linked which had no real PP AFAIK.

I'm going to have to ask that guy w/ the 200/2 if he can upload the unprocessed images...

Some more images that pop from the Nikon 200/2 variant...pretty much everything on this page:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/792011
I rarely see that much pop even from the Limiteds because they don't blur the background as much...

Last edited by kenyee; 07-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.
07-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
To blur the background more all you would have to do is place the subject further in front of it. It's not an effect that can only be achieved by a 200mm f2 lens. There are more pedestrian lenses that could produce similar images with a skilled photographer taking the photos.
07-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2Thumbs Quote
Hmmm, Takumar 135mm f/1.8's exist. Good luck finding one though, I've seen more teeth on hen's.

Those shot's are lovely, truely inspiring in my opinion. Wish I could afford the 1Ds MkIII he's using let alone the lens as well.
@RARE@ PENTAX A*(STAR) 135mm F1.8 fit K20D K10D 135/1.8 - eBay (item 120381694990 end time Jul-21-09 00:40:52 PDT)
07-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
To blur the background more all you would have to do is place the subject further in front of it. It's not an effect that can only be achieved by a 200mm f2 lens. There are more pedestrian lenses that could produce similar images with a skilled photographer taking the photos.
It's the quality of blurring as well. Would you say the 31/43/77Ltd and 85/1.4 are just regular lenses or do they have a certain something that makes you look at some of their images and go wow because your 50/1.4 can't do that? I wasn't a believer until I got a 77Ltd and it seems to do a consistently higher level of wow pictures than my 50/1.4. Your wallet will be happier if you can't see a difference, just like high end audio

At any rate, I asked the guy for unprocessed pics and at least the first two look like they have extra pop that you don't see in a most other lenses. A bit of sharpening and they'd pop a lot more:
Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open. - FM Forums

I'd be happy w/ a DA135/1.8 though

07-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I too have drooled over such glass. There was a blog somewhere with pictures of this woman on train tracks taken with the canon 200/2 but I don't remember where it is. Anyways, I don't think the "pop" seen in those (excellent) examples on FM forums is from post processing but rather from the photographers use of lighting
07-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #36
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Remember there is already is a SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8 out there, that would do this job.

Oops sorry ivoire, just spotted your post, you beat me to it

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-16-2009 at 06:32 AM.
07-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

That smallville dude looks like he's against a fake backdrop to me. Sharp though!

07-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #38

There are literally dozens of lenses Pentax needs more. Way too expensive and too much of a specialty piece to interest all that many. The photos you linked to were very good, but really the result of a good photographer and post processor more so than of a great lens. Too expensive, too big and it would cost Pentax too much money considering the very few people who would buy it.
07-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Not bad (looks nice), but still no 3D pop like the images I linked which had no real PP AFAIK.
Lots of production on those; both preproduction due to his lighting and plenty done in post too. This is not an attack on the photos at all, but just pointing out the obvious.
QuoteQuote:
I'm going to have to ask that guy w/ the 200/2 if he can upload the unprocessed images...
I doubt he will.
QuoteQuote:
Some more images that pop from the Nikon 200/2 variant...pretty much everything on this page:
nikon 200. f2 vr. - FM Forums
I rarely see that much pop even from the Limiteds because they don't blur the background as much...
A mixed bag from that bunch. Some good photos, some duds. Again, you are giving the lenses way too much credit overall.
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #40
Inactive Account

I don't have a 50mm 1.4 anymore, but I do have the 2 85mm 1.4 pentax lenses and the FA 31 Ltd. I have plenty of pictures with the 85s that "pop" in a similar fashion as the ones you've shown, and I'm not even a pro, and I don't use off camera lighting. They may not be quite up to the level of the photos you're showing, but I'm just an amateur.

Granted, I'm sure the 200mm f2 lenses are great, but there are plenty of other gread lenses that can produce spectacular 3d images when used in the right way. When I said more pedestrian I just meant not costing nearly $5000 new. Even then, I've seen plenty of photos taken with fast 50s that have wowed me.

It's the quality of blurring as well. Would you say the 31/43/77Ltd and 85/1.4 are just regular lenses or do they have a certain something that makes you look at some of their images and go wow because your 50/1.4 can't do that? I wasn't a believer until I got a 77Ltd and it seems to do a consistently higher level of wow pictures than my 50/1.4. Your wallet will be happier if you can't see a difference, just like high end audio

At any rate, I asked the guy for unprocessed pics and at least the first two look like they have extra pop that you don't see in a most other lenses. A bit of sharpening and they'd pop a lot more:
Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open. - FM Forums

I'd be happy w/ a DA135/1.8 though
07-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
Lots of production on those; both preproduction due to his lighting and plenty done in post too. This is not an attack on the photos at all, but just pointing out the obvious.
I doubt he will.
Ummm....look at my last post above
07-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #42
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Likely these fit partly the criteria (half body) you mentioned
Very nice, but as you said, they only fit half the criteria. :-)

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is bokeh depends on a dozen things, distance of the subject from the background, distance of the camera from the subject and camera orientation all affect it very much, not just the aperture, a 200mm f2.8 is not that far off from a 200mm F2 in terms of sheer blur capacity - especially not in the real world where customers won't ditch your images simply because the background is blurred about a stop less than the guy with the F2.
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #43

He Claims Not Processed

Ummm....look at my last post above
The photog claims that the second set were not PP but how does he get that vignetting without it? I doubt that the lens is vignetting that much and it really doesn't make sense to do that mechanically these days. Anyone have another explanation for this?
I know that this thread is about 3D pop but the vignetting is not hurting the focus on the subject at all.
07-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #44

Shot with my old Nikon before moving to Pentax with a COMPARABLY cheap Tamron 70-200...

I think POP... or 3D look has FAR more to do with lighting from the OP's Links than it does with lens choice.
07-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
The photog claims that the second set were not PP but how does he get that vignetting without it?
Very true. He said straight out of Lightroom and that app does have some basic PP'ing it can do, including vignetting. That lens doesn't have vignetting.

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
Shot with my old Nikon before moving to Pentax with a COMPARABLY cheap Tamron 70-200...
I think POP... or 3D look has FAR more to do with lighting from the OP's Links than it does with lens choice.
Not as much pop IMHO, but I get the point (not all the 200/2 images in that thread I linked pop either). As long as you'd agree that some lenses have a higher "pop" ratio, which is why some people like the 43Ltd and 77Ltd (and FA*85/1.4 which Pentax really should keep making because they're discontinuing the 77Ltd and the 55/1.8 doesn't cut it)-: