Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron Adaptall 90mm F2.5 Macro Lens Testing

Always wanted to try this lens out, but only got chance to buy one a couple of weeks ago from the forum (thanks again qqspm ).

The lens got two versions, 52B and 52BB. I got the earlier full metal 52B version. Love its solid built and smooth operation. You can find some more info about this lens here:

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 90mm F/2.5 Model 52B

Here is mine:

After some quick play, I feel it's pretty sharp even wide open, but gets a lot better if stopped down to F4 or F5.6. Widen open contrast isn't as high as I hoped (I had a Tokina 90/2.5 ATX before, which was better in this regard), but very good at F4 or slower. Bokeh seems to be very smooth.

I'm using the lens on a Pentax K-7 camera w/ a PK adapter, here are several quick test shots from the weekend:

I think I'm gonna have some fun w/ this lens. Need to bring it to the wild sometimes.

07-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice photos frank. Had the 52BB version when I was using Minolta a long time ago. Probably one of the sharpest 3rd party macro lenses then. I think you should keep this, it looks so nice with the MX.
07-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I've had a number of friends who own this lens and swear by it. Have fun with that one Frank.

Tom G
07-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No doubt about it, these are versatile lenses and good performers. Relative to a non-macro 85 or 105, about the only thing against the 52b/bb is bulk. But as you demonstrate, it is a very nice portrait lens as well as an excellent macro.

07-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #5

Great shots there, especially the last.

Been meaning to dip my toe in to an old Tamron SP for a while now.

Not sure if you have, but the only problem I find with using an excellent macro prime is they can be too sharp, if that even exists
07-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The MF version seems like a nice way to go for macro. I always seem to end up shutting the AF off for macro shots.
07-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nice photos frank. Had the 52BB version when I was using Minolta a long time ago. Probably one of the sharpest 3rd party macro lenses then. I think you should keep this, it looks so nice with the MX.
Thanks Denis I'll keep it for a while and see how, but don't think it'd replace my beloved A100/2.8 macro

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I've had a number of friends who own this lens and swear by it. Have fun with that one Frank.

Tom G

Thanks Tom. Haven't used enough yet, need to take it out more

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
No doubt about it, these are versatile lenses and good performers. Relative to a non-macro 85 or 105, about the only thing against the 52b/bb is bulk. But as you demonstrate, it is a very nice portrait lens as well as an excellent macro.
Actually the lens isn't very bulky, almost the same length as the M/A 100/2.8 but slightly thicker, almost the same physical size of a K105/2.8. It's definitely slimmer than the Tokina 90/2.5. But it's heavy, not as heavy as the Tokina, but definitely much heavier than the M/A100/2.8 or K105/2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by 2Thumbs Quote
Great shots there, especially the last.

Been meaning to dip my toe in to an old Tamron SP for a while now.

Not sure if you have, but the only problem I find with using an excellent macro prime is they can be too sharp, if that even exists
Thanks. For macro work, I think sharper is better. But for portrait, depends on the subjects I guess

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The MF version seems like a nice way to go for macro. I always seem to end up shutting the AF off for macro shots.
That's why all my macro lenses (A100/2.8macro, A50/2.8macro and this Tamron) are MF ones