Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Rubber Hood for the FA 50mm lens

Can anyone recommend good rubber hood for the Pentax FA 50mm lens that will alllow me to use the lens cap with the hood installed.

I have a nice metal hood, but you cannot have the lens cap installed when the hood is in place. Therefore i rarely use it.

Thanks
Fred

07-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had very good experiences with the universal rubber hoods. They just don't seem to work very well. I had this issue when I had my fa 50 - still not sure why Pentax doesn't include a hood with this model. At least (if it's any consolation) the plastic hood Pentax sells for this (the plastic version) comes with a nice, lined case.
If you want to look at universal hoods, though, and try your luck, Adorama always seems to have a nice supply:
WARLH49 Adorama 49mm Wide Angle Rubber Lens Hood
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fred2726 Quote
I have a nice metal hood, but you cannot have the lens cap installed when the hood is in place. Therefore i rarely use it.

get a bigger cap and install it on the metal hood itself, that's it
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, what deejjjaaaa said.

I tried those rubber hoods and was very unhappy with them. So on my FA 50, I now use a 49-52mm step-up ring and then one of these:

New Metal Standard 52mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap

It comes with the correct size cap to fit the end of the hood.

(I use a 52mm hood because it matches the external diameter of the lens better -- a 49mm hood looks kind of silly IMHO.)

I have ordered from this merchant on several times and have always received fine service. You can order the step-up ring from them too.

07-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #5

I use this hood from B&H, B+W | 49mm Screw-In Folding Rubber Lens Hood #900 | 65069598. It does it's job, but probably similar to other rubber hoods it won't offer the same protection as a metal hood since it will simply collapse upon anything hitting it. It does allow the lens cap to click on to.
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astroguy12s Quote
I use this hood from B&H, B+W | 49mm Screw-In Folding Rubber Lens Hood #900 | 65069598. It does it's job, but probably similar to other rubber hoods it won't offer the same protection as a metal hood since it will simply collapse upon anything hitting it. It does allow the lens cap to click on to.
Thanks everyone for the options. I think the filter from B+H will do it.
07-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just got a rubber lens hood with a SMC--M 150 mm I purchased. Apparently the former user did not know that there was a built-in hood in the 150...

I mounted it on my F 50 1,7. Nice thing is that it matches its dark gray perfectly. I mouted the hood on the lens, then put a UV filter on top of it, THEN the lens cap.

I tried that yesterday so usefulness is still open to debate, but so far I like it, it doesn't add much to the package's size and it did help protect my lens from the shower we got yesterday evening.

My only advice would be to get a hood with a metal thread. Mine is made that way and I can't imagine how cheap it would feel otherwise.

07-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fred2726 Quote
I have a nice metal hood, but you cannot have the lens cap installed when the hood is in place.
For my FA50, I use the (long) lens hood that comes with the Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5. This lens cap still can be used with the metal hood.

QuoteOriginally posted by Astroguy12s Quote
it [a rubber hood] won't offer the same protection as a metal hood since it will simply collapse upon anything hitting it.
I'm not sure about this. If something hits a metal hood, the full force is transferred to the lens. While if something hits a rubber hood, the hood can absorb some of the force.

Rubber hoods are also easier to store and carry in the (already crowded) camera bag.

I am actually in the process of replacing all my metal hoods with rubber hoods.