Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What Fish eye

I am looking for a nice fish eye lens

the sigma 15mm 2.8 looked perfect until I saw that the current price is almost $800

so what do you think of the Pentax 10-17?

or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

07-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #2

I have the 10-17 and it has worked very well. Much more pronounced fisheye at 10mm but my guess would be that the sigma is sharper due to it being a prime.
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #3

15mm wont be fishy at all on a crop sensor I'm afraid. It'll just look like a wide angle lens with bad distortion.

You'll want a 4.5mm to get a true 180 degree on a crop, or at the very least an 8mm such as a Peleng which in terms of fish eye prices is no money at all.
07-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10-17 is a great lens. Very fishy at 10mm. REALLY want to buy one............Plus, there are some nice "flattening" plug-ins for PP to get rid of all that fishiness if you'd like.

07-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like ultra-wide perspectives, but the fisheye tends to elude me. Some of my friends have had wild successes with their respective fisheye lenses, though, so I know it's just me.

That said, the Pentax 10-17 does its job. I just used it today, in fact, for my self-portrait of the day:

My other shots taken with it are here: Flickr: aravis121's stuff tagged with fisheye

I really look forward to seeing what you do with the fisheye you decide on; it seems to be a very challenging but very rewarding type of photography.
07-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a few short threads down https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33549-fisheye-...ye-photos.html
07-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're not set on a strong fisheye effect and don't mind a fully manual lens, the Zenitar 16mm is a popular choice. I got mine for just under $150 (Cdn) including delivery from Russia. Do a search, you should find lots of discussion and examples. It's a fun lens, and low stress 'cause it's cheap!

07-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Ari
Veteran Member

Your pictures are just incredible.
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I like ultra-wide perspectives, but the fisheye tends to elude me. Some of my friends have had wild successes with their respective fisheye lenses, though, so I know it's just me.

That said, the Pentax 10-17 does its job. I just used it today, in fact, for my self-portrait of the day:

My other shots taken with it are here: Flickr: aravis121's stuff tagged with fisheye

I really look forward to seeing what you do with the fisheye you decide on; it seems to be a very challenging but very rewarding type of photography.
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys!!!

awesome!

I think 10-17 it is for me I am happy with what I see.

Keitha as usual ... amazing!!

in new york the streets especially in the summer is one organic thing..
when you walk in a street with hundreds of people, and so much action going on

some times you want to fit it all... and show the action rather then the objects

I think a fish eye will be perfect for that
07-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K McCall, love your work.
07-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote

Amazing work man. Makes me want to go out and actually buy a 10-17mm (NO MONEYYYYY) :-(
I hate you and your skills!

But back OT, if you don't have much to spend, I heard the Zenitar 16mm fish eye is also very good. I have also heard the 10-17mm is very good as well, so it depends on your budget. Nice to have 10mm though...
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks to everyone who liked that picture. I actually learned a new way to tie my shoes today, so I was inspired to take a photo of my Rocket Dog shoes with the new knot
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brooklyn Bridge and the Zenitar

I own the Zenitar and agree with Julie (foxglove) that it is a fun little lens for not much money. And a healthy bronx cheer for those who say "it's not a true fisheye because it's not 180!" It is still a lot of fun and you can get some decent effects with it.

NaCl(inexpensive and fun! what more could you ask for?)H2O
07-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One feature that I like about my current FE is a small minimum focus distance. I think that's the only flaw of the Zenitar. It allows you to shoot sort of a fisheye macro.
07-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
One feature that I like about my current FE is a small minimum focus distance. I think that's the only flaw of the Zenitar. It allows you to shoot sort of a fisheye macro.
I'll second that... Plus the long focus throw on the Sigma, the Zenitar has a rather short focus throw which I didn't like when I played with one the other day.