Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Da* Primes: 200mm + 300mm

It seems that the retail prices of these two primes would be more than 1400 US respectively almost matching the prices of Fa* counterpart at e bay ATM

The prices are definitely considerably more expensive than Canon L primes in these two focal lengths ...

Given the recent discovery of SDM being more silent AF rather than speedy focusing, I wonder if this is more worthwhile getting Fa* 200mm instead.

Weather sealing feature does not seem that practical with prime lenses since we, as photographers, are unlikely change lenses in the terrible weather, risking the exposure of sensor to dust and rain. Most of the lenses are pretty water resistant anyway.

These two primes also looked more like EX sigma lenses too.

I heard that sigma 150 f2.8 macro (my favorite lens with canon set up) is going to be released in pentax mount too. Maybe this is a better buy after all comparing to Da* 200 or Da * 300

What do you think?

05-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
DAP

Not knowing anything about the new lenses as far as performance is concerned it is kind of hard to speculate as to whether you should get the FA* versions instead. In any case I would hold off until they come out for several reasons: 1) the DA* lenses might end up being better than the old FA* lenses, 2) The street price will probably be lower than $1400+ you mentioned, and 3) The used prices of the FA* 200 and 300 will probably drop once the new DA* lenses are introduced - it would be silly to pay a BIG premium for a FA* lens now when in 6 months you could pick them up for less.
05-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
In any case I would hold off until they come out for several reasons: 1) the DA* lenses might end up being better than the old FA* lenses
Optically probably no difference between the Da* and Fa*. I have been wondering if pentax is pushing up the prices of Da* because of the crazy ebay prices around at present.

2) The street price will probably be lower than $1400+ you mentioned
Yeah, you are right. A bit premature to assume the prices. PMA guys at melbourne reportedly quoted this figure and above for these two primes.

and 3) The used prices of the FA* 200 and 300 will probably drop once the new DA* lenses are introduced - it would be silly to pay a BIG premium for a FA* lens now when in 6 months you could pick them up for less.
This has been debated a few times here in the forum. My gut feelings are that pentax is trying to match the new Da* prices to the current market prices of Fa* primes. So if the price of Fa* dropped, it would hurt the sale of Da* primes. My gut feelings are that the Fa* primes would either stay the same at best but not go downhill with depreciation.

I am really tempted to sell Fa* 300 f4.5 to get the new Da*
05-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA*'s won't cover full-frame, will they? If they did, the 300mm should be a bit bigger than it is right now...

I have both the FA* 200mm and 300mm and I know that I'm NEVER parting with either for them. I won't give up the focusing clamp, limiter, metal construction, and full-frame support for SDM, lol!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The DA*'s won't cover full-frame, will they? If they did, the 300mm should be a bit bigger than it is right now...

I have both the FA* 200mm and 300mm and I know that I'm NEVER parting with either for them. I won't give up the focusing clamp, limiter, metal construction, and full-frame support for SDM, lol!
Hi Mo. Pentax already made it clear that there will not be any full frame camera bodies in the future productions. Hence it makes little difference whether a lens is Fa or Da. (Probably why these primes supposed to be DFA to start with and then changed to Da afterwards)

It is quite unusual to use these telephoto primes on film bodies since hit and miss rates are too high to waste films on. I doubt there are still a lot of people using film alone in photography hobby especially with wildlife photos.

p.s. I know your passion for Fa lenses, Mo.
05-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ah, I see. In that case I'm definitely sticking to the metal FA*'s

IMO FA/FA*'s are even better on digital than on film since the edges aren't used and there's less distortion.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Where did you hear the prices of these lenses? Theres no way they'll be 1400 US, the Canon 300 4.0L IS is 1200 and the 200 2.8L is 650. Pentax cant charge higher than those prices and expect people to pay it...

05-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Optically probably no difference between the Da* and Fa*.
Realistically you probably are right - you won't be able to tell any difference, but I bet the coatings will be better as far as digital cameras are concerned - not that that will translate into a huge difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This has been debated a few times here in the forum. My gut feelings are that pentax is trying to match the new Da* prices to the current market prices of Fa* primes. So if the price of Fa* dropped, it would hurt the sale of Da* primes. My gut feelings are that the Fa* primes would either stay the same at best but not go downhill with depreciation.

I am really tempted to sell Fa* 300 f4.5 to get the new Da*
I believe that the only reason that the FA* 200 and 300 bring so much money right now (besides the fact that they are great lenses ) is due to the complete lack of long autofocus primes currently in the lineup. If you want long Pentax glass you have no choice but to pay the auction premiums for used glass. Once the DA* glass hits the streets - no more long lens availability issues. If given the choice between a brand spanking new 200 or 300 with a full warranty and USM (may not be faster but if you are using the 300 for nature work the silence would be a boon) or a 5-10+ year old lens with old autofocus technology for the same price, I think the vast majority of people would go with the new lens. I'm not saying that the FA* lenses will drop down to nothing but I expect some drop in 2nd hand prices. I think that there are a LOT of people waiting around for these two (specifically the 300) to hit - Pentax is going to sell a bunch of them. I think the only people that will specifically hunt down the older ones are people who need the aperture ring (ie.film users), collectors, people who really dig the color silver (or white in the case of the F*), and people who are scared that Pentax will bring out a full frame camera in the future (although I would bet money on the fact that these two lenses will cover full frame). Personally If I were you I would keep the FA* 300 that you already have - truly one of the better lenses that Pentax ever made. But if you were going to sell it there is never going to be a better time then right now.
05-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Realistically you probably are right - you won't be able to tell any difference, but I bet the coatings will be better as far as digital cameras are concerned - not that that will translate into a huge difference.

I believe that the only reason that the FA* 200 and 300 bring so much money right now (besides the fact that they are great lenses ) is due to the complete lack of long autofocus primes currently in the lineup. If you want long Pentax glass you have no choice but to pay the auction premiums for used glass. Once the DA* glass hits the streets - no more long lens availability issues. If given the choice between a brand spanking new 200 or 300 with a full warranty and USM (may not be faster but if you are using the 300 for nature work the silence would be a boon) or a 5-10+ year old lens with old autofocus technology for the same price, I think the vast majority of people would go with the new lens. I'm not saying that the FA* lenses will drop down to nothing but I expect some drop in 2nd hand prices. I think that there are a LOT of people waiting around for these two (specifically the 300) to hit - Pentax is going to sell a bunch of them. I think the only people that will specifically hunt down the older ones are people who need the aperture ring (ie.film users), collectors, people who really dig the color silver (or white in the case of the F*), and people who are scared that Pentax will bring out a full frame camera in the future (although I would bet money on the fact that these two lenses will cover full frame). Personally If I were you I would keep the FA* 300 that you already have - truly one of the better lenses that Pentax ever made. But if you were going to sell it there is never going to be a better time then right now.
It's unfortunate that FA* prices are so high right now, but I don't think they'll ever drop down to even the retail prices. The demand for Pentax lenses is very high since the launch of the K-series DSLRs, an the sheer optical perfection of the FA*'s makes them pretty much unrivaled.

The DA*'s will probably feature the all-new ghostless coating, which really sounds great. On the 12-24mm, it minimizes flare to almost nothing even when shooting directly at the sun!

No metal barrel, no clamps, and no power zoom, though Pentax really needs to start producing the 300/2.8 and 600/4 again, but they probably won't as their main factory (which used to produced the metal lenses) is no longer in Japan.

Adam

05-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Pentax really needs to start producing the 300/2.8 and 600/4 again, but they probably won't as their main factory (which used to produced the metal lenses) is no longer in Japan.
PENTAX Products : Digital Cameras

According to this list, they're both still in production, however the 600 is listed as "by order".
05-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by option Quote
Where did you hear the prices of these lenses? Theres no way they'll be 1400 US, the Canon 300 4.0L IS is 1200 and the 200 2.8L is 650. Pentax cant charge higher than those prices and expect people to pay it...
Traditionally, pentax Fa telephoto lenses are dearer than other competition brands. I got these two canon lenses brand new cheaper than the above prices as well. I do believe pentax glasses are more appealing to me right now (better optics IMO). I would not mind to pay extra but it is the question whether Da* really more worthwhile comparing to Fa*

The prices were quoted from the pentax australia staff at the exhibitions. Some reliability there.
05-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps in Japan, but it's no longer the case in the US. B&H stopped taking orders few months ago...

Adam

05-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

hey MO, actually I put my F*300 down next to the DA*300 at the Melbourne PMA and they seemed pretty much the same size to me.. The DA* was slightly thicker at the base (casued by SSM I guess), so I won't be surprised if it covers full frame.

Last edited by joele; 05-05-2007 at 05:57 PM.
05-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by option Quote
That was from me, from PMA, but slightly misunderstood.. The 16-50/2.8 is AUD$1,400 (not US) here in Australia. They did say the 200mm and 300mm will cost even more..

Even here that is an issue as the Canon 200/2.8 is AUD$1,300.. So Pentax will definately be more expensive than Canon, here at least...

In the US the 16-50 is what? US$899??? and so maybe street price will drop a little below that, but if Penatx Australia are right and the 200mm costs more than the 16-50 then it will be a street price of at least US$900 odd. Compared to the Canon 200mm f2.8 which is US$659.... Thats a BIG price difference. Of course I want the Pentax not the Canon LOL, but I think they should be more careful with their pricing not to scare off the Canon converts.. and there are a few converts I met a number of them at PMA. ex canon users that switched for the K10d and very keen to buy some high end lenses...

As for my F*300, I don't see a need to upgrade. Its a waste of money, though I will wait for the new DA*200mm rather than paying a fortune for the old FA* one, but my F*300 will stay.. Besides the white barrel looks too cool to sell!

Last edited by joele; 05-05-2007 at 06:12 PM.
05-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Dumb question, but how would power zoom work on a prime lens...

No metal barrel, no clamps, and no power zoom, though Pentax really needs to start producing the 300/2.8 and 600/4 again, but they probably won't as their main factory (which used to produced the metal lenses) is no longer in Japan.