Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Naturally, I'm referring to the FA*/DA* zooms

PZ really does help if you're using a heavy lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #17

Having not the FA* but A* 2.8/200 and having compared it with the Canon 2.8/200 (my wife has Canon) I/we stayed with the Pentax - even if it's manual focus.....
But I read some opinions that this old A* should probably be even better than the FA-version.
So price-wise the Pentax should be even worth more than the Canon.
I never found anything that good at 200mm as my A* 2.8/200!
05-06-2007, 04:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pleo Quote
Having not the FA* but A* 2.8/200 and having compared it with the Canon 2.8/200 (my wife has Canon) I/we stayed with the Pentax - even if it's manual focus.....
But I read some opinions that this old A* should probably be even better than the FA-version.
Yeah, but canon 200 f2.8 focuses really really fast and autofocuses accurately as well. Canon 200 f2.8L does very well on full frame camera like 5D as I tried it out peviously. Its bokeh is also very creamy smooth. Just hoping pentax Da* 200 going to be cheaper. If SDM is as fast as canon one, I would not mind the price to be that high.

05-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Dumb question, but how would power zoom work on a prime lens...
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If you want to know, ask.

Prime lenses are not zooms. They don't zoom at all, that's why they're primes. So the answer is NOT APPLICABLE, power zoom is for zoom lenses.

05-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pleo Quote
Have a look at what I found through an evaluation of 5 Pentax 200mm's: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/6091-pentax-20...omparison.html

The A* was slightly less sharp (possible because MFing isn't all that accurate), but it did a much better job of controlling aberrations that the FA*. I will redo these tests later toay in a more controlled environment to confirm my results, however.

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) adding the DA* to the test list!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The DA*'s won't cover full-frame, will they? If they did, the 300mm should be a bit bigger than it is right now...
Just a quick note, Mo, it would be HIGHLY unlikely that the 200 f2.8 and 300 f4 wouldn't cover a 35mm frame, the best example of this i have seen about the diminishing returns of crop sensor super tele lenses is the 300 f2.8 from oly and the 300 f2.8 from canon, logic would dictate that the canon is a 35mm lens and the EF mount is the largest of the 35mm type mounts, yet the oly 4/3rds lens is larger, in every dimension and heavier.

i have a feeling that the DA* primes will be superior then their FA* counterparts in every way, except aperture ring, but then again whom wants to use extension rings with a non macro 200mm prime
05-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Hehe, note the smiley

I surely know the difference between primes and zooms, and I'm sure Moho knows too, just a little joke at Moho's expense.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If you want to know, ask.

Prime lenses are not zooms. They don't zoom at all, that's why they're primes. So the answer is NOT APPLICABLE, power zoom is for zoom lenses.

05-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
i have a feeling that the DA* primes will be superior then their FA* counterparts in every way, except aperture ring, but then again whom wants to use extension rings with a non macro 200mm prime
It'd be great if that were true, but as I said above, there still won't be any metal barrels. I think the FA*'s would get more points for looks and usability Since everything at this stage is pure speculation, though, we won't really know until their release in December (right?).

The new 200 & 300mm's were originally listed as D-FA's, not DA*'s, so it may very well be that they'll be covering the 35mm frame. If only the modern DSLRs didn't have a 'crippled' mount- I find that using the aperture ring is so much more fun than turning a wheel on a camera!

BTW, we could really use DA* 200mm macro! Or better yet, a still-in-production FA* 200mm macro

Adam

05-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
DAP

BTW, we could really use DA* 200mm macro! Or better yet, a still-in-production FA* 200mm macro
Boy - do we ever! The FA* 200mm macro is one of only two lenses I regret not buying when I had the chance (the other is the A*85/1.4)...someday...maybe
05-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Richard says likely a Da* 135mm macro instead in the near future

Since sigma 150 f2.8 macro might have k mount soon, this might be a good choice too
05-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Richard says likely a Da* 135mm macro instead in the near future

Since sigma 150 f2.8 macro might have k mount soon, this might be a good choice too
135mm or 150mm is still too close to 100

Adam

05-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #27

So the PMA in Melbourne said the DA* 16-50 $1400AUD?? Wow - did they indicate a cost for the DA*50-135. Damn expensive.
05-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The Pentax reps at the Henrys show just this weekend told me that the DA*16-50 is going to be $999CAN and the DA*50-135 to be $1299CAN.

I don't know about Australia but IMO, those are high prices..
05-07-2007, 05:23 AM   #29

Adorama is taking preorders

$750 USD for the 16-50 and $830 for the 50-135.

$1400 AUD seems way too high. $999CAD seems a bit on the high side as well, but closer.

Pentax in Norway has the recommended price for the 16-50 set to $950usd, but that price is usually higher than the actual market price.
05-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
$1400 AUD seems way too high.
It is, but that's just what we have to put up with.