Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #1

Any Classics among the new generation lenses?

Hi,

Its raining, I'm bored, and the family is out of town, so it is time to open up a can of worms.

What current production lenses do you think will be considered "Great" lenses in the future (Let me refrase this - what lenses will you probably pass up on buying now only to regret the decision greatly once they are discontinued )

Here are my thoughts:

Pentax 21mm - got to play with one (unfortunately don't own it - don't own digital so no reason to I guess) - I was really impressed - small, high quality, great IQ, an almost ideal overall focal length for everyday shooting on digital.

Pentax 77mm - Have one (love it), super sharp, great build, ok focal length on digital (better on film, but that is just my opinion), will go down as the LAST great Pentax portrait lens available for film. It already has a huge ravenous following (IMHO slightly overrated - but then again aren't all "great" lenses - the buzz is half of it).

Pentax 31mm - Just because it is made of unobtainium. I had one once (had a panic attack regarding the price tag - sold it and got a 35FA - then traded that for a K30/2.8). A beautifully made lens (arguably the best made limited). Captures beautiful images (sure it might not be 3x better than the 35/2 but most people will never find that out first hand - and after all - that is how legends are created).

05-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
77mm ltd definitely

That's one I agree that will become a major classic.

Not sure about any of the others, but then, I haven't ever seen or tested much else, so I'm not a huge expert on the subject.
05-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I suspect that all of the FA limited lenses will become "classics". They've made so many DA limiteds, that I find it unlikely that they will every become "classics". Only way is if they cease production, and with them selling so well, that won't happen. There will always be too many of them around.

I also bet that the FA50/1.4 and possibly the FA35/2.0 will become very desirable someday, and could attain minor cult status. The 50 already has. Jury is still out on the 35, but it could get there.
05-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have a new 35mm FA f2.0 which I use permanently on my K10d, unless I want to photograph something stupid. It is sharp and the color is great, contrast is just the way I like it. And if you have ever seen one, it is clever, check out the hood. Classic, I don't know, but it sure is sweet on a DSLR. I have some classic lenses and everything considered this is my best. I don't have that 31mm that is so great but well, maybe.

05-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #5

I would have to say that both sets of Limiteds, the already classic "Three Amigos" and the new DA "Pancake Stack" will stand the tests of time as classics. I know that my 43mm Limited is outstanding, and I intend to add the other five to it as soon as money allows! Almost had the 31mm, but the timing of my (lack of) cash flow cost me that one, DARN IT! 8o)
Rob W
05-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
I would have to say that both sets of Limiteds, the already classic "Three Amigos" and the new DA "Pancake Stack" will stand the tests of time as classics. I know that my 43mm Limited is outstanding, and I intend to add the other five to it as soon as money allows! Almost had the 31mm, but the timing of my (lack of) cash flow cost me that one, DARN IT! 8o)
Rob W
It's sad watching how the 43 was dissed until recently. At some of the other forums the same few people criticized this lens whenever a question about it came up. Human nature being what it is the negative perception drowned out the positive comments. Recently over at DPR a few opinion leaders tried the 43... and liked it. Now this lens is highly regarded over at that forum. **shake head**

I'll be the first to admit that no lens is perfect for all purposes, but people really need to think for themselves. One is allowed to have an opinion different from the internet crowd. I've taken a number of images with the lens that I am very happy with. Even the lab technicians at the busy camera shop where I get pics developed have made unsolicited comments about images from this lens. And those people see a lot of pictures so a positive comment from them doesn't come easy.

I think every serious amateur/pro user who doesn't use Pentax should buy a K100 just to use the 3 FA Limiteds. But I freely admit to being addicted to FA Limiteds.

My criticism? The lens hood on the 31 can't be removed. What a pain.
05-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
DAP

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
At some of the other forums the same few people criticized this lens whenever a question about it came up. Human nature being what it is the negative perception drowned out the positive comments. Recently over at DPR a few opinion leaders tried the 43... and liked it. Now this lens is highly regarded over at that forum. **shake head**

I'll be the first to admit that no lens is perfect for all purposes, but people really need to think for themselves.

Amen brother - I have noticed this phenomenon as well. A lens/camera can get totally ignored (or slammed as in the case of the 43) and then one or two people sing its praises - next thing you know the net is flowing with nothing but praise and adoration for said piece of equipment - it quickly becomes the "must have" piece of gear (stores are quickly sold out, etc.).....quite funny actually. You also see a lot of people reading the same old lens reviews on a certain website (Stan's lens review - don't get me wrong it is a great page, but come on people - they are just opinions!) - take them as gospel and then spread the word as fact without ever trying the lens - it has caused many good lenses to be chalked up as bad in the arena of public opinion. I guess it all goes hand in hand with the internet. That is why in my original post I said that the "buzz" surrounding a lens creates half of the legend, whether it is deserved or not.
05-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
DAP

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I suspect that all of the FA limited lenses will become "classics". They've made so many DA limiteds, that I find it unlikely that they will every become "classics". Only way is if they cease production, and with them selling so well, that won't happen. There will always be too many of them around.

Well I don't know exactly how limited the FA limiteds really are - there seems to be a LOT of 77mm and 43mm limiteds floating around - they have been available for at least 7 or 8 years and have been popular since day 1 (the 31 on the other hand will probably end up being more rare just because of the fact that its price tag seriously limits its mass appeal - whereas the 43 and 77 are within the reach of a lot more people)

05-06-2007, 03:28 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
Well I don't know exactly how limited the FA limiteds really are - there seems to be a LOT of 77mm and 43mm limiteds floating around - they have been available for at least 7 or 8 years and have been popular since day 1 (the 31 on the other hand will probably end up being more rare just because of the fact that its price tag seriously limits its mass appeal - whereas the 43 and 77 are within the reach of a lot more people)
The owner of one of the major used camera shops in the UK (which is local to me) said that he'd never seen a 31LE before mine in the time since it's been made - a fair number of 43s, some 77s, but no 31.

I think classic is an oversused term - of all the Minolta AF lenses I heard people talk about for example, I think the only 'classic' was the 85G. The Nikon pancake is another that comes to mind. The FA35 is a great lens, but I don't ever get misty-eyed over letting it go. By comparison, I think I would struggle to sell the 31LE.

Martin
05-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My Choices

I would say the 31 Limited and the 70 Limited...

Ben
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I doubt any of the Fa limited would become classics as there are just so many of them around and production will probably never cease.

I think the classics would be most likely the new two zooms Da* 16-50 and 50-135 as they are dear in terms of price and not that many would be sold - more likely to become classics.

Or the forth coming Da* 200mm and 300mm primes would become legendary if the sale was very low in volumes due to their prices: more likely to limit their numbers in production, more likely to become classics...
05-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excluding the FA lenses, I'd say that the classics would include the DA Limiteds only- especially the (40mm) pancake. The other zooms have a cheap, plasticky build that won't let them survive through time

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I doubt any of the Fa limited would become classics as there are just so many of them around and production will probably never cease.

I think the classics would be most likely the new two zooms Da* 16-50 and 50-135 as they are dear in terms of price and not that many would be sold - more likely to become classics.

Or the forth coming Da* 200mm and 300mm primes would become legendary if the sale was very low in volumes due to their prices: more likely to limit their numbers in production, more likely to become classics...
Roentarre,

If these become classics simply by dubious virtue of a lack of sales...we are all in for a heap of trouble

Stephen
05-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
It's sad watching how the 43 was dissed until recently. At some of the other forums the same few people criticized this lens whenever a question about it came up. Human nature being what it is the negative perception drowned out the positive comments. Recently over at DPR a few opinion leaders tried the 43... and liked it. Now this lens is highly regarded over at that forum. **shake head**

My criticism? The lens hood on the 31 can't be removed. What a pain.

Tranq78,

Well, there always have been lens snobs and perhaps there always will be. There are few lenses made today that won't take good images. Some lenses are clearly better and will offer a fine finished product and usually that will come with price tag.

The problem with the 43 Ltd is not it's output. It is the focal length and where it fits into a photographers arsenal of lenses. This is one of the lenses that I think requires time to work with and learn. Fromthe beginning I have found it exceptionally well made and performance is beyond expectations. It is nice to see that those whom appreciated it, while the stones were being thrown, are finally vindicated by a rather glowing report from Photozone.

Even the limitations of "lowly" lenses like kit lens, can perform admirably with the right photographer at the helm and with some minimal PP.

Also, anyone considering a review as a sole source of information would be best off trying, or borrowing a lens to see if it fits their personal needs. Few reading a review really know the expertise of the author...rendering the content...incomplete at best.

Stephen