07-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Is this sigma HSM version?

07-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
Unless they do not use HSM in the Pentax mount there is no non-HSM version, only a non-DG older version which from all reports is no different in terms of IQ or colors.

Sigma - Lenses
07-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
No HSM for Pentax.
07-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
No HSM for Pentax.
dang it, I was afraid of that!! I have had great results with Sigma lenses, why do they not include HSM on Pentax mount lenses?

07-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

No hsm is a plus if you want to use a teleconverter IMO
07-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
No hsm is a plus if you want to use a teleconverter IMO
simply put why? And please, by all means offer proof.
07-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
simply put why? And please, by all means offer proof.
Sigma doesn't have a tc that works on pentax mount with usm according to this Tele Converter matching list - SIGMA CORPORATION

I have not had luck with my 300mm sdm and a couple of kenko's I have tried, some say the tamron works but it is out of production and overpriced. Pentax doesn't seem to be able to get one to work either. My opinion is my opinion, I don't think it needs to be proven. If you find a TC to work with HSM on pentax I would like one also.

07-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's an excellent lens, just be mindful to stop it down a bit when you're focusing closely.

it's also a great lens to use with flash, because of the constant aperture.
07-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

THANKS for the explaination... :D

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Sigma doesn't have a tc that works on pentax mount with usm according to this Tele Converter matching list - SIGMA CORPORATION
QuoteQuote:
I have not had luck with my 300mm sdm and a couple of kenko's I have tried, some say the tamron works but it is out of production and overpriced. Pentax doesn't seem to be able to get one to work either.
Now that IS WEIRD...another black mark on the Pentax side of the board (in my book there are not but a few so no worry for me) or maybe even Sigma for now making it work dang it!! It's damned good thing I LIKE my K20D so much, and of course the oh, so wonderful Limiteds!!...hehehehe. It would be interesting to know WHY this is the case that HSM and Pentax are not good pals. Stoopid Sigma!

At least the Pentax situation is better than that for Sony's. But for one or two all only manual focus with a TC...at least the Pentax's that will take a TC can AF as expected. Still darned strange with the HSM enabled lenses. Something new to read up on I guess.

Thanks for the details about the DA* 300mm. I would have been willing to bet I had run across posts with shots using a DA* 300mm TC where the author indicated AF worked but only with a Pentax TC, I dunno why but the 1.7x is in my head, but maybe it was an older 300mm??...so, another potential short coming on the Pentax side. But, hey SDM is new so there is time...I hope? Do other SDM lenses have the same issue? Or is this dependent on the body used?

At least AF is retained on the non-HSM Sigma lenses...all but two of the Sony mounts retain AF...of course the 70-200 F2.8 II is one of them and is a lens I was counting on for my Pentax using a TC but I can always buy the older, assuming it's the first version of the 70-200 as it was not an HSM lens anyway. Not thrilled with the price of the 60-250 F4 being a solid $400-$500 more than the Sigma 70-200 F2.8...

QuoteQuote:
My opinion is my opinion, I don't think it needs to be proven. If you find a TC to work with HSM on pentax I would like one also.
If one offers an opinion, especially a 'sound bite' variety opinion without supporting arguments, it is only reasonable to ask that person for supporting arguments to back it up...I mean an opinion needs to have some reasoned thought process behind it or that opinion is of little to no value...you've read many of those sort of comments online made with no rational reason basis for the opinion. Yours made sense after it was explained...thanks!!
07-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it's an excellent lens, just be mindful to stop it down a bit when you're focusing closely.

it's also a great lens to use with flash, because of the constant aperture.
WOW...what a great example of how good the 100-300 is...given the very subtle color variations in that shot many longer lenses would lose the detail. Just pleasing shot to look at...thanks for the tip on stopping down when close. When I had my 100-300 (Canon mount) I really did not use it a lot because like 2-days after ordering it I decided to switch to Pentax because of the darned K7 so I never did more than try it mostly from longer distances on a mono-pod.
07-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the more remarkable considering that image was made using a K10D at ISO800 and it's very close to a 100% crop too.
07-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I want this lens badly and have seen it for AU$1899 so With a tax cheque and cash.........
Fabulous shot of the bird is making this easy and hard

cheers
07-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Here is a similar example from a 100-300 f4.
Again at near 100% crop, however this example also shows the haloing that I have found to come into effect when the lens is at its close focus distance.
I believe this is common with this lens, as I read that at close focusing and 300mm there can be haloing, especially wide open.

K20D ISO 400

07-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 100-300mm f/4 EX DG suffers quite badly from that particular optical aberration it also suffers from transverse chromatic aberration (blue fringes at the extremeties of the frame) at distances approaching it's minimum focusing mark of 1.8m . I haven't tested this lens with a tele-converter but I have heard reports that with a Tamron 1.4 TC it doesn't lose much in terms of image quality.

Another irritating thing about this lens is that it is very prone to flare - even with the hood on. And i'm using the latest DG version of the lens, if only sigma would improve their lens coatings!
07-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I want this lens badly and have seen it for AU$1899 so With a tax cheque and cash.........
Fabulous shot of the bird is making this easy and hard

cheers

funny, I bought mine BEFORE the price went up...I paid $1450AU for mine - and I got that price from camera store here in adelaide...they happened to have one in stock. I don't like buying lenses online...I like to be able to get a feel for them on my camera before I buy, I also like to take a few test images to make sure I don't get a defective copy, which was something I was wary of since the 100-300mm F4 is my first sigma lens..