Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #1

DA 55-300 filter problem?

I have just bought a new DA 55-300
VERY impressed with picture quallity at all focal lengths --- until I fitted a UV filter that is.
I am using a Hoya Pro digital filter.
After the filter was fitted I noticed a slight bluriness to edges - almost a double image effect, a bit like astigmatism. Worst at F5.8 / 300mm but still visible even when stopped down to F8.
Remove the filter and the problem goes away. I can live without it.
Wonder if anyone else has struck this - I use the same Hoya filters on all my other lenses and haven't seen this effect before.
Another minor problem is that the lens does not identify itself to the camera (K100DS) as the other pentax lenses do. Cleaned all the contacts - no change.

Faulty lens???

Geoff.

07-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No idea on the lens identification, but my advice is ditch the filter idea. I use a polariser occasionally or nothing on the lens. You dont need it on digital.
07-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Geoff.
That's the first I've heard of either problem, though the bluriness with the filter may just be a dud filter - I'd try it with other filters and see if the effect is duplicated. No such problems with my own 55-300 - I have the Super HMC (not Pro1) and can't see an appreciable difference in IQ.

Lens non-identity issue is harder to work out - whether the problem's from the lens or the camera. If all contacts are fine and the camera seems to recognise all the other lenses, it may be the 55-300 you have that has the issue. If it's bought locally perhaps you can get the vendor to check it out for you?
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Guys,
I have already decided to ditch the filter thanks Pschlute. It was only for lens protection anyway. Even with the high UV we have here in NZ it doesn't seem to affect the digital cameras as badly as film. So out it goes!! Will just use the lens cap.

Thanks for your info Ash - next step I think is a visit to the Pentax agent who fortunately is here in Christchurch.

Thanks

Geoff.

07-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The idea of UV filters as a way of improving anything other than the size of the camera store store profit is a myth perpetuated by camera salespeople. They better filters won't degrade your image as much as the cheap ones, but none with improve your image - unless maybe you are shooting with a very old lens that has no coatings itself.