Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What stage of LBA am I in now?

I've had some time off from work and got to cleaning up around the house and noticed how many lenses I've got tucked away here and there. Now these aren't what you would call collectors items - you could say they have lots of personality. I was thinking how I probably would never take another shot with the majority of them and decided to put them up for sale. All said and done, I've taken about a dozen lens and used the money from the sales to get me a good "working" collection of three: FA50mm 1.4, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, and a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8. The question I have is: Have I ended my LBA or have I simply moved on to another (more expensive) stage? I should have all I would ever need. Has anyone else gone through this and if so, did it LBA disappear?

07-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, and No. I've yet to sell a lens... and though I have more than enough, I get the occasional Irrisistible Urge. I'm attempting to channel this towards only things that move me significantly forward in the hobby, rather than re-treading similar terrain... with but little success.

The only solution is to stop going on ebay and coming to sites such as this... We're so good at enabling each other
07-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess my biggest problem was looking at things logically. The reason I've got time off is my wife just gave birth to our second son and I guess my view of the world around me has changed. I was looking at each lens thinking either - "You're cool looking and all... maybe a conversation piece, but I'm never going to use you much." or "I'm not sure why I keep you around. You're not that sharp and your low light performance sucks." of "What the hell was I thinking when I got you? - Late night beer drinking and the internet don't mix well... at least for my wallet." I was thinking if I had just a few really nice lenses that covered the range I use I would need no more. I'm at peace now - I just hope it lasts. Maybe a new forum should be started - Lens Buying Addiction Anonymous. Some community support for all those suffering.
07-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You have just moved on to another stage of LBA if you ask me. Going from the cheap, quite often quite crappy but fun, lenses to the more expensive lenses. Soon you'll be heading into the relic area looking for the FA*85 and other lenses that, whatever you do or tell yourself, are too expensive to justify themselves... and that's just about where the LBA kicks in...

07-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Inactive Account

LBA never ends.. (not with the relatively short registration distance of the K-Mount )

Thank goodness my signature doesn't have enough room to list all the K-mount lenses I've ever owned.

At one point after you've bought (and sold) most of the rare and exotic lenses (of course after buying just about every Pentax lens made) then the real LBA-OB and LCA kicks in...

(Lens Buying Addicion - Other Brands, and then of course Lens Converting Addiction)
07-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

not really. you just transcended into another level of LBA. like me for example. I'm considering buying a 200mm f4 lens. lol.
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Igilligan

Phase II

It has not ended... you have just cleaned out your closet to start again...

The beauty is that we get a bit wiser as we go thru the cycles. But with wisdom usually comes higher prices...

We stop buying the drunken late night Ebay grab bag 'bargain' lenses, hoping for a jewel amidst the paperweights. And we start getting more specific based on images our 'Enabling' buddies on the forum post.

So welcome to Phase II... and may I recommend the....

The Tair 11A 135 2.8
The Helios 44M
The Jupiter 9 85mm
The Meyer Optik 100 2.8

BuuWAAAHHHHAAAA
07-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #8

If, like me, you're constantly looking at primes which for some reason are getting more expensive the longer you look and are considering a Tamron SP 180 f/2.5 35th Anniversary Edition you've reached the height of your addiction potential.

Or atleast I hope so as I don't like feeling poor.

Last edited by 2Thumbs; 07-15-2009 at 11:17 AM.
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #9

Ive just done the same as you,but like you I have a gap at the wide angle and macro locations.
Just hunting to fill them gaps now
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh NOOOOooooooooooooo
I thought that I was doing quite well buying cheeper lenses and broken lenses I can fix. It appears that I am at the beginning of a long and potentially very expensive / detrimental addiction. Mabe if I embrace the problem and make a consious atempt to move onto the next stage I can get to the other end quicker and save myself.....
Or maybe reach bankruptcy sooner
07-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timk Quote
Ive just done the same as you,but like you I have a gap at the wide angle and macro locations.
Just hunting to fill them gaps now
wide angle....you've a large gap to fill then; if you think you've had it tough so far, good luck with that one!
07-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
wide angle....you've a large gap to fill then; if you think you've had it tough so far, good luck with that one!
I did have a 10-17mm but sold it in a moment of madness but I'm teetering on the edge of getting a sigma 10-20mm now.
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The wide end...

Well, my first stage of LBA was a wide addiction. I too went nuts and picked up a 10-17mm and had fun with it for about 2-3 weeks then realized that it's use was very narrow. (It's kind of like the pool table in the spare room - it got a lot of play time the first month we had it, now I don't think anyone has even glanced at it in a year.) I then went with a 10-20 and to be honest it wasn't everything I thought it would be. Those two lenses now have other homes. *BUT* being honest with myself I have been playing around with macro for a few months and have always been intrigued by the FA50 2.8 macro. I can never justify buying it though. I think that the most I would ever do is order a reverse mount adapter ring. The thing is though, the moment I do that, my LBA would rev up for macro and it will all be over again. Someone get me counseling.
07-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ah - Matt!!! You hit on the two sure-fire ways to end this sort of addiction... bankrupcy and actually fixing/restoring stuff. This second one I find especially useful - it got me out of the hi-fi jones several years ago - I built my own gear and modded vintage JBL - this cured me of listening to all the experts with their latest and greatest...

I still struggle, but then I've not yet migrated to full fledged camera repair... more along the edges still. Once I'm there, once I've torn down a SLR lens, repaired a rim-set shutter, replaced a bellows...

But meanwhile: I lack an interchangeable lens medium format camera and the two/three necessary lenses for it...
07-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Oh NOOOOooooooooooooo
I thought that I was doing quite well buying cheeper lenses and broken lenses I can fix. It appears that I am at the beginning of a long and potentially very expensive / detrimental addiction. Mabe if I embrace the problem and make a consious atempt to move onto the next stage I can get to the other end quicker and save myself.....
Let's not kid ourselves Matt. LBA is akin to Dante's Inferno and the 9 circles of suffering. Welcome to Hell my friend... enjoy the ride.