Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

Tamron 70-200 aperture stuck

Hi I hope I'm posting this in the correct folder. I recently bought the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and noticed earlier this week that the aperture seems stuck wide open. I did some research on the net and noticed it happened to other users of the T 70-200 for K-mount as well. I have the 6 year warranty and was told to send it to their repair facility in NY state. Does anyone know what the turnaround time is for repairs, specifically the aperture issue? I'm wondering if they can fix it or send out a new item.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

07-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Turns out the six year warranty refers to how long it takes 'em to fix it . I sent my 70-200 in in late March with the same problem. Sent it in around the 23rd of March and got it back on the 24th of May - a good two months. But it's working great again, and hopefully it won't need service again..

The six year warranty really is piece of mind.
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
I sent it off yesterday and also called their service center. She mentioned a 2 to 3 week turnaround so I'm hopeful.
08-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I dug this thread out to express the same problem...

Less than one month into using my brand new Tamron 70-200 and shooting with it less than 100 actuations, I came across exposure and DOF problems that just seemed odd. Knowing the sticky aperture lever was a common problem with this lens I dismounted it to find that it indeed was stuck and wasn't about to come loose.

So yet another fatality to Tamron's 70-200.... shame really, it's optically great and easy to use. Unfortunately the 6-yr warranty is US only so I'll have to send it back to B&H and hopefully get an exchange.

Though I too am weary about just getting another copy that will eventually suffer the same fate, and next time beyond what would be supported by B&H's returns policy. Looks like I'll be asking for Sigma's version even though I'm not too keen on the brand...

08-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A word of praise to B&H.
Within hours of me sending an email request for a refund of the problem lens, they CALLED back to me in Australia and apologised for the problem and processed the refund request for me.

With that kind of customer service and the speediest postage of their gear, even overseas, no need to look any further for purchasing new gear...
08-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's good to hear Ash

Although I've never dealt with them personally that's one camera store I recomend to people, whom can't find what they're looking for locally.

I'm actually pretty lucky, there are 2 stores in British Columbia who give me the best price possible. So I rarely have any reason to shop anywhere else.
I wish that everyone had the same thing locally