Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Henrys Camera Show (Lots of Pics)

Just some background, Henrys is just about the largest camera retailer in Toronto and every once or twice in a year, they host a large camera show kinda like PMA but smaller.

I went today and yes I went to the Pentax Booth. :P All the following images were taken with flash and the lens used is labeled in brackets below the photo.

(Vivitar S1 28-90)

You were free to pick it up on their demo K10Ds and play around with it, which they said are calibrated for optimal performance. This I'm assuming is the firmware that allows for SDM usage. I told them I shoot manual aways but they said the lens stays on their K10Ds and that no images were allowed to be kept because the lenses are still in 'pre production'. The rep also said that so many of those lenses were preordered that anyone who didn't will have to wait a long long time haha.

(Demo 21mm Ltd)

(Demo 16-45 at 45mm)

The two DA* are very nice. Their 'heft' gives a good quality feel. Focus was fast althougth I'm not a big fan of AF. The rings are dampened although its no where near the Limiteds or the older manual focus lenses in 'smoothness'. The DA* 50-135 doesn't change size. All zoom and focusing are internal. For its size, I've come to realize that Pentax might have been right to remove the tripod collar although they should have included an optional or removable one just for convenience. Its small enough to hold with the hand and for its range (75-202mm equiv.), a tripod collar might not be all that beneficial.

I don't know if its just me but alot the new lenses...the DA*, Nikkors, Canons, Sigmas...there's a bit of 'disconnect' with the focus ring. Like alot of them you can actually turn the ring past its max/min focal distance. (The scale will stop turning but physically you can keep turning). Also, you don't feel like you are 'directly' changing the focus as you turn.

Seeing the DA*s was nice but the real heart stoppers was this next dish served up by the Pentax reps.

(Vivitar S1 28-90, sry about the bad dof. I was underexposing even with flash. Should have boosted the ISO and dropped to shutter speed to stop down some more.)

Too bad it didn't come with maple syrup.

The Pentax booth was rather sparely populated and the reps were friendly and let me try on practically all their lenses. (Except the DA*s) The DA pancakes are a total wonder. They are so thin it just blows your mind. The quality feel is great. The metal rings are well dampened and smooth. The image quality is stellar. I could instantly tell a sudden boost in the "crispness" of the images.

(Demo 40 Ltd)

(Demo 21 Ltd)

The Pentax reps also let me try on some of their other lenses which was great. Here's some more pics.

(Demo 16-45 at 45mm)

(Demo 16mm at 16mm)

(Demo 14mm)

(Fully fished Demo 10-17mm)

(Demo 10-17 at 17mm...f8 ISO 800 and flash)

(Demo DFA 100mm Macro ..very thin DOF but very sharp as you can see. This lens was also designed in co-operation with Tokina)

(Vivitar S1 28-90)

05-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #2

Hey Pete,
When were you there yesterday? My friend and I came from Waterloo and we stuck around 11am-1pm.
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #3

Cool! How long was the 50-135 with the hood on? I'd like to know the same about the 60-250.

Thanks much,
Will
05-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It ain't too long as you can see in the pics. As for the DA* 60-250, they didn't have it there.

jslifoaw, I was there just before 1pm and stayed for like an hour and a half or so?

05-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Great report. Would love to run into a show like that. All the lenses.LBA could kick in. Don't hear much about new Vivitar lenses. Thought they stopped selling slr lenses. Guess I was wrong.
thanks
barondla

Glad you kept the Pentax reps company.
05-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LoL, my Vivitar's old. I actually don't know much about Vivitar nowadays. I think they are making digicams now. As for their slr lenses. its whatever comes out of Cosina.