Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With regards to extension tubes, my tip is no matter what the objective lens used, try and get an extension tube that has the aperture coupling lever to allow automatic diaphragm operation and open aperture metering. It saves time and you don't have to stop down the aperture before shooting.

Trying to use cheap extension tubes in M mode is really a hit or miss affair. With an aperture coupled tube, you can shoot in aperture priority and the camera can meter the appropriate shutter speed STEPLESSLY. This is far, far more accurate considering that there will be light loss due to the length of the extension tube used.

BTW the photo of the extension tube that OrenMc won on eBay is that of the Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K. The 3 sections have an extension of 12mm, 19mm and 26mm respectively, and 57mm if used altogether.

07-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think your right creampuff, they look like the other set I was bidding on that were the "auto". I email the guy to double check but haven't heard back yet.

I agree with you about using tubes that have aperture control. That was one of the reason I didnt keep the Viv 90. When your moving around trying to capture bugs you lose valuble time trying to stop down an meter.

Monochrome, I don't know how you do it. I haven't used my credit card for some time but if the right deal for the A* 200 pops up.....

Heather, I could use the Tamron also in my line up. I need something fast in that range. More LBA.

Igilligan, sooner or later I will probably get the raynox. It does seem to work well.

Last edited by OrenMc; 07-16-2009 at 03:26 AM.
07-16-2009, 03:49 AM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feed my macro addiction with m42 extention tubes and old lenses, reverse mount adaptors and lens to lens coupling rings. I have yet to buy an actual macro lens. But I would like to. Macro with more control might be a cool ability to have.

07-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
wish you the best. Your a better man than I.
I'm not sure about that. It's just that I have so much to learn right now, that I'd rather learn it with one lens, and decide at some point in the future if another focal length would suit me better. But the FA 50 macro is so impressive, I find it hard to believe a different lens could please me more.

And I do have a 28 mm plus reversing ring for 2:1 enlargments. Tricky to use, but it works.

07-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I think your right creampuff, they look like the other set I was bidding on that were the "auto".
A lot of tubes do look the same--I've been looking for a while too! The most obvious difference in the Pentax ones (if they didn't do multiple versions of each) is the "ridges" (or whatever you call the part that looks like a focusing ring). The Manual tubes have a single ridge and the auto tubes have a double ridge. As for telling by sight which is 9.5mm and which is 12mm, well, I can't do it!

Can you post the $109 set link if you still have it? I'm curious--maybe that description was screwed up too!

Here are the manual tubes:

and the auto tubes:
07-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #21
jem

I was eyeballing that one also but couldn't get myself ot pull the trigger. Thats really pushing my finances. But damn thats a beautiful lens.
I've been admiring Marc's macro work with his FA* so much I couldn't resist when I spotted the A*200mm macro. Looks like it will be delivered today. Now all I need is one of Marc's workshops so I can soak up some of his technique.

Last edited by jem; 07-16-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: sp
07-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #22
jem

I think your right creampuff, they look like the other set I was bidding on that were the "auto". I email the guy to double check but haven't heard back yet.

I agree with you about using tubes that have aperture control. That was one of the reason I didnt keep the Viv 90. When your moving around trying to capture bugs you lose valuble time trying to stop down an meter.
I bought a set of these automatic extension tubes when they were around $100 USD around the first of the year. The price has gone out of sight of late - around $200 USD at the current exchange rate. They do work well with full aperture control.

Last edited by jem; 07-16-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Updated link
07-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I wish I had internet access other than on my phone so I could entice/torture you with some fresh A* 200mm shots Oren . It really is superb. Hope you have some luck finding one in your price range.

07-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
A lot of tubes do look the same--I've been looking for a while too! The most obvious difference in the Pentax ones (if they didn't do multiple versions of each) is the "ridges" (or whatever you call the part that looks like a focusing ring). The Manual tubes have a single ridge and the auto tubes have a double ridge. As for telling by sight which is 9.5mm and which is 12mm, well, I can't do it!

Can you post the $109 set link if you still have it? I'm curious--maybe that description was screwed up too!

Here are the manual tubes:

and the auto tubes:
I took another look since you posted pictures and they were the " auto "set.
Thanks for posting them.

I don't understand though why my guy would have said they auto aperture and meter. I asked him to cancel the order and I hope there will be no problems.

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I bought a set of these automatic extension tubes when they were around $100 USD around the first of the year. The price has gone out of sight of late - around $200 USD at the current exchange rate. They do work well with full aperture control.
I know its nuts how prices have soared in the last year. I was looking at them about a year ago also and have looked recently and about fell out of my chair when I did.
I really don't want to put much money into tubes right now because I already have 1:1 and that is difficult enough. Mabey down the road after much practice I will rethink.

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I wish I had internet access other than on my phone so I could entice/torture you with some fresh A* 200mm shots Oren . It really is superb. Hope you have some luck finding one in your price range.

You said it right when you said " entice/torture. It would most definitely be both until I get my own.

I got to tell all of you I really appreciate all the help I have had on this one.

Last edited by OrenMc; 07-17-2009 at 01:57 AM.