Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saga continues: Macro LBA

To start off I will add a link to previous thread to explain a little bit of my situation.
LBA Anonymous My 8th macro lens in the last year and a half arrived yesterday, the Sigma 70. I won't do any reviews yet because I haven't given it a good spin yet.

Anyway, I really don't know what it is about macro lenses in particular that I have had this insane obsession over. Every lens I have tried has been a good lens. There really isn't that much difference in real world IQ that I could tell. Each lens of course had its own characteristics and I suppose thats why there is a indiviual preference from everyone.
I quess I have been looking for a lens that will do all the work for me. Hell, I know it is more the technique and skill than the lens. I have seen some stellar macro done with zooms. So I wonder when it will end?

I did get luck today and picked up a set of original Pentax extension tubes with auto aperture for $65. I have been looking for a set but didn't want to shell out over a hundered dollars. In fact I was bidding on a set and bid $77.77 on a set before I left to work knowing I would be outbid. But right after I put in the bid I continue the search and low and behold I found this set. Tubes The other set went for $109.

But the point is?? I quess its time I just roll up my sleeves and get to work. No lens is going to do it for me. I now have everything I need. I even got the time.
I have seen a few folks try to swear off LBA for a time but rarely seen them succeed so I am not swearing to nothing and see if that works.

BTW, does anyone have a Tokina 90mm f2.5, Pentax A 100 f2.8 or an A* 200mm macro they want to sell.

Last edited by OrenMc; 07-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Been asking that about the Tokina for a while now. :P
07-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
BTW, does anyone have a Tokina 90mm f2.5, Pentax A 100 f2.8 or an A* 200mm macro they want to sell.
Macro LBA continues to strike me as well. Mine should arrive via EMS either tomorrow or Friday.
07-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Just got myself an FA 50 macro. My first macro lens. It's everything I could wish for, I think. Before that I had two good 1:1,2 lenses. I'm all set.

07-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Been asking that about the Tokina for a while now. :P
Like I said, it never ends.

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Macro LBA continues to strike me as well. Mine should arrive via EMS either tomorrow or Friday.
I was eyeballing that one also but couldn't get myself ot pull the trigger. Thats really pushing my finances. But damn thats a beautiful lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Just got myself an FA 50 macro. My first macro lens. It's everything I could wish for, I think. Before that I had two good 1:1,2 lenses. I'm all set.
I wish you the best. Your a better man than I.
07-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Igilligan

I dont want to be a spoiler...

But I am not sure the Pentax tubes are 'A'. But I am sure you knew that. The ones I have that look kinda like those, work as auto on the old film cameras, in that they 'auto' move the aperture manually on old lenses. But they do not transmit 'A' info electrically like we need for Pentax 'A' lenses...

I could just be talking out my arse here so take it all with a grain. I ended up having to get the Kenko 'A' tubes for use with my 'A' lenses/flash.

But I absolutely know about macro lens addiction.
I have:

Pentax M50 f4
Pentax 100 f4 actually, I loaned that to someone and never got it back... ummmhh
M42 Vivitar Series 1 90 2.5 with matching macro adaptor
Vivitar Series 1 105 2.5
Industar 50 2.8

And you are right in that they are really all good... Sadly I get almost as good of results from a raynox 250 sitting on old primes ...

I would love the sigma 180 and 70...

Congrats on the new lens... And hopefully I am absolutely wrong about those tubes...
07-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OrenMc, I guess you and I have this common affinity for macro lenses. I think quite a number of my friends like frank also have this attraction too...

But seriously, having had many fine macro lenses go through my hands, the conclusion is it is not about the lens per se but the photographer's skill and technique.
Yes there are differences between lenses but if technique is poor, no wonder lens is going to salvage a crappy shot.
This is something you as a photographer must assess carefully.

In all my lenses, I've stuck to my criteria that it must have full auto aperture control.
I like to shoot fast, whether macro or non macro subjects, and I find older macro lenses without the A setting on the aperture to be a big liability as I require quick aperture changes without having to fiddle with exposure or the green button.

My macro tally...
FA 100mm f/2.8
DFA 100 f/2.8
FA 50mm f/2.8
DFA 50mm f/2.8
A 50mm f/2.8
Sigma 50mm f/2.8
Sigma 90mm f/2.8
Vivitar 100mm f/3.5
Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5
not counting the close-up lenses, extension tubes and bellows
07-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But I am not sure the Pentax tubes are 'A'.
Hey, I had a look too... and I'm also hoping for your sake that I'm wrong!--the Pentax Auto tubes are 12, 19 & 26mm, and the manual ones are 9.5, 19, 28.5.

Pentax Close-up Accessories

"Auto" means different things too--I bought some Vivitar ones that were "Auto," but all that meant was that they have levers to stop down the lens (useable in M mode).

I can't see a lever in the pics on your listing either, so I'm not sure how they'd stop down

Anyway, it clearly states in the listing that it has "auto aperture coupling" so you have a case if you need to send them back!

Good luck with them!

07-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Wait til you get into the "alternative" macros, the Leica 100 and 60, the Zeiss 50, and even a few of the Nikkors.

Good luck with the tubes!
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn, your right guys about the auto aperture I think. There goes another bubble. It does state for auto aperture and metering though so I if I do have aperture control I may be alright.
But the numbers don't add up as you said farsisa. He says they are 9.5,19, 28.5 so that would make them full manual.

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses. I will still continue to kick myself but maybe not so hard.

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Wait til you get into the "alternative" macros, the Leica 100 and 60, the Zeiss 50, and even a few of the Nikkors.

Good luck with the tubes!
I forgot to mention I have been considering the Zeiss 100 f/2

Thanks about the tubes.
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I know exactly what you mean with that macro LBA. If money were no object, I'd add a DFA50 and a Sigma 180. While it's not a 1:1 macro, I've also given a good bit of thought to picking up the Tamron 70-200/2.8, as it's MFD is a good bit shorter than the DA55-300 and it's close up capability is 1:2.85

I like getting up close and personal with my plants and small critters.

Heather
07-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anti-LBA

1. Sold my Viv S1 105
  2. Sold my Manual Extension Tubes
  3. Sold another dozen lenses of duplicate focal lengths
Paid the Credit Card
  1. Kept my Tamron 90/2.5 SP 52B and 1:1 Extension Tube
  2. Kept my Pentax 100MM Auto Extension tube
  3. Kept an esoteric collection of 10 or so Pentax and Tammy lenses
I guess I can still do all the Macro and close-ups I need
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I've gone through quite a few macros (Tamron 90/2.5, Vivitar 55/2.8, Macro Tak 50/4, FA50/2.8). I find the DA35 suits me best. I don't really shoot bugs, I'm more of a flower guy. I find the DA35 allows me to shoot everyday close-ups and is an excellent all-around lens.
07-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a 'two-fer'.

Every once in a while you stumble upon a bargain 2x TC with the AE pins AND an optical element that easily unscrews from the barrel. The KATANA 2x and its clones are an example. Look for the opposed notches for a spanner wrench in the pictures.

Depending on the tube, you basically have a 24~26mm AE-auto extension tube that could double as a 2x TC in a pinch - at least that's how to justify it to the spousal-unit/finance minister. And the quality (or lack thereof) in the optics is not a concern.

Just used mine again last evening with a DA 16-45, a Takumar-A 135/2.5 and an SMC-A 50/1.7with good results.

H2
Attached Images

07-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Igilligan

Wonderful colors on the Berry... really nice

I just used the travelin' nifty fifty A50 1.7 + a raynox adaptor to get a couple of decent macro's too