Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Leo, I have a friend with a Canon 30D (shhh, don't tell anyone in the forum) and until recently he had only one lens: Sigma 18-200mm. He's used that lens exclusively for 2-3 years, and I can asure you his photos are of the utmost quality (mostly landscape and still life, mind you). A few months ago he finally "caved in" and bought a Canon L 24-70mm f/2.8 "because I want a zoom I can shoot with in low light". This guy has anti-LBA, I tell you!

All this to say, more power to you, Leo!

07-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I own a k1000 and I am looking for a zoom lense (i already have 55mm on the camera) Would a Tamron be compatible with the k1000?
07-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I thought you must have got a Helios 44M...
Haaa. Well played hand...
07-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BlueEyes Quote
I own a k1000 and I am looking for a zoom lense (i already have 55mm on the camera) Would a Tamron be compatible with the k1000?
if its K mount and has an aperture ring then your good to go.

07-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So many responses since I last read this thread. I'll try and respond all at once.

gremlindesign:
Quote: "In my experience, long zooms actually put MORE dust on your sensor"

Not so far, though you certainly have a valid point. I just took a shot of the white screen I used for cleaning just before I installed the Tamron. No new spots have appeared, oddly a few vanished. The spots are subtle and would easily removed via post-processing whereas the dark spots before the wet cleaning would not be. I've taken 102 shots with that K100D between the white screen tests. I wonder if there is a dedicated spot where the air enters? A filter would make sense??

pxpaulx:
Quote: "It appears that rather than simple LBA, you have a more rare form around these parts, the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). You havent limited yourself to just lenses, but have branched out to camera bodies as well!"

First, don't be alarmed by what I'm about to say. You had no way of knowing. The reason I suddenly have so much equipment now is my wife died June 6 after 17+ wonderful years together. She was way ahead of me in most facets of photography. She has four film SLRs going back 30 years, I have one K1000 hand me down from her. She owned the istD which I bought her as soon as it was introduced knowing she envied the DSLRs other companies built but wanted Pentax since she had so many lenses for her K1000 and K-mount Ricoh. She would not take the Pentax Macro (also a gift) off her istD for fear of dust. I bought her a K100D so she could use her first AutoFocus lenses because I convinced her she could not manually adjust fast enough to shoot birds in motion.

This is why I now have enough DSLRs to dedicate: a grab and go camera (my K100D/Tamron), an astro camera (my K110D), a Macro camera (her istD), and still have her K100D to swap lenses on. This is about the only positive thing in my life for the last two months. I miss her. Enough said.

NaClH2O:
Quote: "Good luck with your new lens. I hope it provides everything your are expecting from it and more."

Always a positive note from my friend in NYC. I was down in Queens and Brooklyn taking photos if your interested and don't mind the travel log format.
Astroleo New Objects

MrApollinax:
Quote: "I actually thought that same way you do about needing a single lens. Guess what? the 18-250 will give you a decent all-around lens. However you will find the speed and the inherent problems of a superzoom limiting in some situations."

I'm happy with it so far! The Dog Park was the convincer. No time to change lenses between the long shot across the park and the dog who stands at your feet looking up with ears perked forward. Two seconds later it turns and runs away.

tomwil:
Quote: "It appears that there is a Tamron $30 Rebate for that lens here at B&H."

I mailed my rebate in! That brought the price down to $249 for the 18-200.

BlueEyes:
Quote: "I own a k1000 and I am looking for a zoom lens (i already have 55mm on the camera) Would a Tamron be compatible with the k1000?"

Not this 18-200 lens, it is Digital Only (AKA 24mm sensor) and warns that it is not to be used with 35mm full frame cameras. I think my Tamron 75-300 Zoom is 35mm compatible which is why it is heavier than my wife's Pentax 75-300 Zoom which is Digital Only. I need to confirm that before I sell the Tamron and keep the Pentax.
11-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
The saddest part is that these super-zooms are real dust suckers... That thing acts just like a pump... Sucking the air in and out when zoomed... along with the dust... so good luck with that... nevermind the IQ...

It has been 3.5 months and 2618 frames since I opened this thread. I took the same test shot of a white screen with high f ratio. The same three spots are there plus only one new spot. They are all minor spots easily removed with PSP 11. When I changed lenses in the past I rarely got ONE change without more than one new spot.

This camera has been everywhere with me including a day and a half at a dusty dairy farm, three visits to a dusty Mall in D.C., and several trips to the Dog Park.

I'm having a hard time with alexeyga's bellows analogy. Perhaps Tamron's air intake is too small for dust to get in?