Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Last Lens I Ever Will Need...

I finally bought a lens which I've been looking at for years. Since I'm not a victim of LBA I buy lenses rarely and cheaply. This time it was Tamron AF 18-200 mm Super Zoom.

Why buy a low cost obsolete lens that the experts would never consider?

Cost - I bought it from B&H for $289 with free shipping.

Old Model - Since Tamron and Pentax started selling the 18-250 the cost of the earlier model plunged.

Sell my KIT lenses - Get a little of my investment back. I have two sets now so can part with one set.

Versatile - I no longer need to carry both "KIT" lenses to cover 18-200.

Clean Sensor - This is the real big reason. I've been plagued with dust on the sensor of my K100D from day one. I do all the proper things: change lenses in low dust locations, change lenses quickly, aim the camera slightly down to keep dust from falling in, etc. I use my Giotto Rocket Blower regularly.

A few months ago I had to resort to wet cleaning, several spots would not come off with the blower. Last week I got some more blower resistant spots.

So I'm going to do something an SLR lover would call heresy - I'm going to dedicate my K100D to one lens. It has enough range to do whatever I need on a day-to-day basis. My K110D is a dedicated Astro camera. I can do this now because I recently came into an istD that will be my Macro camera. Having a camera per lens may seem extravagant but consider what these older models are worth these days. I still have a second K100D which has not had a lens assigned yet. It may get the Pentax 75-300 for bird photos. Four years ago I was a dedicated K1000 user, avid lens changer, and never heard of a DSLR. Now I have four DSLRs.

Today I took about 80 shots with the new Tamron and I like it. I was at the Dog Park where you need to quickly switch from close up to telephoto as the dogs run all over the place. I used to be stuck with the 18-55 since there was no time to switch lenses for the long shots.

I'm not that critical or artistic to tell the quality difference between the 18-200 and the two KIT lenses. I did take an f22 shot of the sky and found I had MANY spots. I did my second ever wet cleaning and though not perfect, it is WAY better. The most offensive spots vanished, 80% of the less offensive ones are gone, that which remain can easily be fixed with Post Processing. Now the new lens is on for the foreseeable future!

07-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
I finally bought a lens which I've been looking at for years. Since I'm not a victim of LBA I buy lenses rarely and cheaply. This time it was Tamron AF 18-200 mm Super Zoom.

Old Model - Since Tamron and Pentax started selling the 18-250 the cost of the earlier model plunged.

Sell my KIT lenses - Get a little of my investment back. I have two sets now so can part with one set.

Clean Sensor - This is the real big reason. I've been plagued with dust on the sensor of my K100D from day one. I do all the proper things: change lenses in low dust locations, change lenses quickly, aim the camera slightly down to keep dust from falling in, etc. I use my Giotto Rocket Blower regularly.

A few months ago I had to resort to wet cleaning, several spots would not come off with the blower. Last week I got some more blower resistant spots.

So I'm going to do something an SLR lover would call heresy - I'm going to dedicate my K100D to one lens. It has enough range to do whatever I need on a day-to-day basis. My K110D is a dedicated Astro camera. I can do this now because I recently came into an istD that will be my Macro camera. Having a camera per lens may seem extravagant but consider what these older models are worth these days. I still have a second K100D which has not had a lens assigned yet. It may get the Pentax 75-300 for bird photos. Four years ago I was a dedicated K1000 user, avid lens changer, and never heard of a DSLR. Now I have four DSLRs.

Today I took about 80 shots with the new Tamron and I like it. I was at the Dog Park where you need to quickly switch from close up to telephoto as the dogs run all over the place. I used to be stuck with the 18-55 since there was no time to switch lenses for the long shots.

I'm not that critical or artistic to tell the quality difference between the 18-200 and the two KIT lenses. I did take an f22 shot of the sky and found I had MANY spots. I did my second ever wet cleaning and though not perfect, it is WAY better. The most offensive spots vanished, 80% of the less offensive ones are gone, that which remain can easily be fixed with Post Processing. Now the new lens is on for the foreseeable future!
Isn't this the basic concept of a super-zoom compact? Same concept except now you have more DOF capability+ ISO performance.
07-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Congrats on the nice lens find!! As for the sensor cleaning...I might suggest looking into the same stuff many of the name brand repair/service centers use and that is the SensorKlear by LensPen. Works like a charm. And don't think using a wet cleaning system makes the process any safer from scratching your sensor than this method, no different, either method can damage the sensor if not properly done. I just prefer a fast and simple process vs. the issue of ensuring the proper cleaner for the sensor and then making sure one does not leave any residue behind. And then there is the whole issue of cleaning the corners. Since deciding to use the SensorKlear pen I have never had lingering dust probs which can actually come from small amounts of moisture remaining behind after a wet cleaning then locking dust into place.

Lens Pen - How To Use - SensorKlear

BTW, the above link with video is for v1 of the pen, I use the v2 (II) which is hinged allowing easier access to the back and corner areas. I also use an illuminated monocle type loupe rather than the sensor loupe from LensPen but the sensor loupe is still nice...just kinda hard to use in many locations.

Just a great and inexpensive product.
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did take an f22 shot of the sky and found I had MANY spots. I did my second ever wet cleaning and though not perfect, it is WAY better. The most offensive spots vanished, 80% of the less offensive ones are gone, that which remain can easily be fixed with Post Processing. Now the new lens is on for the foreseeable future!
Yeah,,I hear you , the lens will be on for ever, until the dust still trapped insude settles or moves a little and you clean the sendor again

For me, and I am not all that careful, I have only ever once used other than a blower on my *istD in 5 1/2 years, and with 19 lenses you can imagine i have changed many many times.

I don't see an issue with changing lenses. I often wonder if wet cleaning leaves either a residue or a surface condition that makes the sensor more prone to attraction in the future

07-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The saddest part is that these super-zooms are real dust suckers... That thing acts just like a pump... Sucking the air in and out when zoomed... along with the dust... so good luck with that... nevermind the IQ...
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't see an issue with changing lenses. I often wonder if wet cleaning leaves either a residue or a surface condition that makes the sensor more prone to attraction in the future
I have always had dust problems, but I did not do a wet clean for a couple of years. I would use my blower and get most of the dust off. Finally this year I've had several bad spots that the blower could not help thus was forced to buy a wet kit.

My wife's istD has had the manual Pentax 50mm f2.8 Macro I bought for her K1000 on it since shortly after I bought it ($1400 ta Ritz Camera). She still has no dust problem.
07-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I change lenses all the time, but try to limit it to places where there isn't much dust, dirt flying around. Probably once a month I'll hit the sensor with the blower and once I needed to do a wet cleaning, but it is worth it. I feel like I have a different camera depending on which lens I have in place and I couldn't give that feeling up, just to avoid dust.

07-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #8

In my experience, long zooms actually put MORE dust on your sensor. Most 18-200ish lenses extend several inches between wide end and tele end. The air that the lens draws in has to go somewhere when the zoom returns to its wide end it tends to sneeze all of that dust back into your cameras mirror cage. Take most any zoom lens off of your camera, hold one hand closely over the lens mount, and zoom all the way in and out a couple of times.
One lens in particular has earned notariety where i work. The Canon 100-400L is affectionately referred to as "the hoover."
The very best option is a weather-sealed lens.
Switching between 2 or 3 primes (which i do) shouldn't create much dust at all so long as you keep the mounts clean.
Also keep a lookout for lenses with stationary rear elements. I think pentax called this feature FREE, or fixed rear element extension. Air cant pass through the lens mount if theres always glass in the way. Some consumer Canon wide angle to short telephoto lenses had rear elements attatched directly to the mount itself, practically air-tight.
07-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It appears that rather than simple LBA, you have a more rare form around these parts, the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). You havent limited yourself to just lenses, but have branched out to camera bodies as well!

Personally I have ended up with a sort of political disease, the two system party (see sig).

anyway, I once thought i would be content with a sigma 28-200mm old film super zoom...you can see my sig to find out the end of that story. I hope to God the 50-135 satisfies me for awhile to come (so far, its looking good).
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with your new lens. I hope it provides everything your are expecting from it and more.

NaCl(different strokes and all that)H2O
07-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I actually thought that same way you do about needing a single lens. Guess what? the 18-250 will give you a decent all-around lens. However you will find the speed and the inherent problems of a superzoom limiting in some situations. At least I did. So the answer? More lenses My kit for the K100DS is just right. I do however need a larger bag now as carrying my Sigma 105, FA50, AF360 with my K100D+18-250 requires more space than my orginal kit. I just got back from a day shooting at the zoo. While I had the 18-250 on for most of the morning outdoors by the time I got to the indoor areas I was switching between my 105 and 50 and left my 18-250 in the bag.
07-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
wll
Veteran Member

The Last Lens I Ever Will Need...

Since when does "NEED" have to do with anything :-)

wll
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Banned

im going to echo some others here and tell you that a super zoom will act like a pump and you will still have problems with dust unless you can sterilize the inside of your lens and mirror box...
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Igilligan

Wow did I misread this one

I thought you must have got a Helios 44M...
07-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears that there is a Tamron $30 Rebate for that lens here at B&H.