Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
going on photowalk this Sat.

Hi all,

Im going on a photo walk this Sat. w/ my k20d was thinking of tryin something new ....a less is more kind of attitude ...i was thinking of taking only my da 40mm 2.8 lens with me for shooting in an small town i guess street photography..insted of bringing the 18-50 2.8 sigma and the 50-135* 2.8 ...im thinking this would be cool and fun to try and work with just the one lens ...anybody else out there do this from time to time ....i can tell you i just went to cedar key, Fl 2 weekends ago with my 2nd or backup k20d and got was having fun with the new 40mm and after 20 shots my new camera went crazy (had to return it for a replacement, another story for another thread) and i didn't have my other 20d with me..but it did seem like fun trying to use just one lens .....its a 2 hour photowalk....anyone have any thoughts?

07-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vincent, greetings from a former Floridian! I lived in Gainesville for almost 8 years, and Cedar Key was my favorite beach to go to.

I had only the FA 43/1.9 for quite a few months when I first got my DSLR, and I think that limitation provided a lesson in composition that you just can't get anywhere else. I quite frequently only go out with one lens now, although I do like to vary it up - the D-FA 100 macro one day, the FA 31 the next, etc. etc.

I actually took the D-FA 100 with me as my only lens to the Hoggetown Medieval Faire in Gainesville last year. You can see the pictures here if you want: Flickr: aravis121's stuff tagged with hoggetown

The key, I think, is to focus not on the photos you're missing, because it's easy to do that. "Ah, if only I had 18mm! If only I had 120mm!" Look for photos that you can take with your lens. They're definitely there, waiting to be taken. Once you use a prime lens a lot, you can start "seeing" in that focal length, and then this is a lot easier.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
07-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you by chance going to the Gainesville Photowalk downtown? If you are, then I look forward to meeting you. At this point, I'm planning on taking my K20 + Sigma 17-70, along with a monopod with new ballhead attached.

BTW, if you are going to Gainesville, I'm short brunette with short hair and black-rimmed glasses carrying the Pentax.

Heather
07-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
sorry im going to the one in Mt. Dora this year ...was thinking of going to the one in gainsville. I have never been in mt. Dora i thought i give that a try this year...nice to meet you guys

Last edited by vincentgargano; 07-16-2009 at 05:12 PM.
07-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Vincent, greetings from a former Floridian! I lived in Gainesville for almost 8 years, and Cedar Key was my favorite beach to go to.

I had only the FA 43/1.9 for quite a few months when I first got my DSLR, and I think that limitation provided a lesson in composition that you just can't get anywhere else. I quite frequently only go out with one lens now, although I do like to vary it up - the D-FA 100 macro one day, the FA 31 the next, etc. etc.

I actually took the D-FA 100 with me as my only lens to the Hoggetown Medieval Faire in Gainesville last year. You can see the pictures here if you want: Flickr: aravis121's stuff tagged with hoggetown

The key, I think, is to focus not on the photos you're missing, because it's easy to do that. "Ah, if only I had 18mm! If only I had 120mm!" Look for photos that you can take with your lens. They're definitely there, waiting to be taken. Once you use a prime lens a lot, you can start "seeing" in that focal length, and then this is a lot easier.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
thanks i was thinking the same thing about just trying to get the shots you can with the one lens...i think it will be fun...by the way your photos are very nice
07-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #6

Curiously, I had the same idea in mind. I decided to go to the photowalk armed with my DA35 ltd only.
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Curiously, I had the same idea in mind. I decided to go to the photowalk armed with my DA35 ltd only.
yeah im going to take only the 40mm it will give me more of a creative challenge
07-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

While I know my Sigma 17-70 can cover almost anything that I'll run into, I've given some thought to making it more of a challenge and carrying the DFA100 only. Being that the photowalk is downtown, that would make it a very interesting shoot.

Heather

07-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have been meaning to take my camera out with just one lens for a while. I figured that if I take a different lens each time I might get round to trying all those odd lenses that were impulse brought / scavenged etc. Somehow I always seem to go out with an excessively heavy bag full of glass though, and most of it doesn't come out of the bag. Traveling light is a very appealing idea, mabe have to find a random way of choosing a "lens of the day".
07-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #10

I recently went hiking and decided to only use my FA35. Got some great shots and it made me think of how better to take shots. I used perspective a lot better because of the lens and will definitely do it again.
07-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Am going on the walk today in Bridgetown West Australia. Was thinking of only taking the Sigma 10-20 and find the shots that suit that lens.
07-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #12

Original Poster
yeah im just taking the 40mm ..wish me luck ......i want to take 2 zooms with me but lugging all that stuff around for a few hours will get old and i wont enjoy myself as much ... with the heat this time of year in florida i dont want to sweat to death
07-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

My wife and I will be going to the walk in Kitchener, Ontario. Can't wait.

As for what to bring - unless we are doing a family shoot we always only bring one lens with us...

c[_]
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I'll be walking in Billings tomorrow. I was thinking of just taking the DA 35/2.8 Ltd, but I might take the A 24/2.8 and M 50/1.7 along as well. Of course there's the DA*16-50/2.8 and the......hmmm, maybe I will just take the DA 35/2.8.
07-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Vincent,

I took only my DA 40 to a street fair a couple of weeks ago, and it was great. So small and light, the focal length really worked well, and you obviously know the IQ will be great. I would find 28mm a bit too wide for this purpose, and 50mm a bit too long for this purpose. But I have found my 35mm and 40mm lenses to be excellent for one-lens walkabouts. I did not have my DA 35 Ltd. at the time, so that may have come with me instead, but the DA 35 does change the weight of the kit, so the DA 40 still might be preferable. Enjoy your day.