Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
amazing in every possible way...light, sharpness, detail colors, oof...MAN, this is a GREAT shot, congratulations!
Thank you...

07-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
This is one of the few lenses I have that I have not opened yet. There is a diagram of the optical arrangement here though:
Helios 44M-x 2/58 Lens
Which model do you have (the old ones are significantly differemt from the newer auto ones)? If I have the same one I may open it up just to see how its assembled.
Mine is the 44M, no extra number.
07-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter

...Which model do you have (the old ones are significantly differemt from the newer auto ones)...
This is so true. I am waiting delivery on a Helios 44M (no suffix) and was surprised when doing my research by how much variation there is within the Helios 44 series. A tremendous number of these lenses were made over a significant period of time. The optical design seems to be fairly consistent, but that is about all. There seems to be no end to the variations of coatings, diaphragm type, mounts, maker, number of iris blades, and even such basic niceties as presence/absence of a simple A/M switch.

If I get some time, I might sit down and work up a model/feature matrix for these lenses along with notes on what is know regarding years of manufacture and such.

Steve
07-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I do get (at times) noticeably different IQ out of my 44K-4 than my 44-M.

07-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter

The Helios came today! Woo! Hoo!

Here is a link to the new thread with my all-too-wordy comments on the event!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/66962-got-my-h...tml#post672687
Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
07-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am waiting delivery on a Helios 44M (no suffix) and was surprised when doing my research by how much variation there is within the Helios 44 series.
Steve
For comparison here is an old Helios 44-2 allong side a newer Helios 44M (no suffix). The 44-2 has a stop down aperture, with both the click stop and aperture rings on the front of the lens. The 44M has the aperture ring at the back of the lens, has an auto aperture and features an A/M switch. The 44-2 came of a Zenit B (I was given this as the camera is dead - torn fabric shutter). The 44M came of my parents Zenit EM I started photography with aged 10 (this is still working perfectly)!

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Mine is the 44M, no extra number.
Having dug the 44M out again (its not been used for a few years) I found that the aperture is getting a bit sticky so I will probably strip / clean it in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know how easy it is to dismantle (and more importantly to re-assemble).
Attached Images

07-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #22

I had an helios 44 M-7 (the last in the series) and the 44-3.

The 44 M-7 is more sharp, but for sharp lens I have the pancolar 1,8/50 that is better than the 44M-7. So, I sold this.

The MC 44-3 (more sharp than the 44 and 44-2) has different bokeh (the pancolar has very good one too) with "her" 8 blades and subtles tones.

Now my "normals lenses" are the pancolar and the Helios 44-3.
07-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's great to see so many people having fun with the different versions of this lens. Time for a complete overview of all versions?

07-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
It's great to see so many people having fun with the different versions of this lens. Time for a complete overview of all versions?
That was my thought as well. This puzzle is at least as deep as that which led to the Vivitar 28mm bestiary. Perhaps we could start a thread where everyone contributes what they know about their Helios 44. There should be a lot of different variants since the lens was in production for several decades.

The basic data set should contain:
  • Model designation
  • Maker (determined by mark on face of lens...we could provide a key)
  • Year of production (determined from serial number) or serial number itself
  • Type of aperture (manual, pre-set, auto, or open-metering auto)
  • Number of aperture blades
  • Minimum focus distance
  • Available information regarding coatings
  • Dimensions/weight (if available)
  • Comments/opinions/comparisons

Steve
07-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Having dug the 44M out again (its not been used for a few years) I found that the aperture is getting a bit sticky so I will probably strip / clean it in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know how easy it is to dismantle (and more importantly to re-assemble).
Excellent! Please consider photographs of the operation, too. You could make a "how-to" article. One that I personally would love to see, as I just bought a 44M that looks exactly like yours, but has a fairly "gummy-feeling" focus ring that probably needs to cleaned and lubed.
07-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter

...Having dug the 44M out again (its not been used for a few years) I found that the aperture is getting a bit sticky so I will probably strip / clean it in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know how easy it is to dismantle (and more importantly to re-assemble).
Yes! Yes!

Steve
07-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow, thats manual focusing skill right there!
07-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #28
Forum Member

Yesterday I dismantled an Zenit-E made 1974 With an Helios 44. Razer sharp
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello MattGunn,

Did you ever do this stripdown exercise? I have one that needs a bit of oil in the helicoid; and tips as to how to strip it would be great!

Thanks!
03-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Is it crazy to love a cheap old russian lens this much?
This lens fully deserves the love.

AFAIK - the design is based on CZ lens, though, so as much as I wanted I couldnt think of this lens as entirely Russian