Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Manual Lens HELP

I have a K100D. I am a NEW dSLR user, but I'm not a stranger to photography.
I just recently realized that Ricoh lenses fit on Pentax cameras, and I just happen to have a Ricoh lens.

There is no identifiable info on the lens, [it looks like the protective outer lens is missing]. If the manual is original it is from a Ricoh XR-S camera.

On the outer rings I see that the aperture range is from 2.8 to 16. I can't find any focal range info other than the dial turns from 2-30 feet to infinity. There is no 'A' anywhere on the ring.

I have the menu selection on my K100D to accept other lenses.

My question is, how do I use this lens??
I understand that I will need to manually focus, but where do the other settings come into play? Do I set it at Av? If so, what happens when I turn the aperture dial? How do I know when I've got perfect exposure?

I tried a few shots, and through trial and error ended up with some decent results, but I obviously can't use trial and error for every shot.

I have recently ordered a Pentax M 50mm 1.7. Will the above answers apply to this lens as well?

Thanks so much in advance if you can shed any light on this for me!! I appreciate it and I need all the help I can get.

05-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #2

Set the custom function to allow aperature ring control
Set the camera to M(manual) mode.
Select the desired aperture on the aperture ring
Press the AE-L button to stop the camera down for exposure. (You will not see what the aperture is in the LCD, but you will see the metering when you stop the lens down).

Take your shot.

This will apply to the M 50 f/1.7 as well, yes.
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Aneopa

Just a thing more. Be careful with Ricoh lens. sometimes they get stucked at the camera...

More in:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=66650&forum_id=80
05-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your input so far. As per the link, looks like I'm okay with this particular Ricoh lens.
I've tried the steps you suggest and I'm getting lousy results. Mostly overexposed photos, some soft focus [could be my eyes!] and such. Am I missing a step perhaps? Are these the only procedures I need to take. I'm just not getting it!

05-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #5

Ricoh lenses

Before you mount the lens on the camera check for a contact pin on the lens mount. This pin is for ricoh cameras and will jam the lens on pentax cameras.
you may damage the contacts on your camera if the lens get stuck. Take a small screwdriver and lift the mounting plate off the lens and remove the pin. There is probably a small diode behind the pin. replace the mounting plate and you should be good to go. Go to steve's forums and there are threads there explaining the whole procedure.

TedP
05-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The ricoh lens I have (a Tokina 28mm) had a very wide bayonet, but I used a few houshold tools to remedy that, and have taken some great shots. I have to watch out for lens flare, but it's great, and I got it dirt cheap.

I don't know about others, but with a manual lenses, I try to take a few shots in the light I will be shooting in to get my settings right. Then make small adjustments as I go. Everything is manual, and even my white balance must be manually set. The good thing about these lenses is that the aperture is on the lens near my left hand, and the wheel (on the DS) controls my shutter speed. I've been getting faster at this, and it's a lot of fun when it works right.