Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Solace for those with LBA

Like many of you, I suffer from LBA (currently in remission - but that's temporary) - an undeniably expensive afflliction. Here I offer at least some solace for my fellow sufferers. The attached photo of an area near the head of the mainsail of a 30-ft sailboat shows - in the right-hand upper corner - a short section of a 34-ft strip of high-density, highly lubricious polyethylene filled with carbon black (probably 2 or 3 bucks worth of compounded thermoplastic). You can also see a little black dingus holding the sail to the track, four of which are present in the system; the purpose of this stuff - and it does work - is to make raisng and dropping the mainsail easier on old geezers like me.

Now here is the balm: for the price of this gadget you can buy a K10D, DA 50-200, and DA 16-45 and have beer money left over. Makes it seem like indulging in LBA is - as Buckley would say - "effecting an economy". And yeah, I'm complainin' not braggin'.

Jer

05-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #2

DARN! And I wanted to take up sailing with the Missus! Guess I'll have to satisfy my LBA instead! (Also, currently in remission, but subject to a sudden flair up depending on financial situations, the whims of the Missus and the phases of the moon, plus pending releases of new Pentax-mount lenses!)
Rob W
05-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Ed in GA

I had a good friend many years ago who owned and rather large sailboat which was berthed down in Kemah.

After talking with him about the coast of owning, and operating, a sailboat, I found the the Axiom "Sailboat. A hole in the water surrounded by wood, into which one throws a great deal of Money" to be quite true.

LBA is nothing in comparison.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 05-07-2007 at 08:18 AM.
05-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Having owned a sailboat that was docked in Long Island Sound, I can appreciate your comments. Owning a boat made not only photography look cheap, but also made some of my wife's buying addictions look tame.
Of course, I had a friend that was restoring an old wooden boat; that's a whole other level of insanity

05-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Like many of you, I suffer from LBA (currently in remission - but that's temporary) - an undeniably expensive afflliction. Here I offer at least some solace for my fellow sufferers. The attached photo of an area near the head of the mainsail of a 30-ft sailboat shows - in the right-hand upper corner - a short section of a 34-ft strip of high-density, highly lubricious polyethylene filled with carbon black (probably 2 or 3 bucks worth of compounded thermoplastic). You can also see a little black dingus holding the sail to the track, four of which are present in the system; the purpose of this stuff - and it does work - is to make raisng and dropping the mainsail easier on old geezers like me.

*snipped photo*

Now here is the balm: for the price of this gadget you can buy a K10D, DA 50-200, and DA 16-45 and have beer money left over. Makes it seem like indulging in LBA is - as Buckley would say - "effecting an economy". And yeah, I'm complainin' not braggin'.

Jer
Hey Jer, now you know why I'm "between vessels" And to PeterAM, what makes you think restoring old wood boats isn't as expensive? Not only that but they're more work and they kinda want to sink, some of them. Tho I do have to say that I spent many an exqusite weekend sailing around Long Island Sound, and one memorable summer sailing up and back to Maine.

NaCl(former ownee of a 1957 Nordic Folkboat ...and yes that is NOT a typo the boat owned me)H2O
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Salty:

Guess my post wasn't clear. My friends restoration of his boat made ownership of a glass boat look cheap. Besides the money part, you also had to be a total obsessive madman to undertake the venture. His boat was an early 1900's one design racer/day sailer.One of my fondest memories of that boat was routing a channel in the wooden mast (slightly curved) to take the wires for running lights. I'm pretty sure that the mast was at least 40-50 feet long and definitely not replaceable (unless you wanted to make another one).
The boat was beautiful to look at and very hard to sail. He also got divorced as part of the restoration.
Cameras are easy.
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

And to think I had apprehensions last night about warning my wife the delivery van would be around this evening bringing me a $8 camera I won at auction.......So long as everything is relative, the whole world is still kin.
05-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
See, I've just given you guiltless LBA (you'll have LBA anyway, but it might as well be guiltless). I can't imagine a wooden boat - a glass one is strain enough (but I love it).

NaClH20 - hey buddy you owened a folkboat, a classic (like an M 50/1.2)? Was it wood?

Seriously, photography and sailing are wonderfully complementary hobbies - and both can be expensive. But, hey, we only live once.

Jer

05-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
See, I've just given you guiltless LBA (you'll have LBA anyway, but it might as well be guiltless). I can't imagine a wooden boat - a glass one is strain enough (but I love it).

NaClH20 - hey buddy you owened a folkboat, a classic (like an M 50/1.2)? Was it wood?

Seriously, photography and sailing are wonderfully complementary hobbies - and both can be expensive. But, hey, we only live once.

Jer
Hey Jer yep she was wood and every inch a classic. Tho a bit more on the upkeep than a M50/1.2 IIRC she was fir on oak frames. Was best on a beam reach. Didn't point very well because of the full keel, but it certainly made it easier to handle her down wind. She had a bit of a weather helm, but if you reefed the main that would help it some. Name of Irresolute. Great gunkholing boat.

NaCl(If I can remember calking the damn seams, it makes it easier not to go out and get another one)H2O
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hey Jer yep she was wood and every inch a classic. Tho a bit more on the upkeep than a M50/1.2 IIRC she was fir on oak frames. Was best on a beam reach. Didn't point very well because of the full keel, but it certainly made it easier to handle her down wind. She had a bit of a weather helm, but if you reefed the main that would help it some. Name of Irresolute. Great gunkholing boat.

NaCl(If I can remember calking the damn seams, it makes it easier not to go out and get another one)H2O
Hey, Buddy, they make GRP versions now - I think its time for you to go shopping and photograph the entire process for the rest of us. An M 50/1.2 and a folkboat: riches beyond compare! Think of the detail shots you could get with your terrific Tamron.

Jer