Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

p30 & helios 44m metering issue....

hi, i have an p30 with a genuine pentax m42 adapter & helios 44m... for some reason in manual mode no matter what you set the f-stop to it doesn't affect relative shutter speed that is showing (metering wise) in the viewfinder.

i don't have any k mount lenses to test (but i did have & i'm sure the metering was just fine).... i was wondering if anybody thinks this is a adapter problem or the helios?

i have just bought a program A body (which will arrive tomorrow) so maybe i will put the adapter on this body to double check...... or i am doing something stupidly wrong here? :P

07-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Igilligan

The 44M has a A/M switch. On my K20, if the switch is in A the lens is wide open no matter what the Ap is set to. In M it goes to what ever you set the aperture to. So if I forget and it is in A mode the shutter speed stays the same since the lens is always wide open.

I tend to focus with the switch on A, then meter on M

I dont know if it works the same on the P30 but it is worth a shot...
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The 44M has a A/M switch. On my K20, if the switch is in A the lens is wide open no matter what the Ap is set to. In M it goes to what ever you set the aperture to. So if I forget and it is in A mode the shutter speed stays the same since the lens is always wide open.

I tend to focus with the switch on A, then meter on M

I dont know if it works the same on the P30 but it is worth a shot...
o.k.... i have just realized what the problem is.... as per this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/40719-helios-44-m-first-test-shots.html

mine too has no A/M switch, but if i hold the pin down manually, then yes, the aperture blades work, so essentially it's stuck wide open at f2.

does anyone have any workarounds for keeping the pin stuck down because when you screw the lens onto the mount nothing on the camera body/mount holds that pin down in place.

cheers!
07-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by echospace Quote
o.k.... i have just realized what the problem is.... as per this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/40719-helios-44-m-first-test-shots.html

mine too has no A/M switch, but if i hold the pin down manually, then yes, the aperture blades work, so essentially it's stuck wide open at f2.

does anyone have any workarounds for keeping the pin stuck down because when you screw the lens onto the mount nothing on the camera body/mount holds that pin down in place.

cheers!
Yep, it's not difficult. Unscrew the back of the lens and be carefull not to loose the iron bullet of the aperture ring [EDIT: this is probably no problem with the Helios]. Then cut off a 2mm piece of electric wire insolation, put it over the pin, and put the back of the lens back in place. There must be a thread with pictures somewhere around, I will look it up for you.

Last edited by Rense; 07-19-2009 at 07:21 AM.
07-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here it is....
07-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And if French is not a problem, also here.... (but the pictures speak for themselves)
07-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
And if French is not a problem, also here.... (but the pictures speak for themselves)
thank you so much!!!!! perfect!!!!!!