Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 70-200 2.8 Sticky Linkage

Does anyone have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 where the aperture linkage sticks? I got mine about a week ago and didn't really get to use it until yesterday and within 45 minutes of shooting, I had to dismount the lens and unstick it around 8-9 times. I really like the optics, but I don't want to return it and get another only to for it to do it again beyond my return period. I've heard warranty work can take 2-3 months. I've also considered the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and the Pentax 50-135 2.8. Anyone have any suggestions? BTW- will either the Sigma or Pentax work with my Kenko 1.5 TC if it has the contacts in it?

Thanks-
Brian

07-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
now this is beggining to scare me...
I've had my for a few weeks, so far so good (touch the wood). It absolved wedding and long nature walk without problems. But since I bought it, you are perhaps 4th member to report this same problem.

07-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seemed to happen after I did a 3 bracket shot. And now I can make it happen 100% taking a portrait shot. Landscape shots are a crap shoot, but seems to happen more when I use the DOF Preview. It's a real pain in the ass. I'm calling Monday for a RA and I think I'm going to try the Sigma 70-200. I wish I had a few extra Benjamins to get the 60-250, but that won't be anytime soon.
07-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron 70-200

I have had two copies of this lens one decentered or something and the other with sticky aperture blades. It looks like this lens has some problems because other members of the forum also have had the same problem. When you get a good one it is very good,give the lens another year or so to get the bugs out. Hopefully this will happen sooner than later, my lenses were both bought in Canada if that makes any difference. I would just send it back for warranty it is not something you can fix good luck with the lens.

07-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't used a Tamron since a MF Canon lens I had in the 90's. I just never liked the build quality of their AF lenses, and I've heard of other quality control issues with some of their other lenses over the years. I'd go with the Sigma.
07-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I haven't used a Tamron since a MF Canon lens I had in the 90's. I just never liked the build quality of their AF lenses, and I've heard of other quality control issues with some of their other lenses over the years. I'd go with the Sigma.
frankly, Sigma's reputation for QC is even worse then Tamron's...
07-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hi i just purchased this lens,

How is the best way to do a controlled test to ensure it is a good copy (sharp, centrered etc)

It is my most expensive lens to date and i want to be sure it has no issues, i have used it a bit so far and some images seem out of focus even though i did focus accurately at the time, not sure if it's me or the lens!

07-20-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

hi happyant id be happy to test out this lens for you as im local hehe

i followed THIS GUIDE to test my focus - i printed the chart and taped it to a box, this made it easy to keep flat and place it in the approriate position
07-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
Forum Member

Thanks mate

Actually i don't live in Brisbane any more, in NNSW now near the border, i shall update my profile!
07-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

thats ok! my soon to be father in law just moved into a place at Kirra which we fully intend to make much use of while he is working OS. So still local. you cant get out of it that easy! haha
07-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

I am in the hinterland, in the rainforest, so lush here!

Too bad my printer is out of black ink, i will have to get some before i can do the lens test
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
frankly, Sigma's reputation for QC is even worse then Tamron's...
Even though that may be true, I just sent back the Tamron for the Sigma. From what I've read, the quality of the Sigma should apparent right out of the box (focusing issues and/or crap inside the lens). Getting another Tamron worries me that everything could be fine for months and then the same thing happen again. My luck, it would be when I would really need it. I guess what I'm saying is - I'm more afraid of what I can't see as opposed to what I can. We'll see how it goes....
07-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

another victim here.....
I really like the lens but today while mucking about in my back garden, and trying my MC7 2x TC I noticed suddenly I was getting overexposed shots. I took the lens off and the lever stayed in wide open position, little flick by finger and it was back to normal, after another 10mins the same happened again.
I'm going to return it....
I shame I really liked this lens, but I'm not running a risk having to check every signle shot for exposure.
I hope I'll be able to return it, since I bought it used, but there is 6 months warranty from the shop, so it should be OK.

BR
good luck to other owners,
Peter
07-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #14
Forum Member

Shame to hear about that.. i have not gotten it with mine, yet! hopefully i won't

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
hi happyant id be happy to test out this lens for you as im local hehe

i followed THIS GUIDE to test my focus - i printed the chart and taped it to a box, this made it easy to keep flat and place it in the approriate position

I printed a test chart, here are the results, does it look okay? seems good to me but would be good to get a second opinion as well

Focus Test Chart Tamron 70-200 2.8 - a set on Flickr
07-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Axl, I'm sorry to hear that. It's a real shame that such a great optical lens can be plagued by what would seem like something trivial as far as lens design goes. I had really thought long and hard about trying another, but there are just too many people having the same problem. I signed up for a local Tamron workshop in September, but it looks like I'll be showing up with all Sigma lenses. I'm kind of hoping they ask me why.

-Brian