Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Fa* 28-70 f2.8 is sold so cheap!!

I really regreted for not buying this lens at all!! Out of my surprise, the lens is sold for so cheap!

eBay Australia: SMC PENTAX FA* 28-70mm f2.8 AL/MZ/*ist D/K10D/REFURB (item 280110142993, end time 07-May-07 10:01:01 AEST)

Only costing 800 US dollars!! Is this the end of Fa* lenses?

I would assume that the focal range is not really in favour for most people. But I am really still surprised that this lens was sold less than half of its original price from only few months ago.

I wished I could pick up that bargains too.

Fa* 85 f1.4 was also sold for less 830 US dollars in the last auction (near new); that is at least 30% cheaper than the price I had acquired such lens!

05-07-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I would assume that the focal range is not really in favour for most people.
I reckon it'd be great for indoor sports.
05-07-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
I reckon it'd be great for indoor sports.
Then you would have to be able to take photos at court side of indoor sports. Maybe Tamron counterpart will do a good job too
05-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #4

For one, that eBay one is a Refurb. And the DA*'s are around the corner. Not rocket science there.

05-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I really regreted for not buying this lens at all!! Out of my surprise, the lens is sold for so cheap!

eBay Australia: SMC PENTAX FA* 28-70mm f2.8 AL/MZ/*ist D/K10D/REFURB (item 280110142993, end time 07-May-07 10:01:01 AEST)

Only costing 800 US dollars!! Is this the end of Fa* lenses?

I would assume that the focal range is not really in favour for most people. But I am really still surprised that this lens was sold less than half of its original price from only few months ago.

I wished I could pick up that bargains too.

Fa* 85 f1.4 was also sold for less 830 US dollars in the last auction (near new); that is at least 30% cheaper than the price I had acquired such lens!
Wow, that is surprising! I was actually about to bid due to the low price...

They usually go for around $1400, too! In fact, I saw one last week that did!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Wow, that is surprising! I was actually about to bid due to the low price...

They usually go for around $1400, too! In fact, I saw one last week that did!
I know!! That auction only finishes 2 days prior to this sale and the price difference is huge!

The lens looked almost brand new and I trust Henry better than anyone in the ebay.

I would have made a bidding if I knew this was going to be the price!

05-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #7

I ask this with great trepidation

Is this lens much superior to the Tamron 28-75/2.8? I hardly use that lens because I normally shoot only with primes, but I am loath to sell it because I anticipate times when I will require a zoom in that range of focal lengths and it IS a very good performer.
05-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
I ask this with great trepidation

Is this lens much superior to the Tamron 28-75/2.8? I hardly use that lens because I normally shoot only with primes, but I am loath to sell it because I anticipate times when I will require a zoom in that range of focal lengths and it IS a very good performer.
I relpy with trepidation. I owned both the FA* 28-70 f2.8 and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I finally sold the the FA* (which I had used for 2+ years before buying the Tamron and comparing). I found my version of the Tamron to be every bit as good as the FA* and much lighter in weight. Hence I sold the FA * to fund prime lens LBA.
Will my Tamron hold its value like the FA*, which I sold for more than I paid? No.
Is the Tamron as well built? Again probably not.
But I find the combination of weight, price and image quality a worthwhile trade-off. Of course, the Tamron doesn't elicit the same reaction from others as the FA*. When I mounted the FA* on the camera, people took notice; it is a beautiful lens that looks as impressive as the photos it takes.
In summary, I would keep the Tamron; I did and do not regret it.

05-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #9

Hi Erl,

I entirely agree with you on the points reg. price and build.

Most of my work is either street in nature or done with the full knowledge of the subjects (animate or inanimate.) A large, impressive lens would, personally, not do much good.

The Tamron's out-of-focus rendering is not the greatest. It is good (like the FA 35) but not superlative as, say, the FA 77. I wonder if the FA* 28-70 is better in that regard.

I can see that being somewhat useful for the very particular bokeh-enthusiast. Otherwise, the Tamron seems a more practical, (almost) equally capable and much cheaper alternative.
05-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
MnR

Hi,

I for one can not afford either the Tamron or the Pentax 28-70mm 2.8. So I went for the next best thing the Pentax 28-70mm f4. It is a suprising light weight lens that performs well. And for the price there is not much that can match it.

Rudy
05-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #11

Hi, Erl. I, too, had the Tamron 28-75/2.8 but decided to sell it after I got the FA* 28-70/2.8 because I thought the Tamron was a little too contrasty. The out-of-focus was not as pleasing to me. But I will also say that I wish I kept the Tamron because of all the reasons you stated and the fact that my FA* spent some time back at Pentax because of a faulty aperture. :-(

I would say that the Tamron is a 8.5/10 and the Pentax is a 9/10, because I thought the Tamron was very easy to shoot with but I preferred the image quality of the Pentax more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
I relpy with trepidation. I owned both the FA* 28-70 f2.8 and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I finally sold the the FA* (which I had used for 2+ years before buying the Tamron and comparing). I found my version of the Tamron to be every bit as good as the FA* and much lighter in weight. Hence I sold the FA * to fund prime lens LBA.
Will my Tamron hold its value like the FA*, which I sold for more than I paid? No.
Is the Tamron as well built? Again probably not.
But I find the combination of weight, price and image quality a worthwhile trade-off. Of course, the Tamron doesn't elicit the same reaction from others as the FA*. When I mounted the FA* on the camera, people took notice; it is a beautiful lens that looks as impressive as the photos it takes.
In summary, I would keep the Tamron; I did and do not regret it.
05-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Forum Member

Price sounds fair.