Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
See how lenses are made cradle to the shelf...

I found a set of video's on YouTube a while back. They cover glass making pretty much from the dirt to the shelf. After watching them I found a better appreciation for why sometimes there are flaky batches of lens models or even why some designs are more or less prone to issues.

The video's are Canon marketing stuff, BUT, they are through and almost any maker would have to use essentially the same process. From the lowest end to the best of breed glass, it's all done the same way.

Here are the video links (if you search they can be found in Japanese as well as English):

YouTube - brecklundin's Channel

That is my playlist for the video's. Keep an eye on YouTube because sometimes it seems to want to play the video's out of sequence.

Othwerwise hope this is fun for folks...

07-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old news I'm afraid. This was posted quite awhile back.
Quality is better on the original Canon site.
07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I found a set of video's on YouTube a while back. They cover glass making pretty much from the dirt to the shelf. After watching them I found a better appreciation for why sometimes there are flaky batches of lens models or even why some designs are more or less prone to issues.

The video's are Canon marketing stuff, BUT, they are through and almost any maker would have to use essentially the same process. From the lowest end to the best of breed glass, it's all done the same way.

Here are the video links (if you search they can be found in Japanese as well as English):

YouTube - brecklundin's Channel

That is my playlist for the video's. Keep an eye on YouTube because sometimes it seems to want to play the video's out of sequence.

Othwerwise hope this is fun for folks...
This was posted before (as said before)

It really is interesting how they USE to make lenses and how they do it now. A lot of it is not machine operated.
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Old news I'm afraid. This was posted quite awhile back.
Quality is better on the original Canon site.
then ignore the post...feel free to not waste your time here. But also consider that YOU are not the ONLY user on the site and to many it WILL BE NEW...

still thanks for being so very helpful for other users in your comments. I am sure it is appreciated by all.

07-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
This was posted before (as said before)

It really is interesting how they USE to make lenses and how they do it now. A lot of it is not machine operated.
Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP I found these a few months back...I searched here and found no reference to them...so thought I would share them in case of newer users who might not have run into them before. I swear one day someone will create a search for vBulletin that actually works. But, hey it has been that way since it first came out. And for the price, it's a bargain no matter what.

It is fascinating that so much of the process is labor intensive. If someone are not familiar with glass making in general, they are usually surprised to learn how many ingredients are used in a given glass formula. Also just how much energy is needed to make a single lens. Glass formulas are as guarded a secret as perfume (another rather interesting industry that is easily overlooked, lots of O-Chem involved there).

Ever glass maker has their own formula. interesting also is in the old days, if the workers in a glass factory wanted to leave early, it was not unheard of to simply toss a penny into the molten glass...a single penny has enough copper and other metals to ruin a batch of glass in terms of color and if it were for lenses, optical purity.

Been interested in glass making for over 40-years now, as part of collecting antiques. Yet I really never appreciated the whole thing until I learned more chemistry and really researched the history and how it got made.

Lots of fun info in there for sure...
07-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP I found these a few months back...I searched here and found no reference to them...so thought I would share them in case of newer users who might not have run into them before. I swear one day someone will create a search for vBulletin that actually works. But, hey it has been that way since it first came out. And for the price, it's a bargain no matter what.

It is fascinating that so much of the process is labor intensive. If someone are not familiar with glass making in general, they are usually surprised to learn how many ingredients are used in a given glass formula. Also just how much energy is needed to make a single lens. Glass formulas are as guarded a secret as perfume (another rather interesting industry that is easily overlooked, lots of O-Chem involved there).

Ever glass maker has their own formula. interesting also is in the old days, if the workers in a glass factory wanted to leave early, it was not unheard of to simply toss a penny into the molten glass...a single penny has enough copper and other metals to ruin a batch of glass in terms of color and if it were for lenses, optical purity.

Been interested in glass making for over 40-years now, as part of collecting antiques. Yet I really never appreciated the whole thing until I learned more chemistry and really researched the history and how it got made.

Lots of fun info in there for sure...
But compared to back in the day, a lot is machine done, which is a good thing. I'm sure handling the furnace and pouring the furnace into a sheet isn't safe
I will emphasize more tomorrow.
07-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

then ignore the post...feel free to not waste your time here. But also consider that YOU are not the ONLY user on the site and to many it WILL BE NEW...

still thanks for being so very helpful for other users in your comments. I am sure it is appreciated by all.
Thanks for your... oh so polite reply.
If you had bothered to do a simple search, you would have found that this was posted at least twice previously on this forum.
So before you go and reinvent the wheel and tell the whole world about it, take some time to do a simple search first.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42095-how-lenses-made.html