Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
See how lenses are made cradle to the shelf...

I found a set of video's on YouTube a while back. They cover glass making pretty much from the dirt to the shelf. After watching them I found a better appreciation for why sometimes there are flaky batches of lens models or even why some designs are more or less prone to issues.

The video's are Canon marketing stuff, BUT, they are through and almost any maker would have to use essentially the same process. From the lowest end to the best of breed glass, it's all done the same way.

Here are the video links (if you search they can be found in Japanese as well as English):

YouTube - brecklundin's Channel

That is my playlist for the video's. Keep an eye on YouTube because sometimes it seems to want to play the video's out of sequence.

Othwerwise hope this is fun for folks...

07-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Old news I'm afraid. This was posted quite awhile back.
Quality is better on the original Canon site.
07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member
GLXLR's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I found a set of video's on YouTube a while back. They cover glass making pretty much from the dirt to the shelf. After watching them I found a better appreciation for why sometimes there are flaky batches of lens models or even why some designs are more or less prone to issues.

The video's are Canon marketing stuff, BUT, they are through and almost any maker would have to use essentially the same process. From the lowest end to the best of breed glass, it's all done the same way.

Here are the video links (if you search they can be found in Japanese as well as English):

YouTube - brecklundin's Channel

That is my playlist for the video's. Keep an eye on YouTube because sometimes it seems to want to play the video's out of sequence.

Othwerwise hope this is fun for folks...
This was posted before (as said before)

It really is interesting how they USE to make lenses and how they do it now. A lot of it is not machine operated.
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Old news I'm afraid. This was posted quite awhile back.
Quality is better on the original Canon site.
then ignore the post...feel free to not waste your time here. But also consider that YOU are not the ONLY user on the site and to many it WILL BE NEW...

still thanks for being so very helpful for other users in your comments. I am sure it is appreciated by all.

07-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
This was posted before (as said before)

It really is interesting how they USE to make lenses and how they do it now. A lot of it is not machine operated.
Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP I found these a few months back...I searched here and found no reference to them...so thought I would share them in case of newer users who might not have run into them before. I swear one day someone will create a search for vBulletin that actually works. But, hey it has been that way since it first came out. And for the price, it's a bargain no matter what.

It is fascinating that so much of the process is labor intensive. If someone are not familiar with glass making in general, they are usually surprised to learn how many ingredients are used in a given glass formula. Also just how much energy is needed to make a single lens. Glass formulas are as guarded a secret as perfume (another rather interesting industry that is easily overlooked, lots of O-Chem involved there).

Ever glass maker has their own formula. interesting also is in the old days, if the workers in a glass factory wanted to leave early, it was not unheard of to simply toss a penny into the molten glass...a single penny has enough copper and other metals to ruin a batch of glass in terms of color and if it were for lenses, optical purity.

Been interested in glass making for over 40-years now, as part of collecting antiques. Yet I really never appreciated the whole thing until I learned more chemistry and really researched the history and how it got made.

Lots of fun info in there for sure...
07-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member
GLXLR's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP I found these a few months back...I searched here and found no reference to them...so thought I would share them in case of newer users who might not have run into them before. I swear one day someone will create a search for vBulletin that actually works. But, hey it has been that way since it first came out. And for the price, it's a bargain no matter what.

It is fascinating that so much of the process is labor intensive. If someone are not familiar with glass making in general, they are usually surprised to learn how many ingredients are used in a given glass formula. Also just how much energy is needed to make a single lens. Glass formulas are as guarded a secret as perfume (another rather interesting industry that is easily overlooked, lots of O-Chem involved there).

Ever glass maker has their own formula. interesting also is in the old days, if the workers in a glass factory wanted to leave early, it was not unheard of to simply toss a penny into the molten glass...a single penny has enough copper and other metals to ruin a batch of glass in terms of color and if it were for lenses, optical purity.

Been interested in glass making for over 40-years now, as part of collecting antiques. Yet I really never appreciated the whole thing until I learned more chemistry and really researched the history and how it got made.

Lots of fun info in there for sure...
But compared to back in the day, a lot is machine done, which is a good thing. I'm sure handling the furnace and pouring the furnace into a sheet isn't safe
I will emphasize more tomorrow.
07-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
then ignore the post...feel free to not waste your time here. But also consider that YOU are not the ONLY user on the site and to many it WILL BE NEW...

still thanks for being so very helpful for other users in your comments. I am sure it is appreciated by all.
Thanks for your... oh so polite reply.
If you had bothered to do a simple search, you would have found that this was posted at least twice previously on this forum.
So before you go and reinvent the wheel and tell the whole world about it, take some time to do a simple search first.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42095-how-lenses-made.html
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
glass, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature A set from Tasmania's Cradle Mountain + recent Yaro Post Your Photos! 6 08-11-2010 01:23 AM
How the lenses are made! jjdgti Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 05-30-2009 09:08 AM
Winter Ice Shelf navcom Post Your Photos! 8 03-17-2009 01:37 PM
Manual Lenses Made Me Do It. Zewrak Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 06-18-2008 09:50 AM
A sunset, or as close as I can get to one! (and a shelf) cputeq Post Your Photos! 3 06-08-2008 06:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top