Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ Blue: I saw the lens last summer and was under the impression that it had been at the shop for quite a while. I think the marked price was something like $150 or $200 CAD (which I would have considered in good shape). The owner said he'd negotiate down from that considering the condition but I didn't push the issue because it looked like the damage would show up in pictures with the right type of lighting. I'd guess it had a run in with some concrete or a rock at some point.

07-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@: Salty,

Hey Buddy, what's money? - you only live once. Although when a sailboat jumps in your bag, you really feel it - as you know. I'm thinking of a new, fiberglass Folkboat that would look so good with you at the helm while I pass beer up the companionway . . . . .

Jer
07-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
@: Salty,

Hey Buddy, what's money? - you only live once. Although when a sailboat jumps in your bag, you really feel it - as you know. I'm thinking of a new, fiberglass Folkboat that would look so good with you at the helm while I pass beer up the companionway . . . . .

Jer
Hey Jer, that sure sound like a very good idea! And I can afford it. Unfortunately, using all my retirement funds at 60 to buy a boat doesn't quite seem so romantic, and neither does mopping floors at micky d's at 70. But I buy my lotto tix every day....

NaCl(and when I hit, it will be a Hinckley 43 with an aesthetically pleasing crew)H2O
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@ kuuan - Andreas
I've actually got both now. Was too busy today to get out and shoot, and changing back and forth from K to M42 sounds like a nightmare but I'll see what I can do. I actually got the Tak because while the FA 35 is very sharp, I'm not at all happy with it's bokeh. The shots I've seen over on the Takumar Club thread, indicate that the bokeh of the Tak will be much better. That's the plan anyway. I'll probably still keep both because switching between mounts isn't very practical.

NaCl(one of these days soon)H2O

07-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
@ kuuan - Andreas
I've actually got both now. Was too busy today to get out and shoot, and changing back and forth from K to M42 sounds like a nightmare but I'll see what I can do. I actually got the Tak because while the FA 35 is very sharp, I'm not at all happy with it's bokeh. The shots I've seen over on the Takumar Club thread, indicate that the bokeh of the Tak will be much better. That's the plan anyway. I'll probably still keep both because switching between mounts isn't very practical.

NaCl(one of these days soon)H2O
thank you very much NaCl, this gives me an idea.

I so far ( have my first dSLR, a *istDs only since just over a year ) I have been using almost only old glass, but I did get attracted to the FA 35/2 but if it's bokeh is not so great I better drop the idea, quality of oof rendering is very important to me.

Had posted this photo in the Takumar thread, but I think this one shows quite well that the S-M-C Takumar 35/2 does quite well in this respect, even though, due to little light, this was either wide open or at f2.8 where it should not be at it's best: ( and ISO 800 )

curious if you will confirm the difference of bokeh once you will have more photos taken with both.

regards,
kuuan - andreas
07-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You might remember this bee shot I got last year, Salty.

It was taken with my 35mm, on a 2x tc... with the glass removed.
Sorry I haven't the faintest idea what f-stop I was using

As for the yellowing. If you want to clear the glass wrap tinfoil over it leaving the front elements bare.
Then set it into a window. The UV rays will clear the elements.
My windows all facing North still worked. My lens cleared up in 2 weeks or so, with only about 10 minutes of direct sunlight a day.
It still appears to have a little yellowing, but the images can be breathtaking.
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
OK, I needed to go downtown today to pick up a few books at the Union Square Barnes and Noble. Nice store, over the years I've probably singlehandedly paid their rent for at least a year. For you book lovers out there here's a shot:

I went and got what I needed, 3 books for birthday present and one book for self for being a good boy and remembering birthday. :smug:
Adorama is only a few blocks away and since I needed a M42 rear lens cap, some swabs, and a few other minor items, (camera strap, lens pen etc) So I decided to mosey over to 18th and 6th. So I get there and am talking to one of the sales reps, Larry by name. I'm not sure, but I think I've paid for college tuition for several of Larry's kids, needless to say he's happy to see me. We chat a while, the K-7 is selling well, but they don't have one on display, probably a good thing as someone would have had to clean my drool off it. He's got the neck strap, even recommends a cheaper one, the swabs, but unfortunately no M42 rear lens cap, but a good deal on the K mount ones, I get a couple because I'm always losing them. So I'm about to leave and Larry casually mentions that since I'm into screw mount I might be interested in a 35mm F2.0. I was going to say no, but the small little thing looked so cute and lonely resting on the counter. When I wasn't looking it jumped in the bag too. So natch I had to get a hood for it, and a lens case. I planned to leave with a $150 or so hole in my wallet, but it ended up considerably more than that.
AND IT'S ALL ADORAMA'S FAULT...AND THAT STUPID TAKUMAR CLUB!

NaCl(anyone know some good recipes for peanut butter?)H2O
Welcome to my world and what ALL OF YOUR HERE did to me,,,making me sell my canon gear, buy a K20D, plan on adding a K7, buy 2 of the 3 FA Silver Limited's, a DA* 50-135, and am now trying to decide on my longer lenses as we type...this place is EVIL...so bruddah...I hear ya!! But as far as I am concerned it is YOUR FAULT as part of this collective!! What goes around comes around you deserve to be caught in Adorama's siren call!!

07-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's not "bad" it's just harder now

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
So you finally decided to buy some good lenses. This is a bad thing?
Used to be all I had to worry about on the LBA front was Pentax 31mm ltd vs DA *55 vs Sigma's bigma vs, the Tamron 17-50 etc etc. Now I've got all those wonderful Taks to lust after also! It's too much I tell ya! Too much!

NaCl(and visions of Takumars danced in his head)H2O

01-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Site Supporter

What, how come no pic of Adorama's storefront? And B&H's while your at it! There were a lot of big camera stores in Manhattan when I went to NYI in 1969 (Yikes!). Is it the same now? I was hankering for a Super Graphic at the time. That was my go to rig when I was in the USAF. Later on I picked up a used Leica M2 with a 50mm Summicron for $200 at a hock shop in Salt Lake City!