Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama is dangerous! And so is the Takumar Club!

OK, I needed to go downtown today to pick up a few books at the Union Square Barnes and Noble. Nice store, over the years I've probably singlehandedly paid their rent for at least a year. For you book lovers out there here's a shot:

I went and got what I needed, 3 books for birthday present and one book for self for being a good boy and remembering birthday. :smug:
Adorama is only a few blocks away and since I needed a M42 rear lens cap, some swabs, and a few other minor items, (camera strap, lens pen etc) So I decided to mosey over to 18th and 6th. So I get there and am talking to one of the sales reps, Larry by name. I'm not sure, but I think I've paid for college tuition for several of Larry's kids, needless to say he's happy to see me. We chat a while, the K-7 is selling well, but they don't have one on display, probably a good thing as someone would have had to clean my drool off it. He's got the neck strap, even recommends a cheaper one, the swabs, but unfortunately no M42 rear lens cap, but a good deal on the K mount ones, I get a couple because I'm always losing them. So I'm about to leave and Larry casually mentions that since I'm into screw mount I might be interested in a 35mm F2.0. I was going to say no, but the small little thing looked so cute and lonely resting on the counter. When I wasn't looking it jumped in the bag too. So natch I had to get a hood for it, and a lens case. I planned to leave with a $150 or so hole in my wallet, but it ended up considerably more than that.
AND IT'S ALL ADORAMA'S FAULT...AND THAT STUPID TAKUMAR CLUB!

NaCl(anyone know some good recipes for peanut butter?)H2O

07-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It must be nice living in a city with Adorama and B&H Photo near by.
The rest of us just get to drool online at the little pictures!!
Maybe it's a good thing I'm not close, as I'd have to take detours to avoid these places.

Anyways enjoy your new lens and say hi to Larry!
07-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tak 35/2, eh?

I saw one of those on CL, but I'm too lazy to make the drive: HONEYWELL PENTAX CAMERAS SP2-SP2A +MANY LENS [Takumars] + MORE
07-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Heh -- maybe I'll bump into you sometime, in the photo section of that B&N.

As for Larry -- he sold me a DA*55 last week (saw his name on the receipt). Would have sold me an extra K-7 battery too if they'd had any in stock.

07-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

What filter size does the your 35mm f2 take?
07-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You'll love that lens Salty
They have a tenency for the elements to turn yellow, but I'm sur that you know what to do.
Try it first though, before I gave mine the treatment it added the nicest film look to my pic's.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What filter size does the your 35mm f2 take?
That would be a 49mm.
07-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
You'll love that lens Salty
They have a tenency for the elements to turn yellow, but I'm sur that you know what to do.
Try it first though, before I gave mine the treatment it added the nicest film look to my pic's.

That would be a 49mm.
Thanks LL, and yes it's slightly yellow, I didn't notice it in the store, there's all kinds of mixed lighting, florescent, incadescent, various lighted displays etc. but when I got it home I noticed a very slight yellow cast, sort of similar to a #2 warming filter. But I don't know what to do. I've heard something about tin foil, or maybe UV light, but being new to screwmount land I haven't a clue. I'd be very happy for anyone to enlighten me, so I can enlighten my lens.

To Blue: LL is correct, it takes a 49mm filter, of which I've got a bunch.

NaCl(LBA? what LBA? It's just that there are still some lenses I don't own yet)H2O

07-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I visited daughter at photo camp Sunday - she ran out of disk space and needed an external drive for her photos & I also dropped off the adaptall SP 35-80 for her. Yeah, she's into manual focus

Anyway, I nearly stopped at Adorama along the way - I also need a few miscbits, but had already scouted out their used listings... Lucky for my wallet, I didn't do it.

Congrats on the lens, those are awesome. Being a cheapskate I bought a Nikon FE and Nikkor 35/2 instead of a Tak or SMC K mount 35/2... came out cheaper overall but I don't think the Nikkor does everything as well as the Tak. Folks: SMC is good; remember all those low light Nat Geo photos from the 70s and 80s? The light bloom and flare is very atmospheric and vintage looking, and was due to the pros using Nikkors
07-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
. . .

That would be a 49mm.
I figured it probably was and SaltWater verified as much. However, you could have been wrong since the first 2 years that this lens was made, it allegedly took a 70mm filter.

From the Asahi Optical Historical Club:

Type / Lens / Min Ap / Max Ap/groups-elements/ min focus/ weight/ filter/ introduction/ end/ Pentax #/ Honeywell #

Super Tak 35mm f2 16(A) 7-8 .45 398 70 1966 1968 368 877
Super Tak 35mm F2 16(A) 7-8 .4 242 49 1968 1972 43931 7086

From 1972 on, it was was built as the S-M-C Tak.
Tak Wide

Last edited by Blue; 07-20-2009 at 07:03 AM.
07-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

@ Blue: I've seen a large filter version of the Tak 35mm f/2 in person - a local shop had (has?) one in stock but unfortunately the front element is very badly scratched.
07-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Having an Adorama within a hundred miles of me would be dangerous. I have the perfect solution for LBA right here in Cork, 2 photo dealers that only sell the bigger 3 or 4 (there is a separate Sony shop) and any Pentax gear is cronically overpriced. How does €599 for a DFA 100 Macro sound, its been sitting on a shelf since January.
07-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@ Blue: I've seen a large filter version of the Tak 35mm f/2 in person - a local shop had (has?) one in stock but unfortunately the front element is very badly scratched.

Thanks for the information. I have wondered how many of that version Pentax made since I've never ran into one personally. Do you recall what the shop was asking for it?
07-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
AND IT'S ALL ADORAMA'S FAULT...AND THAT STUPID TAKUMAR CLUB!

NaCl(anyone know some good recipes for peanut butter?)H2O
So you finally decided to buy some good lenses. This is a bad thing?
07-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 35/2 is a very nice lens.

it was my first venture into M42 lenses, mine is the latest Super Multi Coated version complete with aperture coupling for wide open metering on the later ES bodies.

I am still managing to curb my LBA by only getting lenses that are faster than my zooms, and with F2.8 from 28-200mm that limits things quite a bit
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

congrats on this lens.
I had been hunting it for quite a while, bought is a few months ago but it was only these very last days that I had started using it, so let me show off some of them:

I really like this lens.
The Takumar 35/3.5 is really stunning and much cheaper, but if one wants a fast 'normal' lens ( talking on APS-C dSLR ) this must be one of the best choices.
Lately I have been pondering getting an FA 35/2.
Anybody knows how they compare?

cheers,
kuuan - Andreas