Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lost 31 lens cap - any alternative?

Well, at some point my 31 lens cap went missing. Since it is usually on the camera the cap was somewhere and I can't seem to find it. I know the odds of finding a used one are slim/none, so anyone have an alternative? Is there a "generic" thing that will work (other than saran wrap and a rubber band)?

07-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Well, at some point my 31 lens cap went missing. Since it is usually on the camera the cap was somewhere and I can't seem to find it. I know the odds of finding a used one are slim/none, so anyone have an alternative? Is there a "generic" thing that will work (other than saran wrap and a rubber band)?
ouch... hope you find it mate or come up with a good alternative

Neil
07-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you mean the cap for the front of the lens? You can get generic centre-pinch ones in all the standard filter sizes. Try an online auction site, I got a few because I find them a lot faster to get off than the outer-pinch type
07-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tried PentaxWebstore - Home

07-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you won't be able to get push on one like original than 58mm clip ons shoul work just fine. You just may have to put filter or empty filter ring to make sure it stays off the front element (I don't have my 31 with me to check it for you).

BR
Peter
07-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #6

I use three empty filter rings on my 31mm and then I use an older Pentax 58mm cap. The advantage of using the filter rings is that on DSLRs, you don't get any more vignetting, but you do get a better hood as well as more protection. Be very careful using ANY lens cap with the 31mm if you don't have a filter or empty filter rings on the lens, as the front element is very close to flush with the filter threads and some caps will actually contact the front element unless you have a filter or rings.
07-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

generic pinch-type caps don't protect the petals that work as a hood for the lens

I wanted a new one because mine has a dent but couldn't find it online yet, I think the solution is to contact Pentax support as the lens is in production they should have replacements.

07-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I recall seeing someone post that they put an additional hood on theirs, to get past the petals. You can then get a lens cap to put onto the additional hood.

Of course, since your lens is now damaged :-) you can sell it to me for $31?
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If you can find a spare cap for one of the medium tele Takumars like the 135mm f2.5, they had the 58mm filter ring and slip on metal cap (or gasp, some of the 85mm lenses). Hit the shops with used gear there in LA. Another option may be the super tak 200mm.

Edit: A whole Super Tak 200mm may cost less than a new FA 31mm cap.

Edit: even if the diameter is correct, the depth may be wrong.

Last edited by Blue; 07-20-2009 at 01:24 PM.
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

b/c i shoot film, i use a 58mm uv filter and then just use a normal cap.
when shooting digital, i have a 58mm straight hood which is about the same as 3 stacked filter rings.

i do not use any of the lens caps that pentax provided w/ the fa limiteds
07-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i use a 58mm uv filter and then just use a normal cap.

i do not use any of the lens caps that pentax provided w/ the fa limiteds
Same here.