Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

i too am zoom challenged, but i do realize it is a psychological thing.
if you have a really good zoom lens, you can treat it as a "bunch of primes" and it really is all in your head

although i do mind the size, weight, slowness

07-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
how unfortunate then that pentax does not make something like Tri Elmars (28-35-50 or 16-18-21) instead of zooms
Im pretty sure Leica has the very expensive patent rights to that technology.
07-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #18

This is how I use my recently acquired zooms--as quickly interchangeable primes (isn't that supposed to be the point of a zoom, anyway?).

I used to be the primes-only-and-nothing-else type. Now I'm finding myself in situations (esp. weddings) where time doesn't permit futzing around with changing lenses. My creative mind works along the commonly cited philosophy of finding the desired perspective then choosing the focal length to crop to the appropriate field of view; this is a faster process with a zoom.

Primes force you think in terms of what the lens sees. You're crop/field of view is already selected for you, and you have to find a perspective that matches your creative vision for that shot (the reverse order of the above). If you are in certain position and need/want to rapidly take multiple photos with different fields of view from that perspective (whether that's just how your mind works, or a practical limitation), then switching primes may prove impractical if not impossible. If you have lots of time work with, then by all means a prime is nearly always preferable.

In doing professional event photography, a zoom may be the only practical way to go if your creative mind functions in the [perspective >> field-of-view] way. Many people here do primes-only weddings and do wonderful jobs, because their creative minds work in a [field-of-view >> perspective] way. The weddings I've done so far were primarily with primes, it's just that I've found that my creative mind works fastest with a zoom (e.g., I arrive at a given position/perspective, and have ideas for multiple field-of-view framings while there).

In the end, it's about the right tool for the job at hand given how one's creativity works. The equipment used should be an extension of your body, to move and technically manipulate automatically, while your mind concentrates on thinking and feeling about your composition and lighting.

Like k100d, I also mind the weight and size. There's times when an *istD w/ a pancake lens is just sooo right.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i too am zoom challenged, but i do realize it is a psychological thing.
if you have a really good zoom lens, you can treat it as a "bunch of primes" and it really is all in your head

although i do mind the size, weight, slowness

Last edited by TysonG; 07-20-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Oh, ye silly, silly typos!
07-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
This Thread sums up the reservation I have about my next potential purchase. I MISS wide angle from my film days and at the time that was an adaptall 24mm which lived on my camera. In my bag was a 55mm macro f2.8, a 135mm f2.5, a Soligor 200mm f2.8 and a 2x converter. I had everything covered. And I really enjoyed those focal lengths. I never had a moment of envy when AF came out and all around were wondering around with their AF28-80's etc as I had everything I needed and I enjoyed my photography.

Now I have the 18-55mm on camera, a 70-300mm, a 50mm f1.7 MF and the 55mm macro (adapted for PK).

I use the 18-55 at 18, the 50mm when I want 50 and the 70-300 at either 70 or 300.

I just posted a thread worrying about which wide zoom I should buy and I have spent hours looking up various reviews and mtf charts etc. I guess I already know that whichever of the 10-something zooms I buy I will use it at 10mm and maybe occasionally set at something else. So perhaps I should keep saving and get a 14 or 15tld or just go for the zoom which performs best at 10. And then start saving again for the 15mmltd - now theres a thought!

I’m off to review those mtf charts again!!

Cheers MZ

07-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It love primes, but for walk arounds with kids, it is a lot easier to use a zoom. That said, I went to the zoo the other day with my family and had the DA 40 on -- very enjoyable, but I didn't spend a lot of time capturing photos of animals -- I really couldn't without jumping in the enclosures with them to get close ups. On the other hand, if I had had a 300 prime, I would have missed a lot of photos of my family. That is where I appreciate a zoom.

I love the DA 16-50 as a walk around lens, but it takes a lot more effort to take good photos than with a prime, because the tendency really is just to zoom and shoot, rather than reframing, moving, etc.