Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K mount to 4/3 adapter

So there's been a lot of talk about pentax and FF cameras. Why not think the other way?

I have a good number of lenses now, but pentax's offerings in the tele range is a bit limited. (no pun intended). And teleconverters lose IQ.

So why not try to get pentax lenses on an Olympus (4/3 system) body. Instead of a 1.5x crop factor, I can go up to. I'm thinking something along the lines of DA* 2x200mm f2.8!

Anyone know where I can get such an adapter? I'm pretty sure that the registration distance on the Olympus is smaller then pentax so it should be theoretically possible.

Anyone?

07-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
emr

K mount lens to micro 4/3 body adapter announced:

Cosina announces F & K adapter for Micro Four Thirds.: Digital Photography Review
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm finding some of these adapters on ebay. But do anyone of them maintain auto-exposure and/or autofocus?
07-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vandamro Quote
I'm finding some of these adapters on ebay. But do anyone of them maintain auto-exposure and/or autofocus?
wishful thinking my friend

07-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have to side with K100d here. I belive those adapters are fully manual.

BR
07-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Well... I bought adapter last week. I've used my Voigtlander 58mm on it. What I have to do is to set focus manually and set apperture using ring.

You can forget AF. It is only possible to get focus indicator while you will buy version with dandelion (or additional dandelion to use some glue and implement on adapter). I have this additional but I have no glue at home now

I found no problem using auto-exposure.

What you miss? Some apperture settingsthat you are not able to set using ring.
You will also not able to use lenses without apperture ring - only wide open I think.

Two pictures what I've added to Nokton thread taken using my wife's Oly e420:

07-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chmarski Quote
You will also not able to use lenses without apperture ring - only wide open I think.
Actually, lenses without aperture ring will work only at their smallest aperture, so f/22 or something. Not very useful. Like the spider web shot by the way, very nice.

07-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Actually, lenses without aperture ring will work only at their smallest aperture, so f/22 or something. Not very useful. Like the spider web shot by the way, very nice.
Yeah, you right about aperture.
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #9

I thought adapted lenses can shoot in aperature priority also. I might be wrong. But AF definitely impossible.
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by exe163 Quote
I thought adapted lenses can shoot in aperature priority also. I might be wrong. But AF definitely impossible.

Only aperture priority in the sense that your lens has to have an aperture ring, and you set it yourself.

Also, there is no 'stopping down with the green button'. The more the lens is stopped down, the darker the viewfinder will become.

I am also very careful (and wary) to use any of my k-mount lenses, as the aperture pins come into contact very slightly with the electronic lens contacts in my panasonic L1 (man does it look good with the 40mm pancake though).

I have settled on using the L1 only with screwmount lenses only (at the moment, that collection consists of one lens for me, haha).

In regards to reach, the oly 70-300mm is very nice.
07-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought there were "in focus" lights for these manual lenses in manual focus modes. Is this true?
07-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Inactive Account

It depends on adapter. As I wrote before, you need dandelion. It is electronic module that connect to oly mount sticks.
I'm not sure how it works and if it works. I have to buy glue and check.
What I'm sure, there is no focus indicator active while using adapter without this dandelion.

I'm not sure if dandelion is good word that desctibe this elemnt in english.
If I'll remember I'll took photo of this tomorrow.
07-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a Nikon AI - PK adapter so that I could mount my Micro-Nikkor 55mm to my k100d.

£12+PP Bargain.

One problem. The adapter contains optics that are at best uncoated and at worse???? With the optics present I had manual exposure and manual focus (with confirmation) all the way to infinity. At apertures of f5.6 or less I had serious anomalies and flare.

I removed the optics and the old Nikkor came back to life but with effectively a 12mm extension AI-PK adapter so no more infinity and beyond!

Not much of a loss as it only gets used for macro work!

So beware of cheap adapters with cheap optics!

MZ
07-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I think that you need no optic for pentax lenses while using them on Olympus.
07-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I thought there were "in focus" lights for these manual lenses in manual focus modes. Is this true?
I do receive focus confirmation (not always reliable though) with the panasonic L1 and SMC 50mm f4 macro m42 lens that I have.