Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for really great advice!

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
some good advices here, looks like you set your sight at Tammy 28-75, later just get 70-200 and you're set

.............I ttake 24/2.8, 31, 40 and 50/1.7 and my wife takes 70-200/2.8. I usualy end up using 31/50 most of the time and we help ourselves with flash sometimes (we can).

It works just fine because we are both using lenghts we like and we are familiar with, therefore fully concentrating on the shots (framing etc) rather than lenses.
So my advice?: get a lens that lets you take pics you want the way you want and let the other guy cover the other end.

BR
Peter
Everybody's advice was stellar on this one, and i find it a really tough decision. I will likely follow your advice. The 28-75 is a great walk around lens. I already have an A-135f2.8 which seems to have excellent sharpness and rendering qualities, as well as a M100f2.8 which seems to work fine as well. Which means that with those 3 lenses, i've got the Pentax 50-135 range covered, albeit with more lens changes. The recent Tamron 70-200f2.8 thread is awesome with all that great bokeh and makes a fine long=term goal. Thanks everyone.

07-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Everybody's advice was stellar on this one, and i find it a really tough decision. I will likely follow your advice. The 28-75 is a great walk around lens. I already have an A-135f2.8 which seems to have excellent sharpness and rendering qualities, as well as a M100f2.8 which seems to work fine as well. Which means that with those 3 lenses, i've got the Pentax 50-135 range covered, albeit with more lens changes. The recent Tamron 70-200f2.8 thread is awesome with all that great bokeh and makes a fine long=term goal. Thanks everyone.
until wednesday 22/07/09 I'd agree with you on the highlighted part. But on that day the lens gave up on me
stuck apreture lever
oh well, I ended up with DA*50-135 instead.
from quick comparison, I like it. It's smaller and much more portable then Tamron, and focuses tad faster (IMHO). I like that it goes to 50, but I'm afraid that sometimes 135 will be bit short for me.
Anyway it still leaves me space (but no cash ) to get some nice long lens for wildlife

BR
07-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
until wednesday 22/07/09 I'd agree with you on the highlighted part. But on that day the lens gave up on me
stuck apreture lever
oh well, I ended up with DA*50-135 instead.
from quick comparison, I like it. It's smaller and much more portable then Tamron, and focuses tad faster (IMHO). I like that it goes to 50, but I'm afraid that sometimes 135 will be bit short for me.
Anyway it still leaves me space (but no cash ) to get some nice long lens for wildlife

BR
I was aware of the posts regarding stuck aperture on the Tamron, but just hoping that Tamron would get their act together and fix the problem before i get in a position to buy it. It seems to me that lens has too much potential for Tamron to ignore the problem, but maybe i don't understand the life of a production run :-) One wonders why they wouldn't try to test a lens more thoroughly before launching it.

Thanks for your feedback on the 50-135, by all accounts, quite a lens!!
07-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I was debating with myself if I should try ISO 3200 to get the one stop faster shutter speed ...but did OK with ISO 1600 and I think the IQ is a lot better at the lower ISO ...I know it is only 1EV difference, but it does make a difference with the amount of noise, especially in the darker areas of the image, and in this kind of work, there are a lot of dark areas.

Light is very deceiving in theater shots, you sit in the audience area, which is in the dark, and look at the stage which is lit. The contrast makes you think there is actually more light on stage than there actually is. I can push my K-7 to 6400, but have not tried it. I had thought your stage in Cats must have been lit a lot brighter, but I checked my metadata and both the shots I showed from Tommy were at 1/90 second, so if I had my ISO at 3200 I would have been at 1/180 also, however, your Cats set seems to be more evenly lit.
the cats shot is a few years old, i.e. pre K10D even, I have not yet done enought with the K7 to determine how it performs at 3200 ISO in similar conditions, but I would expect it to perform much better that the *istD, After all, it is almost 6 years ahead in technology, although I never had any complaints against the *istD at 3200 ISO, compared to what I could do on film.

Regarding stage lighting, you are correct, I have shot everything from relitively uniform lighting, to single spotlit subjects. Theater / stage performance is probably one of the most challenging photo activities in terms of lightng that I have found.