Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #1

Dumb question: what exactly is power zoom?

I hear a lot about lenses being "power zooms". Does this mean the zoom mechanism is motorized, or that it has an internal focusing motor, and is also a zoom lens? I don't see how a lens with a zoom ring, attached to a camera with no zoom control, can have motorized zooming.

'Splain me!

11-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The zoom mechanism is motorized.. Only works with certain cameras like the PZ series..
11-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adding to joele's explanation: On some cameras certain additional features are enabled like keeping an object which moves towards or away from the camera the same size by automatically zooming appropriately.

The zoom retracts to its shortest length when the camera is powered down.

The K10D will support the basic motorized zoom mechanism but not the more advanced (some would say gimmicky) features.
11-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Adding to joele's explanation: On some cameras certain additional features are enabled like keeping an object which moves towards or away from the camera the same size by automatically zooming appropriately.

The zoom retracts to its shortest length when the camera is powered down.

The K10D will support the basic motorized zoom mechanism but not the more advanced (some would say gimmicky) features.

My interpretation of "power zoom" is that the camera body will have a rocker switch which will "zoom" the lens in lieu of doing it manually. IOW, a high class DSLR becomes more and more like a point and shoot camera.

Just my opinion.

11-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The K10 does not have a rocker zoom control...how is that going to be implemented?
Overall, it seems like a worthless feature. No way a motor can twist the zoom ring from wide to tele as fast as (or faster than) I can.
Why would I even want it to? One of the advantages of SLR lenses is that you can zoom instantly to whatever focal length you want.
11-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
My interpretation of "power zoom" is that the camera body will have a rocker switch which will "zoom" the lens in lieu of doing it manually.
Actually the rocker switch is on the lens not the camera, though manual zoom works too
11-11-2006, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ole's full explanation page is now up: Pentax Lens Power Zoom Explained

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: