Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
Well at 5.33am, Tue the 21st of July 2009 I did it!

I looked around at all the telephotos out there with range, from the cheapo units to the huge biggies. Looked at all the post from the last few years on two forums and I did it.

I bought a Sigma Bigma and a Sigma 1.4x tele extender.

I usually stick with the Pentax brand, but I have seen some very good images with this lens, I hope it works out.

I main reason I bought it is my new machinist is also a huge volunteer (and he is huge, 6.2'-375lbs and his name is TON) for 2 wild animal rescues and he is always moving, feeding the tigers, black panthers, etc, etc.

He says that I can get fairly close to them but a few are a little lively and there are barrier fences, but shots can be taken.

I'm after some tight head shots on these guys, so I need some bigger magnification than the 300's I have (although I will take them).

They have quite a few cobras, black mambas and crate snakes also that I may be able to shoot (won't need the Bigma for those).

I'm looking forward to this little adventure, it could be pretty cool.


wll

07-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,611
Good luck on your new 'family menber' wll. And good luck with the animal rescue shots. Onliest thing I can say is practice on your arm curls, from what I've seen of the bigma, you're going to need them! I am looking forward to seeing some shots with that brute.

NaCl(bigma needs big muscles)H2O
07-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
ROFL! I did the same thing (exactly!) just before bed in the wee hours of the morning. We'll have to compare notes after a week or so with the new toys, eh?
07-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
tlwyse's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waxhaw, NC, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 209
Stupid question....what is the "Bigma"? I know it's a Sigma super-tele zoom of some sort but I've never pinned down exactly what lens model this is.

Regards,
Terry

07-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
Stupid question....what is the "Bigma"? I know it's a Sigma super-tele zoom of some sort but I've never pinned down exactly what lens model this is.

Regards,
Terry
It is the 50-500mm f4-6.3 zoom telephoto lens. It is heavy, hence its name "Bigma"

wll
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member
xjjohnno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,115
I'm also joining the Bigma crew, just ordered mine and should see it next day or so.
07-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,754
Excellent choice, wouldn't be without mine.
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
wll
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Excellent choice, wouldn't be without mine.
Mike,

How do you like the Sigma compared to the Pentax 60-250mm. I now they are not in the same class, but what are your feelings.

How do you like the sharpness of the Sigma .. is it fair, good or very good ? Do you have any pictures you can share ?


wll

07-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member
xjjohnno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,115
Mine was delivered this morning woohoo.
07-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
It is the 50-500mm f4-6.3 zoom telephoto lens. It is heavy, hence its name "Bigma"

wll
Thanks for the calrification on the weight. I always wondered why it's a "bigma" because the 70-200 is actually bigger and 50-150 is just as big.
07-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,754
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Mike,

How do you like the Sigma compared to the Pentax 60-250mm. I now they are not in the same class, but what are your feelings.

How do you like the sharpness of the Sigma .. is it fair, good or very good ? Do you have any pictures you can share ?


wll
I take the Bigma almost everywhere unless I am going to need the speed of the DA* 60-250mm. I think its a superb lens, not as good as the Pentax but not that far off IQ wise ... and with the inbody SR of Pentax handholding is not a problem even at speeds of 1/125.

These were all taken in the last few days ... 500mm, wide open at 1/125 and hand held.







A few others.







07-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Thanks for the calrification on the weight. I always wondered why it's a "bigma" because the 70-200 is actually bigger and 50-150 is just as big.
I have the 70-200/2.8 (old non-Macro, non-SDM) and the Bigma right in front of me and Bigma is longer (about 2 inches, even in its shortest 50mm position) and much wider (86mm filter thread compared to the 70-200's 77mm) - not to speak of the much heftier tripod collar and the overall weight. How comes your impression, that the 70-200 would be bigger?

Ben
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I take the Bigma almost everywhere unless I am going to need the speed of the DA* 60-250mm. I think its a superb lens, not as good as the Pentax but not that far off IQ wise ... and with the inbody SR of Pentax handholding is not a problem even at speeds of 1/125.

These were all taken in the last few days ... 500mm, wide open at 1/125 and hand held.
Mike, I envy your steadiness. I needed months of using the Bigma, to get sharp handheld shots at around 1/250s and shorter - and even that is hit and miss. I get reliably sharp shots only, when I employ at least a monopod. I don't doubt your experience and your beautiful images speak for themselves - but in my own experience one needs to invest some time and practicing and some patience to get the best results out of this lens (as with all really long lenses).

So, folks, if your results are not immediately as good as Mike's (and mine weren't), don't give up!

Ben
07-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I have the 70-200/2.8 (old non-Macro, non-SDM) and the Bigma right in front of me and Bigma is longer (about 2 inches, even in its shortest 50mm position) and much wider (86mm filter thread compared to the 70-200's 77mm) - not to speak of the much heftier tripod collar and the overall weight. How comes your impression, that the 70-200 would be bigger?

Ben
I have mostly been comparing online shots, so I might have been mistaken in my research I don't think I'm in the market for the Bigma myself, though
07-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
wll
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mission Hills, CA
Posts: 773
Original Poster
Bigma Arrived Tue ;-)

I have not have a chance to use it yet, I will shoot some backyard stuff and post it in a day or so.



wll
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bigma, k-mount, pentax lens, shots, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Falling Water, Seattle, 3 July 2009 plumbob78 Monthly Photo Contests 0 10-24-2010 09:49 AM
July 2009 Winner: Commuters mrcrontab Winners' Showcase 11 09-26-2009 06:36 PM
July 2009 Runner-Up: Perfect Dawn robjmitchell Winners' Showcase 8 09-09-2009 09:45 PM
Expired Theme Theme: Contest #35, July, 2009 Adam Monthly Photo Contests 0 06-02-2009 01:22 AM
FA50/1.4 in stock at B&H (Tue 0800 PST) volosong Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 12-20-2006 02:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top