Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Which filters to make the sky bluer, etc.?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looking to add a little to my photo's, and was wondering what else I could add onto the front of my lens (besides the clear protector) to make the sky bluer, or more orance, red, etc. Where to start for these items for a standard kit lens?

Thanks a lot.

vmax84

07-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A polarizer would have the effect of making the sky deeper blue, as well as cutting down on bright reflections off shiny surfaces. Any other color change you wanted to make to the sky would affect the whole picture - an orange filter might make the sky more orange (although mostly that just makes it look less blue and darker) but also makes *everything* more orange. For the most part, aside from a polarizer, anything you might consider doing with a filter is done far more effectively in software PP after the fact.
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
A polarizer would have the effect of making the sky deeper blue, as well as cutting down on bright reflections off shiny surfaces. Any other color change you wanted to make to the sky would affect the whole picture - an orange filter might make the sky more orange (although mostly that just makes it look less blue and darker) but also makes *everything* more orange. For the most part, aside from a polarizer, anything you might consider doing with a filter is done far more effectively in software PP after the fact.
I've gotta spend more time with the post processing stuff!!

vmax84
07-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any suggestions for my 49mm manual focus lens and 52mm for my autofocus kit lens? I've looked around, and there are just so many choices.

vmax84

07-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You CAN effectively use orange, red or blue filters with B&W film to darken or lighten certain colors/tones. In general, an orange or red filter will darken blue tones and lighten reds, while a blue one will darken reds and lighten blues (get the relationship?). I used to use a green filter when shooting men's portraits on B&W film because it accented the rougher texture of male skin. NEVER, however, use a green filter for women's portraits unless you are a masochist!!!

I assume though that you are shooting digital or film-based color photos. For that, as Marc says, a polarizer is best. Be aware though that the closer the sun is to the axis of the lens the less pronounced the effect of rotating the polarizer will be. They work best at right angles to the sun.

Mike
07-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For now, I'm just trying to keep "it simple". Spin a different filter on the front of the lens and see what happens. I like having a nice deep blue sky in my pics, and then experiment from there.

vmax84
07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
For now, I'm just trying to keep "it simple". Spin a different filter on the front of the lens and see what happens. I like having a nice deep blue sky in my pics, and then experiment from there.

vmax84
Any circular polarizer with deepen your skies without affecting your color balance. Start there and play with it. The effect will be most pronounced at 90 degrees perpendicular to the sun. The closer you get to the sun (or antipodal point, directly opposite of the sun), the less of an effect the polarizer will have.

07-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Amazon.com: Tiffen 52mm Circular Polarizer: Electronics

Something like this?

vmax84
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exactly like that.
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Playing with effects? Here's a neat trick: If you are shooting a relatively close subject against a blue sky, you can change your white balance setting to tungsten -- that will make the skay an electric blue. Then use a flash with a CTO gel (orange filter) to light your subject. Your subject will be colored normally and your background will be VERY blue.
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Look in the Cokin filter system. They have "intensifier" which are graduated. At least, they used to. I feel too lazy to check myself, right now.
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
One good way to deepen sky colors is to use a graded neutral density filter. This is a filter dark at the top & shading to clear on the bottom. When used with the dark side on top it will decrease the sky's exposure, hence make the sky darker & more deeply colored.

They are easy to use and effective.

See: filter nd grad, great deals on Cameras Photo on eBay!

Dave
07-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing to remember about filters is that they block light. So if you use say a red filter it is not adding red light but blocking all the other colors but red. So if some thing has no red in it all it will do is make it darker until it is black. You can’t make a sky red by add a red filter unless there is red it the sky. So to make the sky red you have to remove the cyan in the sky PP and make that red. This is why for the most part in digital photography you mostly only use a polarizer and maybe neutral gray filters, as it is so easy to do the other stuff PP. There is one exception I have read about but have not had a chance to play with my self yet. You could try a blue/yellow polarizer (or some call it a gold blue polarizer). Here is a link to what it can do. B-Y Polarizer

DAZ
07-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would I want plexiglass or glass for a lens? I'm assuming glass.

vmax84
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Small-diameter polarisers shouldn't cost too much compared to a lens. Don't skimp out and get a super cheap filter. It will waste the good money you spent on getting a decent lens in the first place.

I'm not too familiar with Tiffen, but most polariser brands have a range of cheap to higher-quality filters. I use the Hoya Pro1 which work well and are a reasonably priced higher end filter.

Last edited by CWyatt; 07-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.