Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optics from zoom lens

Is there any use for these lens parts? I was thinking extension tube but have seen this only done with a teleconverter's optics. I have the main glass from the front of the lens (makes a good magnifying lens), I have two together in a tube looking object (I couldn't get them apart), and a smaller piece of glass (not sure if it magnifies or not). What can I do with them?

07-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Teleconverters can be made into extension tubes as they have both parts of the bayonet mount at oposite ends of a solid tube. Broken lenses are not so easy to make use of. The optics (or at least some of them) can be used as hand hels magnifyers, the bayonet can be used to mend / modify / convert another lens. There are a lot of potenitally usefull parts in a broken lens but only if you are into lens repair.
07-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, that answered my questions. Thanks Matt.

The one bigger lens that was in front is good for magnifying so I'll keep it for that. The other piece that has a lens at both ends would probably make a good loupe if I had a lightboard.

I guess I'll just junk the rest of it. Not much use to me torn apart like it is.
07-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Take the glass out and assemble the body with a bit of card or plastic across the bottom and you have a handy pen and pencil holder for your desk.
( even better with a canonikon lens )

07-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you stick a bit of card onto the bayonet mount, make a hole in the card, stick a bit of foil over the hole and push a pin through it and you have a pinhole lens - these can work quite well and they have NO chromatic aberration!