Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

Got my Pentax 15mm f/4 Limited

whoo-hooo! i got my 15mm limited last night

no pics yet because i got home really late and didn't really have time to play with it other than taking a couple of test shots. in fact, i won't have time to take pictures until this saturday but here are some first impressions:
  • it's VERY compact!!! obviously it's not as small as the 40mm pancake (which is my favorite lens so far) but it's still very small and will be very easy to walk around with which is exactly what i wanted.
  • the look and feel is just great. focus is smoooooth. i should expect that from a limited but it's still nice to handle the lens and be impressed with it.
  • the field of view is definitely wide this is new territory for me so it will take a lot of thought and practice composing shots. so i guess i will just have to go out an take a whole lot of pictures...
  • lastly, there was a thread asking about filters and the hood and what i can say is that regular 49mm filters will work just fine. i got a UV filter on the lens now and will be ordering a circular polarizer filter (forgot to order one with the lens). don't know about the square filter systems though...

ps, i know there are a few threads on this lens already but 1 more won't hurt...

08-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #2

Original Poster
this thread has been dead for a couple of weeks but i FINALLY got around to posting some pics taken with this lens:
My Picasa Web Album

below is one of them.

disclaimers: above is my personal site so pics have not been post-processed at all, except b&w conversions and 1 where i added some vignetting. otherwise they have been resized and reduced in quality for the web. all shots were taken with my k100d.
lastly, most pics were taken while consuming substantial amount of beer so i wasn't going for any photography awards, just out having fun taking random pics with this lens. it was the only lens i took to the event and i really liked how light and compact it was, especially after seeing people hauling their seemingly huge canikon cameras and zoom lenses.

08-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Click on the image to view it in a larger size

Actually, a smaller image comes up. It's much less pixelated, so it's actually better.

What JPEG compression ar you using? Setting it to 10 (out of 12) usually gives small files with little/no loss in IQ.

Funky shot, though
08-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
the "larger size" caption and pop-up are done automatically by the forum and they are not part of the original post (or anything i have control over).
in any case, you are right about the pic looking better smaller! thanks for the comment

with regard to compression, i very recently set up lightroom and picasa so i'd have to check the settings on both. i am assuming that both are lowering the IQ which is fine by me because i plan on uploading higher quality and better pics to my own site and/or flickr. (my own site is a project i've been meaning to get off the ground for years but that's another story...)

for now i just wanted to share that the 15mm was a great walk-around lens if you like spending time at the wide end

08-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I love my 15mm Ltd as well! And I also like to use the "larger size" caption & popup even though the image gets smaller. :P

I share with you all an example of this wonderfully wideangle walkaround lens:

Last edited by Shashinki; 08-05-2009 at 04:24 PM.