Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What Is It? Can anyone recognise this lens

Can anyone help here.

I used to use this lovely old Soligor 200mm f2.8 on my Nikon FA. The question I have concerns the removable mount. I would love to get a PK version of this mount so that I can then start using it on my K100D but I am unsure as to what it is.

My research so far suggests that Soligor were great users of the T4 mount, however, I remain unconvinced as this lens seems a little later than the T4 mount – this leaves the TX and again I understand that this mount was used by Vivitar only.

I took the lens to my local and wonderful camera shop (T&B Photographic, Romford) and the extremely helpful guys there were also unsure.

Here follows photographs...
The Soligor 200mm
The mount removed
and again
The Nilon AI side (I believe that the T4 Mount used by Soligor was Nikon F)
The lens side of the mount
The Soligor 200mm f2.8

I was just wondering if anyone out there has this lens or recognises the type of mount used.
The lens was a fave on my Nikon, as you can imagine, and I would love to resurrect it for my K100D.
I will be grateful for any information.

Cheers MZ

07-23-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

MZ,
my best guess is that you have a TX-mount there. Could also be the very similar predecessor T4 mount. Please scroll down here, SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide to get to that mount system. Rick Oleson states that you could either try the T4 or TX adapter, where the TX would allow open aperture metering (big question mark I think). Your pic of the naked back does show only half the back. Maybe there's a 'TX' engraving somewhere?

If so, the easiest of course would be to search for a TX/T4 adapter to PK. If you find these are traded like gold, you might consider searching for Vivitar or Soligor lenses of that era with the PK mount or M42 mount. If you can see those tell-tale switches on the outer barrel you might go for the lens just to get that adapter off of it.

Good luck in hunting,
Georg
BTW found an aperture conversion tutorial here,
Glass, Metal and Silicium - Modification of a T4 to M42 adapter

Last edited by georgweb; 07-23-2009 at 02:44 AM.
07-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Or, just mount it on your K100D with the Nikon mount and be careful.
07-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have that very lens. It came with an OM mount as I recall.

I removed everything beyond the aperture ring & used the existing screw holes to mount a "flange-type" m42-K adapter with holes in the appropriate locations.

This left a few gaps between the mounting flange and the lens body because of irregularities. I easily light-sealed the gaps with an O ring. I did not have to adjust anything for infinity focus....the dimensions magically worked.

It never crossed my mind that it might have been a TX or T4 or whatever mount, but it looked identical to what you showed during disassembly.

I like the lens.

Dave in Iowa

PS I'd first try to use it as-is. It looks like you may have complexities with your aperture ring.

Last edited by newarts; 07-23-2009 at 08:02 AM.
07-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

That's not a T4 or TX mount. It is a proprietary mount, perhaps used only by Soligor and may have been known as IS. Not certain who made this lens series but it may have been Sun.
07-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Casualcollector,
you gotta be right with that I-S mount, never heard of it. Here's what I found:

You might ask this seller for an I-S to PK adapter (at the moment it's only Fuji and Minolta), Soligor I-S lens mount for Minolta MD, brand new. box on eBay (end time 14-Aug-09 21:05:03 BST)

Here's an I-S PK 70-150: soligor i-s mount 70-150mm f3.5 zoom lens with pk mount on eBay (end time 16-Aug-09 17:02:10 BST)

Somebody claimed that there is a similar looking Soligor U-S mount which is not interchangable with the I-S mount.
Best, Georg (the other)
07-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much guys

The lens is definately I-S mount! It has the IS designation. Thats one little mystery solved.

Now I'm off to follow those links to my nearest IS PK mount/lens

Cheers MZ