Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #16

Apparently Pentax designed this lens just for me, and not many other people. There is a lot of dogging of this lens online, however, the 21L is why I switched from Canon to Pentax. I needed portable, high-quality, prime lenses suitable for the trail.

I wanted a prime lens (kit of lenses) for landscapes taken while backpacking. That means...

- I don't care about anything below f3.2 as I usually have it at f8+. Many complain about it being slow at 'only' f3.2. Not me because Pentax saved me the extra weight of carrying something like the Canon 20mm in my pack. The Canon weighs three times as much, and I would probably go with a zoom at that weight.

- I usually use manual focus. I agree there are plenty of AF issues that Pentax needs to address, and I also have AF issues with this lens. I guess I just lucked out in that I don't usually use AF anyway with this one (and my 40L is usually accurate with AF).

- Even if the zoom is as good as a prime, the K10/K100 bodies with the 21L are much nicer to carry from sunrise to sunset compared to the added weight of the zoom.

I realize that if Pentax meant this lens to be something that everyone will love, they have probably failed. They got me though ;-)

I took some stunning photos with the K10D/21L while backpacking in the Great Smoky Mts National Park last weekend and I had the lightest pack in a group of people that weren't even carrying any camera gear. Thank you Pentax for making a lens suited for such a tiny fraction of the market. ;-)

Ben (among others) does have legitimate complaints if the product is not working for his purpose and Pentax should offer an alternative. Hopefully as Pentax's lineup pans out in the next couple of years we will all be satisfied.

-dak

05-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
Apparently Pentax designed this lens just for me, and not many other people.
I must be one of the other ones

Picked this up just before my florida trip (mostly disney/orlando).
Love it! The DS & 21mm is small enough to fit in a cheap waist pack from walmart, with room to spare. Also carried my 'faster' F50/1.7 for indoors. Worked well for me and my eyes.
05-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #18

My cheap waist-pack didn't come from wally-mart... but it's the same idea. I'm currently making my own pack designed just for the camera and a prime lens (since nobody else makes one for that purpose). We'll see how ugly this turns out in a couple of days.
05-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Well..I am getting another 21mm Limited from Pentax. It seems that the 21 Limited doesn't like me at all...FF and BF issues have been endemic. Could have been a bad batch, but I hope this one works out as I really like that focal length and would use it in many applications if I felt confident in doing so. Until that happens I am using the Pentax 12-24.
Can you send the "FF and BF" plagued lenses to me?

05-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK...Dak & David

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote

Picked this up just before my florida trip (mostly disney/orlando).
Love it! The DS & 21mm is small enough to fit in a cheap waist pack from walmart, with room to spare. Also carried my 'faster' F50/1.7 for indoors. Worked well for me and my eyes.
Ok Dak and David..Send me yours and I'll send you mine...Deal?

With my luck they will both be off and I will have a nervous breakdown, quit photography and open a "Ben & Jerry's" Ice Cream store in Albany, New York...
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bad Kharma

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Can you send the "FF and BF" plagued lenses to me?
I wouldn't want to do that to you...Bad Kharma.
05-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
And I am yet another. However, the lens may fail under conditions - as Ben suggests - that I simply don't encounter, in which case - again as Ben suggests - the point is moot.

Jer
05-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #23

Ben,

as I said in my post, I too have had AF problems with the lens, but, for my use, I don't need AF as you do (Hemlocks are slow trees). The optics test fine, but AF is not as good as with the DA40. I wouldn't want to send anything that would attribute to a breakdown.

Dave,

How fas is Ottawa from Algonquin? I spent nine days in a canoe there three years ago... just before I went digital. The old Minolta X-700 served me well on that trip (with a 28 and 50 prime, of course). I'll be back!

05-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
Photozone just posted the test of the DA 21mm:
It seems to be the worse of all the Limiteds (FA and DA)
I don't agree. You cannot compare with other limiteds with less wide focal lengths. And it does very well compared with Nikon or Canon counterparts.
05-09-2007, 04:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Next Week

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
And I am yet another. However, the lens may fail under conditions - as Ben suggests - that I simply don't encounter, in which case - again as Ben suggests - the point is moot.

Jer

Hi Jer;

I'll get another 21L next week and report back to you all...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
05-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
B
Dave,

How fas is Ottawa from Algonquin? I spent nine days in a canoe there three years ago... just before I went digital. The old Minolta X-700 served me well on that trip (with a 28 and 50 prime, of course). I'll be back!
Sounds like a great trip. Where did you go? I keep a canoe routes map on my office wall, you got me dreaming again

I'm almost exactly 1.5 hours from putting a canoe in McManus Lake in Algonquin park. That is an annual Labour day weekend trip for all the guys on my wife's side of the family. My DS & gear has gone in the last 2 years, film before that. Haven't done a major trip for quite a number of years now.

I'm also about 1 hour from Ottawa, so that puts Ottawa about 2.5 hours from the park.
05-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #27

Dave,

I'll have to dig out the map because I can't remember any of the lake names. I'd love to live that close to the park. I think it was a 15 hour drive from Ohio, but well worth it. Four guys in a rented minivan crammed full of gear for 15 hours... that's living! We entered the park on the north side, then drove down a 30 mile gravel road. Actually maybe it was only 12-13 hours, because I think Boundary Waters MN was the 15 hour trip.

Enjoy the water,
-dak