Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are lenses cheaper in Japan?

Hi - I'm going to Tokyo in November with some friends and was looking at getting either a 16-50mm DA* f2.8 or the 35mm macro limited.

Does anybody know if lenses are cheaper in Japan and if so, is the difference worth it?

Thanks in advance

07-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I donŽt know about prices but as it wonŽt be covered by warranty except with expensive shipping, I wouldnŽt buy without testing on the camera beforehand. I imagine if youŽre away on holiday youŽll have your camera though so it wonŽt be a problem.
07-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah that's a good point on the warranty...
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe, but considering most lenses are not made in Japan anymore and therefore imported there I don't think there'll be much difference in price. If there were ebay would be flooded with japanese sellers selling lenses to american customers and the rest of the world.

07-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the answer is NO, not even close, i went a month ago
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are the prices on Pentax lenses from Bic Camera. The prices are in red and I'm sure you can read the lens names easily enough. Do your own math on the exchange rates. If you find a bargain, let us know.
07-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the answer is NO, not even close, i went a month ago
Appreciate the brutal honesty
07-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Here are the prices on Pentax lenses from Bic Camera. The prices are in red and I'm sure you can read the lens names easily enough. Do your own math on the exchange rates. If you find a bargain, let us know.
Thanks, will do - I'm going in Nov so I may use this link 'round Oct.

07-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Higher cost of living in Japan..also translates to higher prices.
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
and
Site Supporter

Cheapest lens prices in general is in the US of A. Japan is in some cases very expensive indeed.
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Forum Member

I agree, Japanese camera gear prices are not at all low; the U.S. is probably a better bet for low prices.

However, one advantage Japan does have, especially if you're in Tokyo, is a huge amount of variety -- there are a lot of camera shops, used and new, and they cater to a generally picky and knowledgeable audience. You can find some stuff that may be hard to come across elsewhere, and used stuff is generally in very good condition.

So if you're going on a trip anyway, it seems worth a look 'round even if you don't think you'll buy anything...
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

lately ive been going around here in tokyo.. i can say the brand new cams are a bit higher compared to US price, but stores here in Tokyo are competitive in terms of secondhand shops.. plus this second hand shops offers a lot of brands and sometimes the secondhand units have not been used at all... you see some japanese they tend to buy a gadget and sometimes they dont use (i dont know why) and then they sell again.. some items are nearly unused, like only used once or twice... and the best thing that this shops offer is that u can exchange your item within 10days from date of purchase, NO QUESTIONS asked.. ahaha.!
02-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

"Are lenses cheaper in Japan?"

No.

Because the American market is both the largest, most competitive and desirable market for a manufacturer to have a presence in, retail prices in the States for most anything from anywhere is the lowest in the world as a general rule.

For instance my Zeiss binoculars were cheaper in New York than in Berlin.
02-10-2010, 02:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Higher cost of living in Japan..also translates to higher prices.
Is the cost of living in China high? No.. it is not. Are lenses expensive? Yes they are.

Although, who does knows how far you can beat the clerks down.
02-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Is the cost of living in China high? No.. it is not. Are lenses expensive? Yes they are.

Although, who does knows how far you can beat the clerks down.
Beating the clerks down sounds like strong armed robbery to me.