Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Trying to decide between 50mm Macro vs 35mm Macro Lens

Trying to decide which macro lens I would get the most use out of. If you were buying which lens would you choose and why?

Thanks,

07-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what do you want the lens for???
General walkaround + macro? DA35.
Macro and maybe portrait? DFA50 (though withou macro FA50/1.4 would serve u best)
Macro only? I'd skip them both ang for 100ish macro.
It's really hard to say without knowing what do you want to do with the lens...

BR
Peter
07-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Trying to decide which macro lens I would get the most use out of. If you were buying which lens would you choose and why?

Thanks,
I think there are a few considerations:

1) If you've no fast 35mm but do have a fast 50mm, then maybe you'd like a fast wider field for non-macro work.

2) If you've no fast 50mm but do have a fast 35mm, then maybe you'd like a fast narrower field for non-macro work.

3) You'll find the 35mm macro lens a little easier to hand-hold at a particular magnification, but a little harder to provide adequate lighting for (the lens is so close to the subject it interferes with light a bit.)

4) You'll find it a little easier to compose a macro shot with the 50mm lens - the longer focal length's perspective makes background stuff bigger & fuzzier (this is a good thing usually.)

5). What focal lengths do you prefer? I find little use for wide lenses because I'm in a rut of composing photos with a closely cropped emphasis on a subject - no waist/head portraits for me! Dumb, I know, but that's a consideration for me.

Here's an example of the focal length effect on macro background:

Dave in Iowa
07-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with axl. If the main purpose is macro work you should go with a longer focal length so that you can put some distance between the lens and the object. In my experience 100mm is a good focal length for the APS-C sensor size.

07-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Sound advice - I have a 24, 35 and 50 - I love the 24 and 35 for hiking, I can take landscapes and great flower shots without swapping and the 35 is very compact - the 24 is also great for food photography at resturants, but it's huge - I would love to exchange the 50 for a 90 or 100mm for improved working distance and perspective.