Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

First photo shoot with the 31mm Limited

I did another photo shoot with Samantha the other day. The day was pretty overcast. On a whim, I just brought one lens... my new 31mm 1.8 Limited. It's been on my camera nearly exclusively since I got it. I feel the lens performed very well. It seems right at home in front of the K10D. Your thoughts are welcome...

Something a little different...

You can see the entire set here: SmugMug - Hamid Shibata Bennett's photo galleries

05-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I always get a kick out of the accidental self-portrait.... heavily cropped...

05-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I hope you offered that girl a breath mint. J/K ! I do like the second pic best out of the four.
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice use of the 31! Like the first shot best (love the background). 2nd shot my next favorite. Samantha did a nice job modeling. Not sure I would be brave enough to take only 1 lens. You pulled it off well.
thanks
barondla

05-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Not sure I would be brave enough to take only 1 lens. You pulled it off well.
The 31 has rarely left my camera since I've gotten it! I'm going to go shoot doggies tomorrow, so I'll probably use a few others.
05-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

Nice pictures, subject wise.

However, I expected much sharper results from that lens. Was it focused properly? Also, maybe you should have stopped it down a bit to 2.8-4?
05-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
Nice pictures, subject wise.

However, I expected much sharper results from that lens. Was it focused properly? Also, maybe you should have stopped it down a bit to 2.8-4?
I live wide open or near to it. I'm not so into over-sharpened photos, especially for portraits, that have become so commonplace. My eyes certainly don't see the world that way... there's a time and place for stopping down (brick wall tests, anyone?)... but for me, this isn't it. Thanks for your thoughts.

05-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first one best...
but I have to admit, being a "lighting freak" I enjoyed the lighting of your first photo shoot with her better (for head magazine). Nothing to say that anything is wrong with these shots, though
BTW, she rocks!
what a nice looking lady

randy
05-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I like the first one best...
but I have to admit, being a "lighting freak" I enjoyed the lighting of your first photo shoot with her better (for head magazine). Nothing to say that anything is wrong with these shots, though
BTW, she rocks!
what a nice looking lady
I agree with you. The lighting was better at the last shoot and we were around more green and spring blooms. Just a perfect day. On this one, it was overcast, so we choose locations (around downtown Portland, Oregon near the train station, under bridges, etc) to keep with the colder tone of the day. Gotta take what ol' mother nature throws at us, eh?

These were shot were for submission to another publication, similar to Heads. I want to send them more of a variety, so we're going to try for another shoot this weekend. Hopefully it will be nice out!

I realized this thread should have been posted in the Post Your Pictures forum. Oops! I'll post a few from the next shoot there.
05-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hamid,

I retract my previous comments after looking at your site. The photos look MUCH better there. Did you use some stronger jpeg compression for posting here?

The shots on the site are beautiful.
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
Hamid,

I retract my previous comments after looking at your site. The photos look MUCH better there. Did you use some stronger jpeg compression for posting here?

The shots on the site are beautiful.
No worries. You're right though... the smugmug site jpgs look different from these in this thread. They were linked from flickr. Looks like flickr changes some things and resizes the image (who knows what else?). I was having problems linking from the smugmug site before and used flickr primarily to post samples on the various message boards.

I'll be sure and post a link to the smugmug site and a disclaimer when I post flickr images.

Thank you for going back and looking.

For everyone else... to see the un-flickr-ized images, go here: SmugMug - Hamid Shibata Bennett : Samantha R 5/3/07

Here's one of them:

Last edited by hamidlmt; 05-10-2007 at 04:46 PM.