Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F series - colour rendition?

Hi everybody.

I only have one F series lens. It's 50/1.7. Great lens IMHO and I find 50mm on APSC very pleasing for portraits. Anyway, that aside, there is one more thing I like about this lens (especialy when used for portraits). Unlike my other Pentax primes (31 and 40 ltds) this one has rather cool tone to it. Kind of bordering on the blue tint (though not really bordering but I don't have shot handily to show it). I haven't done side by side, but I'd say F50 is coldest out of those three Pentax primes. And despite this kind of rendering is not typicaly Pentax-like, I do really like it.
And here's the question for other F series users:
Is this kind of cold rendering specific to this lens (or even my copy) or is it characteristic of the whole F series?

Thank you for your time and answers.

BR
Peter

07-25-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the Pentax Lens Review Database - 70-210mm F4-5.6 Ole said:
QuoteQuote:
The only issue I have with it that it reproduces color visibly different than my other lenses. It's quite some work sometimes to adjust the color balance to match the other lenses.
I would believe that a blueish tint on the coating will give you a cooler color cast. This is the case in my sample of the a.-m. lens (front and back showing blueish tint, SMC version serial 108xxx) and I'd say it gives cooler colors. It is not much though, and for cooler lenses I'll put a Skylight 1A or B filter on them in daylight conditions (night shots actually benefit from less red channel clipping so I leave the filter off then).

I know the coating vs. rendition color is disputed but I have found it to be the majority rule.

Best, Georg (the other)

Last edited by georgweb; 07-25-2009 at 03:55 AM.
07-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Georg.

As I wrot, I actually like this rendition when used for people, and I don't try to correct it with filters.
I'm interested if other F series (or other lenses) would have the same characteristic.
BR
Peter
07-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also own the F 50 f1,7 (and love it). To me it delivers really neutral results, not really blueish. The A-50 (f1,4) I had before did give a warmer tone to pictures, and so does my Sigma 17-70, so you could say the F is cooler in comparison. However, it looks just like what my Pentax FA 100-300 delivers, so I would not call it a colour cast.

QuoteQuote:
would believe that a blueish tint on the coating will give you a cooler color cast.
If you can see a blue reflection, it means blue is reflected, not let through...

07-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Is this kind of cold rendering specific to this lens (or even my copy) or is it characteristic of the whole F series?
I hadn't really noticed anything until taking the same shot back to back with the Pentax-F 35-135mm f3.5-4.5 and primes like the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5. The Pentax-F stood out dramatically in some shots. In my 28mm lens test, the F28/2.8 looked pretty close to the DA 18-55mm. This is the kind of thing that goes right over my head until I start looking for it, so I will pay attention in the future.
07-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I hadn't really noticed anything until taking the same shot back to back with the Pentax-F 35-135mm f3.5-4.5 and primes like the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5. The Pentax-F stood out dramatically in some shots. In my 28mm lens test, the F28/2.8 looked pretty close to the DA 18-55mm. This is the kind of thing that goes right over my head until I start looking for it, so I will pay attention in the future.
well I think this answers the question. If F28 is close to DA kit in rendition, than that's bit different from my 50 and that's really it. Because it was really 28 I was contemplating getting.

thanks Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I also own the F 50 f1,7 (and love it). To me it delivers really neutral results, not really blueish. The A-50 (f1,4) I had before did give a warmer tone to pictures, and so does my Sigma 17-70, so you could say the F is cooler in comparison. However, it looks just like what my Pentax FA 100-300 delivers, so I would not call it a colour cast.

If you can see a blue reflection, it means blue is reflected, not let through...
I never said my F50 has colour cast. If I worded it so, I'm sorry for confusion. I was just saying that it is cool. Substantialy different from DA18-55 and DA40 and DA*50-135 and FA31. And I rather like this cool tone, and was wondering if it's the characteristic of the whole F series or not..

BR
Peter
07-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quick and dirty images of one DA limited, two FA limiteds and two F primes.

All taken at F4, iso 100 in aperture priority with +1 EV compensation with natural light on tripod with 2 sec delay. JPEG from camera. K10D.

Hope this helps.

DA21

F 28

F43

FA77

F 135

07-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

FA 77 is not in focus. Had to try four times before I got a sharp one here....

Still it is no match to my FA43. Check the wrinkles on the book cover, every detail is visible in the 43 shot, that plastic bottle looks like a plastic bottle...the whole image is more real with the 43. Do i have an extra nice sample of the 43 or a not so good sample of the FA77 ?